+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New immigration law, and some final questions

SeoulSearcher

Feb 11, 2016
Hi,

Just about to send in the application, but a few questions have arisen.

1. The Liberals are saying they will change the law with regards to spousal PR where the PR will be given much faster, even upon landing. With this being on their agenda, is it a good idea to wait before sending in the application and paying the 1,000+ dollar fee?

2. One of the things we are supposed to provide is proof that we intend to live in Canda after my wife gets her PR. What exactly can we show? I do not have a job offer there yet, no property. All this I will have once I move but at this point I have nothing tangible to show as proof (other than the fact that I took so much time out of my life, and spent so much money to put together this application)

3. Is the fee for me (as sponsor) and my wife (principal applicant) really over $1000?

4. We are applying as outland. If I mail the application from within Canada would that cause any problems? I ask this because I am flying out on Thursday this week, and if I have not completed the application by then I may complete it in Candada and send it from there. My wife will be in Korea.

Thank you

km9203

Aug 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-07-2015
AOR Received.
26/02/2016 OWP 30-09-2015
Med's Done....
Sent with app
LANDED..........
02-02-2017
SeoulSearcher said:
Hi,

Just about to send in the application, but a few questions have arisen.

1. The Liberals are saying they will change the law with regards to spousal PR where the PR will be given much faster, even upon landing. With this being on their agenda, is it a good idea to wait before sending in the application and paying the 1,000+ dollar fee?

2. One of the things we are supposed to provide is proof that we intend to live in Canda after my wife gets her PR. What exactly can we show? I do not have a job offer there yet, no property. All this I will have once I move but at this point I have nothing tangible to show as proof (other than the fact that I took so much time out of my life, and spent so much money to put together this application)

3. Is the fee for me (as sponsor) and my wife (principal applicant) really over $1000?

4. We are applying as outland. If I mail the application from within Canada would that cause any problems? I ask this because I am flying out on Thursday this week, and if I have not completed the application by then I may complete it in Candada and send it from there. My wife will be in Korea.

Thank you
1. I wouldn't wait as who knows how long this law will take to be put into place.

3. You can see the fees here. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/fees/fees.asp

4. You can apply outland from within Canada.

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
2. you can send a support letter from parents/friends ( would be most common thing that applicants (same as your situation ) would submit )

Vo would request more supporting doc when they are processing your file, so you can send more later.

if you plan to come to Canada ( you or with your wife ) after applied for PR, then you send a copy of your flight ticket (as a proof that you are in Canada ) and proof that you have been looking for a job etc.

if you are not in Canada, you can search for a job and send a proof of it too. (ex: you have submitted your resume , phone interview schedule etc..)

Good luck.

SeoulSearcher

Feb 11, 2016
So a letter from my family to say that we plan to move to Canada and a flight ticket (for myself) would be fine at the beginning?

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Yes, you can explain your plan as well so if they require more information they can request it. They will probably less likely to request docs if you show you are aware of these requirements (to relocate to Canada).

Also I'd suggest filling out the "use of representative" form if you are going to be the one dealing with her application (incase you have to make phone calls on her behalf etc.).

And don't concern yourself about what the government is promising, it's misleading. They are only talking about the conditional permanent resident status which has 0 effect on the speed of an application.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
SeoulSearcher said:

1. Applicants already become PRs as soon as they land; that's what "landing" means. The Liberals are referring to the removal of Condition 51, which requires many applicants to live with their sponsor for 2 years after becoming a PR.

2. Have friends and family write letters; get a few of them notarized. Transfer money to Canada. Get quotes for shipping your stuff. If your employers know you are leaving, have them write a letter. Start researching where you want to live by contacting realtors and looking at the job market. If you own your home in Korea, start the sale process. If you or your wife have any foreign credentials, apply now to get them assessed so they will be recognized in Canada.

3. PR fees:

Sponsorship application $75
Principal applicant fee $475
Right of Permanent Residence Fee $490

Total $1040

You also need to factor in the cost of the medical (which is several hundred dollars), any PCCs, shipping etc. I believe we paid around $1600-$1700 altogether.

4. No, there is no issue mailing an outland app from within Canada.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
SeoulSearcher said:
Do you intend to stay in Canada during the PR processing? If so then you won't need any proofs of intent to reside in Canada after PR app is approved, since you will already be in Canada. These proofs are required only when Canadian citizen sponsor is residing outside Canada, where the applicant is residing is irrelevant.

Since the app is going to CPC-Mississauga, it's probably a bit easier/cheaper to just wait until you're back in Canada later this week to mail it anyways.

Also note your wife can come to Canada as a visitor during the processing time if she wanted to.

SeoulSearcher

Feb 11, 2016
Does it make a difference if I pay the fees in Canada? I am thinking of sending it from within Canada. Would the place where we pay for influence the outland/inland status?

If I were to do it via a bank draft from Canada, what would I have to include in the application in addition to the bank draft?

If, on the other hand, I pay on-line, do I have 3 receipts, one for each item? Or is it a single one? And if it is a single one, which application does it go with, the sponsor's or the principal applicant's?

buonqua

Jun 9, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 16,2016
AOR Received.
May 4, 2016
File Transfer...
May 12, 2016
Med's Done....
February 19,2016
you can pay online and send the receipt with your application.

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. doesnt matter if you pay in Canada or outside.

2. there is a receipt from CIC (you can request it from CIC, takes a week or so), your bank stamp on the back of receipt then you can send
CIC copy.

3. pay online, then attach the receipt with another forms (you submit sponsor and applicant's forms together )

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
SeoulSearcher said:
Does it make a difference if I pay the fees in Canada? I am thinking of sending it from within Canada. Would the place where we pay for influence the outland/inland status?

If I were to do it via a bank draft from Canada, what would I have to include in the application in addition to the bank draft?

If, on the other hand, I pay on-line, do I have 3 receipts, one for each item? Or is it a single one? And if it is a single one, which application does it go with, the sponsor's or the principal applicant's?
Outland/inland status depends solely on if you used the outland or inland application package.

You should just pay online with a credit card. You'll get a single receipt which you can print off and include in the application.

Nyhiraba

Star Member
Mar 11, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sep 9, 2015
AOR Received.
Oct 23, 2015
File Transfer...
Nov 10, 2015
Med's Done....
May 2015, redone Nov 9, 2016
Interview........
Nov 8, 2016
Passport Req..
Nov 8, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 21, 2016
LANDED..........
March 14, 2017
If you pay online, you can print off as many copies of the receipt as you like.