+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New immigrant - RRSP/TFSA query

jparasu

Oct 2, 2016
Hello everyone,

I became a PR in 2019, did a soft landing and have returned permanently in Feb 2022.

1.) I understand that I won't be able to contribute to RRSP this year, as I have never filed tax returns before in Canada. Will it be possible to file for my previous year showing my foreign income and show the proof that I have paid my taxes there? Would this help with me contributing to RRSP?

2.) My child is going for child care now, can I apply for child care benefits by doing the tax filing I mentioned above?

Hope someone who had a similar journey can help to advice on the best way forward.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone,

I became a PR in 2019, did a soft landing and have returned permanently in Feb 2022.

1.) I understand that I won't be able to contribute to RRSP this year, as I have never filed tax returns before in Canada. Will it be possible to file for my previous year showing my foreign income and show the proof that I have paid my taxes there? Would this help with me contributing to RRSP?

2.) My child is going for child care now, can I apply for child care benefits by doing the tax filing I mentioned above?

Hope someone who had a similar journey can help to advice on the best way forward.
1. No your foreign income will not let you qualify for contribution room.

2. Child care benefits are only available in certain provinces. If you only moved to Canada in February 2022 you’d weren’t a tax resident so don’t need to file taxes in Canada unless you had ties to Canada like bank accounts or property in Canada that you had between 2019-22 or you spouse/dependent children remained in Canada after your soft landing.