+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New international graduates 40000 stream

Tombell1997

Dec 4, 2020
Hello

One of the eligibility requirements to apply for the new permanent residency application for international graduates opening on the 6th of May says this "Be employed in Canada with a valid permit or authorization to work pursuant to the Act and Regulations at the time the application"

I'm a little bit confused on the "authorization to work " part, I graduated humber college with diploma in 2020 but now I go to university of Toronto as an undergraduate, I don't have pgwp but I have a study that allows me to work 20 hours a week and I have a job, does this Qualify as authorization to work?

Tombell1997

Dec 4, 2020
But my study permit gives me authorization to work for 20 hours per week during school times and full time during the holidays

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
But my study permit gives me authorization to work for 20 hours per week during school times and full time during the holidays

So here's my understanding,

If you're applying under the gradate stream, you basically need authorization under implied status or PGWP. Since you need to have got your completion letter to apply, which in that case you can't continue working on SP until you apply PGWP.

If you're applying under the essential worker stream ( if you don't have your completion letter yet ) , you basically need authorization work, which students have under study permits too.

Note: IRCC hasn't mentioned of any rules or regulations specifying that students work exp or auth won't count.

Reactions: Tombell1997

mikeymyke

Apr 24, 2021
Even though its not explicitly stated, I do believe study permit holders are eligible as it's stated that a study permit grants authorization to work, unless you have a condition on your permit that says you're not allowed to.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Study permit holders are eligible, if they have previously completed a program and are now studying in a new program.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am an international graduate with degrees from Ontario high school, Undergrad degree and professional degree. I can’t work because I was denied work permit since I already had one post graduation work permit before. Currently, I am waiting for my status to be restored to a visitorship and have applied to H&C. Is there anyway I will be eligible for this? I would be employed had I been granted a work permit, I was working and had a contract.
For the streams, You need to be working at the time you apply for PR in one of the listed NOCs. So you aren’t eligible if you don’t have work authorization. Look at CEC since you had PGWP and hopefully one year of Canadian experience or FSW.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am an international graduate with degrees from Ontario high school, Undergrad degree and professional degree. I can’t work because I was denied work permit since I already had one post graduation work permit before. Currently, I am waiting for my status to be restored to a visitorship and have applied to H&C. Is there anyway I will be eligible for this? I would be employed had I been granted a work permit, I was working and had a contract.
Unfortunately you won't be eligible. One of the requirements is that you have authorization to work.

Varunp

Apr 25, 2021
Hey guys if any one of you can shed some light on my situation I would be very thankful. Me and my common law partner want to apply for the new stream where I would be the main applicant.I have two diplomas from here in Canada and We both also got our Ielts done 6 months ago. My main issue is that I have to currently be employed at the time of the application. Since September 2020 everyone in my company has been temporarily laid off because of government rules ( all non essential businesses to close)and I have been collecting CERB since September 2020. I can easily get a letter from my HR stating that I am still an employee of the company and will start working as soon as the government gives us the green light to open up do you guys think this will be enough to satisfy the “currently employed “ situation? Any help on this would be very appreciated Thank you ❤