+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Immigrants or Just Landed Immigrants in Nova Scotia (Halifax) - Nov 2017

dpnc

Aug 28, 2016
Hi Everyone.
I am an Indian (India ) and shall be moving to Halifax this year and i am really nervous as i have a 2 year old child with me.Kindly assist in knowing -

1.The places we can look to for staying purpose and what is the normal average rent.
2.How expensive is Day care.
3. Generally what is the recruitment time in banking sector.
4. How is job market for banking professionals and consultants.
5.How easily Indian groceries are available in Halifax

Many thanks for your assistance in advance.

Rohini
5. Yes, there are indian grocery stores available in and around halifx. You will get almost everything :))...i regularly visit the one in Robie street...

dpnc

Aug 28, 2016
Thank you NetMecca for the information shared.
I just had one question for you, regarding the wire transfer fees. Were you supposed to pay fees only to the origin bank (Europe) or even to the destination bank (CA)?
Thank you in advance.
I did a wire transfer from India and my bank charged upfront; when the money reached Canada, around 25CAD was deducted by the destination canadian bank.

Reactions: ArjonDJ

dpnc

Aug 28, 2016
Hi Shakhavet,

I am also Planing Immigrate to go to Halifax in Mid April. Let me know if you come across any issues while going through the process, or if there are any pointers I have to keep in check. also I am planning to travel to Halifax via Toronto, will be staying in Toronto for few days before moving onto Halifax. I am not sure if I can do that or not. But I am trying to get some answers for the same. Do let me know if you have any idea about that.

Thanks,
Dhruv Jani.
yes, you can do that...

dpnc

Aug 28, 2016
Hi Everyone.
I am an Indian (India ) and shall be moving to Halifax this year and i am really nervous as i have a 2 year old child with me.Kindly assist in knowing -

1.The places we can look to for staying purpose and what is the normal average rent.
2.How expensive is Day care.
3. Generally what is the recruitment time in banking sector.
4. How is job market for banking professionals and consultants.
5.How easily Indian groceries are available in Halifax

Many thanks for your assistance in advance.

Rohini
Do remember to carry birth certificate and the vaccination chart of the child. You may have to continue your vaccinations post landing, for which the clinics/doctor may ask for the chart. Better to buy a child PRAM from india and checkin so that you can use it immediately after landing.

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
Thank you NetMecca for the information shared.
I just had one question for you, regarding the wire transfer fees. Were you supposed to pay fees only to the origin bank (Europe) or even to the destination bank (CA)?
Thank you in advance.
Depends on your banking package. Usually only the sending bank charges. Ask your receiving bank about it. Also I they do charge, negotiate the amount and perhaps complete removal. Use it as leverage for deciding which bank you deal with in Canada. You will be surprised how far the banks will go to land a new immigrant account, especially if you are bringing a little money.

Reactions: ArjonDJ

AlieninVancouver

Apr 16, 2017
Rwanda
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Tanzania
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
21-06-2017
Passport Req..
07-09-2017
VISA ISSUED...
03-10-2017
Dear All,

I am creating this group for all of us . As we know many people have secure visa to land in Halifax Nova Scotia and many of our seniors have already reach their destination . It will be helpful to all if we share things i.e

1) Landing in Halifax Airport and What things we have to declare (Which documents we need to show them at airport ).
2) Prohibited items to carry in flight ( Food Items which we can carry ).
3) Declaration of Currency or DD (How much Canadian $ we can carry on landing ).
4) Important things to carry from India which is not available easily there .
5) Clothing which we need to bring for Winter .
6) Initial things we have to do as a new immigrants (SIN,BANK ACCOUNTS,SIM CARD,REAL ESTATES AGENT ) .
7 ) Good location for families to live (Where Indians or Asian community lives )
8) Job market (Which consultancy to approach for jobs) .

I know many things we will learn when we land there but some useful tips we can get from people who are already there .

Seniors and Friends can add many things to this list and share their views as well .

BR
Zakir
Hey Zakir,

Did you land? what has been your experience so far?

-PK

Bolt1204

Star Member
Sep 1, 2017
bolton
Category........
PNP
App. Filed.......
30 august 2017
Nomination.....
15august2017
AOR Received.
28 august 2017
Med's Request
22 august 2017
Med's Done....
27 august 2017
Ok because I am not getting flight through that sector and then my immigration will b done in Montreal or Halifax.
Mr zakir u already have my number if u have group plz add me i am again giving u 00919405625540

Bolt1204

Star Member
Sep 1, 2017
bolton
Category........
PNP
App. Filed.......
30 august 2017
Nomination.....
15august2017
AOR Received.
28 august 2017
Med's Request
22 august 2017
Med's Done....
27 august 2017
5. Yes, there are indian grocery stores available in and around halifx. You will get almost everything :))...i regularly visit the one in Robie street...
Hello there can u please share the name of the indian shop and its post code at robie street

AlieninVancouver

Apr 16, 2017
Rwanda
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Tanzania
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
21-06-2017
Passport Req..
07-09-2017
VISA ISSUED...
03-10-2017
Happy Weekend Everybody.

Does anyone know how long it takes to receive the Novascotia Medical Insurance card? I applying for my temporary insurance with Manulife and I wonder if 60days is sufficient and if the Medical card will have been received by then.

@NetMecca Any suggestions for a good airport pick up service? Are you familiar with DriverDaves and can they be relied upon if someone does an online booking prearrival?

I arrive in exactly 3 weeks and its getting down to the details now :) .

Thank you so much.

-PK

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
Happy Weekend Everybody.

Does anyone know how long it takes to receive the Novascotia Medical Insurance card? I applying for my temporary insurance with Manulife and I wonder if 60days is sufficient and if the Medical card will have been received by then.

@NetMecca Any suggestions for a good airport pick up service? Are you familiar with DriverDaves and can they be relied upon if someone does an online booking prearrival?

I arrive in exactly 3 weeks and its getting down to the details now :) .

Thank you so much.

-PK
You are entitled to your NS medical card / coverage very soon after you land in Nova Scotia - see https://novascotia.ca/DHW/msi/moving_travel.asp

I do not know any pickup services as I generally have just winged it. Flights and customs clearances are often unpredictable so getting a pick up service to really work is probably not that simple.

Plenty of decent taxis at the airport, so transport is not a problem (unless you have very special needs.) If you have a drivers license you can rent a car as well.

Good luck :)

AlieninVancouver

Apr 16, 2017
Rwanda
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Tanzania
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
21-06-2017
Passport Req..
07-09-2017
VISA ISSUED...
03-10-2017
You are entitled to your NS medical card / coverage very soon after you land in Nova Scotia - see https://novascotia.ca/DHW/msi/moving_travel.asp

I do not know any pickup services as I generally have just winged it. Flights and customs clearances are often unpredictable so getting a pick up service to really work is probably not that simple.

Plenty of decent taxis at the airport, so transport is not a problem (unless you have very special needs.) If you have a drivers license you can rent a car as well.

Good luck :)
Thanks,

I appreciate it.

-PK

AlieninVancouver

Apr 16, 2017
Rwanda
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Tanzania
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
21-06-2017
Passport Req..
07-09-2017
VISA ISSUED...
03-10-2017
To people already in Halifax, any suggestions for the best mobile and internet service provider . I would also like to know where one might purchase a bus/transit card.

I arrive in a few days, thank you all so much for your support.

-PK

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009

AlieninVancouver

Apr 16, 2017
Rwanda
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Tanzania
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
21-06-2017
Passport Req..
07-09-2017
VISA ISSUED...
03-10-2017
I'm with Bell. Not the cheapest but I found them to be the most reliable. Other options are Eastlink (local), Telus, Rogers, Kudoo maybe one or two others.

Everything you need to know about bus passes
https://www.halifax.ca/transportation/halifax-transit/fares-tickets-passes
and where to buy tickets
https://www.halifax.ca/transportation/halifax-transit/fares-tickets-passes/retail-ticket-sales#stanfieldinternationalairport

Good luck
Thank you so much @NetMecca.

This is super helpful and I hoping for a smooth transition. Just one day more for me.