+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Form CIT 0002(01-2019)

AC1974

Mar 8, 2010
Hello,

I sent our family applications yesterday, February 1st.2019 and I downloaded early January 2019 the forms. This morning I noticed that there is a new form CIT 0002( 01-2019) for January 2019 when the versions I sent are (06-2018).
From what I can read from CIC, it should be Ok. What are your thoughts about this? I will appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance.

Here is what the website says:

Make sure you use a version of the application form dated October 2017 or later. You can find the version date on the bottom left corner of the form. For example, “CIT 0002 (01-2019)” means the version date is January 2019. The date you sign or mail your form does not change the version date.

If you submit your application on a form with a version date older than October 2017, we’ll return it to you and ask you to resubmit your application using the newest version of the form.

If you used a version of the form dated October 2017 or later and we returned it to you as incomplete, you don’t need to use the newest version of the form to resubmit your application. You can resubmit it using the same form once you get the missing information or documents.

Zmaqsood

Champion Member
Sep 10, 2014
Milton. ON
Hello,

I sent our family applications yesterday, February 1st.2019 and I downloaded early January 2019 the forms. This morning I noticed that there is a new form CIT 0002( 01-2019) for January 2019 when the versions I sent are (06-2018).
From what I can read from CIC, it should be Ok. What are your thoughts about this? I will appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance.

Make sure you use a version of the application form dated October 2017 or later. You can find the version date on the bottom left corner of the form. For example, “CIT 0002 (01-2019)” means the version date is January 2019. The date you sign or mail your form does not change the version date.

If you submit your application on a form with a version date older than October 2017, we’ll return it to you and ask you to resubmit your application using the newest version of the form.

If you used a version of the form dated October 2017 or later and we returned it to you as incomplete, you don’t need to use the newest version of the form to resubmit your application. You can resubmit it using the same form once you get the missing information or documents.
That will be ok dont worry

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hello,

Thanks in advance.

There should be NO issues related to the fact that IRCC has implemented a revised form, including a change to item 9.c. which many participants in this forum noted as needing revision back in October and November 2017.

Thank you for bringing the change in forms to the attention of the forum.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Addressing some of the changes:

Item 9.c. regarding living abroad during the eligibility period:

A big change I already mentioned, long problematic item 9.c. At last IRCC has revised this item to clearly ask about living outside Canada during the eligibility period "as a crown servant or with your spouse or common law partner or parent who was a crown servant."

There are numerous topics in this forum specifically asking about how to respond to the former version of 9.c. precisely because it was confusing . . . IRCC was looking for responses to the item as it is currently asked in CIT 0002 (01-2019) but in previous versions of the application it asked if the applicant lived outside Canada during the eligibility period, which many applicants did but NOT as crown servants. Good change long overdue.

Item 10.b. regarding police certificate requirements:

This too is a big change. It includes a couple big changes.

The first is that the NEW instructions specifically state that "If you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada and this time falls within this four (4) year period, you are NOT required to provide a police certificate. Please indicate this in the explanation box."

This is good news for scores of applicants who could not understand why they would need to provide a police certificate when they essentially had full background checks prior to coming to and landing in Canada. Caveat is that the language here is still fuzzy. Easy enough to figure out but any imprecision is bound to cause some confusion for at least some percentage of applicants.

The second change for this item is that it clearly instructs what constitutes a timely issued police certificate: either one issued SINCE the last time the applicant was in that country, or no more than six months before the application date. Conventional wisdom and many forum participants had expressed the view that certificates meeting these criteria would suffice, but now there is an explicit instruction stating this. Good to know.

Item 16 regarding PROHIBITIONS:

This item is revised largely to make responses more specific relative to the numerous sub-items, such that in the new form applicants are required to check yes or no to each individual sub-item. This makes sense. It is not a substantive change.

One change in this item revives something that was included in much older forms. It specifically requires the applicant to check item 16.a. which states: I have read and understand the prohibitions under the Citizenship Act.

How many applicants know which provisions of the Citizenship Act state the prohibitions? Let alone have actually read them? And how can reading the actual statutory provisions and understanding them (something which lawyers can struggle with) be required of applicants? Obviously that is NOT what IRCC is in fact demanding, but it is always disconcerting to see such imprecision in the language IRCC uses.

There are probably other changes, but these are the big ones . . . and in particular the changes to Items 9.c. and 10.b. are changes many expected IRCC to make long before now.

AGAIN, THANK YOU for alerting us that a new form is now available.

cursor18

May 31, 2015
There should be NO issues related to the fact that IRCC has implemented a revised form, including a change to item 9.c. which many participants in this forum noted as needing revision back in October and November 2017.

Thank you for bringing the change in forms to the attention of the forum.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Item 10.b. regarding police certificate requirements:

This too is a big change. It includes a couple big changes.

The first is that the NEW instructions specifically state that "If you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada and this time falls within this four (4) year period, you are NOT required to provide a police certificate. Please indicate this in the explanation box."

This is good news for scores of applicants who could not understand why they would need to provide a police certificate when they essentially had full background checks prior to coming to and landing in Canada. Caveat is that the language here is still fuzzy. Easy enough to figure out but any imprecision is bound to cause some confusion for at least some percentage of applicants.

The second change for this item is that it clearly instructs what constitutes a timely issued police certificate: either one issued SINCE the last time the applicant was in that country, or no more than six months before the application date. Conventional wisdom and many forum participants had expressed the view that certificates meeting these criteria would suffice, but now there is an explicit instruction stating this. Good to know.

AGAIN, THANK YOU for alerting us that a new form is now available.
Thanks for the explanation @dpenabill, but like you said about the changes to 10.b, the wording is still wee fuzzy.
See below example 1 from the CIC website:

You lived in France for one year (365 days) before you became a permanent resident 3 years ago. You did not travel to France after you became a permanent resident. You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from France if you did not provide one with your immigration application. If you provided a police certificate from France with your immigration application, tell us this in the box provided at Question 10b.

Doesn't it say you would need to apply for a police certificate as you spent 183 days in a row or more in your home country before moving to Canada. For someone who moved here to Canada 3 yrs ago (like the example) and applying for Czship now, does it not mean a Police Certificate is required?
The wording here in the above example "with your immigration application" - is this is citizenship application or the PR application

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011
Thanks for the explanation @dpenabill, but like you said about the changes to 10.b, the wording is still wee fuzzy.

You lived in France for one year (365 days) before you became a permanent resident 3 years ago. You did not travel to France after you became a permanent resident. You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from France if you did not provide one with your immigration application. If you provided a police certificate from France with your immigration application, tell us this in the box provided at Question 10b.

Doesn't it say you would need to apply for a police certificate as you spent 183 days in a row or more in your home country before moving to Canada. For someone who moved here to Canada 3 yrs ago (like the example) and applying for Czship now, does it not mean a Police Certificate is required?
The wording here in the above example "with your immigration application" - is this is citizenship application or the PR application
Immigration application means permanent resident application.

Reactions: cursor18

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
NOTE: the change to item 10.b. was much bigger than I initially commented about.

There is a THIRD change, in addition to the TWO I commented about above, and it is actually the biggest change.

The previous version required police certificates from applicants if the TOTAL number of days spent in a country during the relevant four years added up to 183 or more days.

The current version requires a police certificate only if the applicant was "in a country other than Canada for 183 days in a row."

That is, for at least 183 consecutive days. Big difference.

Otherwise, the language in this is still a bit fuzzy. And this is particularly so given example one versus the "note" (which I quoted in my previous post above), since actually these two are NOT consistent. The example saying a police certificate is required UNLESS a previous police certificate was submitted, in that circumstance, but the NOTE saying otherwise, in a sense, in a rather incoherent sense . . . the details of which I will leave to unravel later.

But this part is not fuzzy:

As @KRP observed, the immigration application is the application for a PR visa. To be clear, a citizenship application is NOT an immigration application at all. Only landed immigrants are eligible to make a grant citizenship application.

Reactions: cursor18

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Further forum commentary about the new application forum:

My apologies if this is already buried somewhere in the citizenship threads with 1,000 plus posts. I just noticed that CIT 002 has finally been updated to clarify question #9 (c). It now reads:

During your five year eligibility period, did you live outside of Canada as a crown servant or with your spouse or common-law partner or parent who was a crown servant? Find out who is a crown servant and the specific situations that apply in the help text or instruction guide.

This sure beats the the ambiguous wording which has been on the form since Oct 2017, and eliminates the need to even look at CIT 0177 if it does not apply (which it doesn't, in the vast majority of cases).
Yes, as noted above, this is a change many of us expected IRCC to make at least a year ago, and at least I was rather surprised when last June a revised form was issued which did not fix item 9.c. So yes, indeed, long overdue, but finally.

Reactions: Yelsew

chella99

Star Member
Mar 22, 2007
Can someone help pls ?

I have been trying very hard since last few days to download in pdf the form CIT 0002( 01-2019), but am not able to. The message comes on the pdf file that the acrobat version should be 10 or higher. Actually, I have the version DC which I understand is the latest. But still this form does not get downloaded.

How and from which site to get this correct latest form ?

Thanks

Chellamani

AC1974

Mar 8, 2010
Can someone help pls ?

I have been trying very hard since last few days to download in pdf the form CIT 0002( 01-2019), but am not able to. The message comes on the pdf file that the acrobat version should be 10 or higher. Actually, I have the version DC which I understand is the latest. But still this form does not get downloaded.

How and from which site to get this correct latest form ?

Thanks

Chellamani
Hi,

When you get the loading page there's a bottom for downloading the file in your computer and the open Adobe and open the file from the downloads' folder.
It should work.

Hope it helps!!!