+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New citizenship certificate - first name change?

Apr 27, 2022
Hi everyone,

I'm a Canadian citizen applying for a certificate replacement due to a change in my first name.

I am submitting my legal change of name certificate.

On the citizenship photos, I wrote my old name on the back because the 2 pieces of ID that I am submitting are my driver's licence and health card with my old name. Is this okay?

Should I be waiting for my new driver's licence and health card and submitting copies of those instead?

Should I go get new pictures and write my new name on the back?

Thank you

yycgirl27

Aug 17, 2018
I requested replacement certificate but I have attached IDs with updated name on them.

Hi everyone,

I'm a Canadian citizen applying for a certificate replacement due to a change in my first name.

I am submitting my legal change of name certificate.

On the citizenship photos, I wrote my old name on the back because the 2 pieces of ID that I am submitting are my driver's licence and health card with my old name. Is this okay?

Should I be waiting for my new driver's licence and health card and submitting copies of those instead?

Thank you

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

I would get those updated before submitting. And frankly pictures too, just in case.

Important note: don't know what you need the certificate updated for, but you CAN (and I would say should) get a passport with the changed name on the basis of the legal name change document. (Whereas honestly you are not likely to have to show the updated certificate to anyone, ever - everyone will prefer the passport as ID because photograph).

Why risk snding in your request with outdated stuff when getting an updated one might take many months? YOu might wait and wait and wait before finding out done wrong.

yycgirl27

Aug 17, 2018
I didn’t know this. I thought you need a certificate to apply for passport. But it’s my first time applying for Canadian passport. I became Canadian citizen recently.

I would get those updated before submitting. And frankly pictures too, just in case.

Important note: don't know what you need the certificate updated for, but you CAN (and I would say should) get a passport with the changed name on the basis of the legal name change document. (Whereas honestly you are not likely to have to show the updated certificate to anyone, ever - everyone will prefer the passport as ID because photograph).

Why risk snding in your request with outdated stuff when getting an updated one might take many months? YOu might wait and wait and wait before finding out done wrong.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I didn’t know this. I thought you need a certificate to apply for passport. But it’s my first time applying for Canadian passport. I became Canadian citizen recently.
Congratulations.

Yes, and much faster than the certificate of citizenship.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/change-name.html#adults

Up to you whether you need to change the certificate at all, really. No-one's going to ask for it except fo the passport office.

Note, instructions above are how to change name for someone who already has a passport, but for someone applying for first time, I don't believe the requirements will be any stricter to document the name change.

Given delays with passports right now, and the change of name, I'd suggest you do it in person at passport office or service canada to make sure everything is okay. (That will liekly mean waiting in lines...)

yycgirl27

Aug 17, 2018
Thanks!

do we need original certificate because I have already applied for the replacement certificate meaning sent original in the application.

thank you so much for the help!! I didn’t know this thing.

Congratulations.

Yes, and much faster than the certificate of citizenship.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/change-name.html#adults

Up to you whether you need to change the certificate at all, really. No-one's going to ask for it except fo the passport office.

Note, instructions above are how to change name for someone who already has a passport, but for someone applying for first time, I don't believe the requirements will be any stricter to document the name change.

Given delays with passports right now, and the change of name, I'd suggest you do it in person at passport office or service canada to make sure everything is okay. (That will liekly mean waiting in lines...)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
do we need original certificate because I have already applied for the replacement certificate meaning sent original in the application.
The passport office website says you need the original for proof of citizenship. So yeah, sending it for that without checking first was a bad idea. I assume you did not get a passport first?

I do not know if there is any way around this. I should hope there is. I'd suggest calling citizenship canada and seeing if there is a way to get your original citizenship certificate sent back or, perhaps, they have some other suggestion.

You could also ask your MP's office to help. (Eg to see if they can get help to send it back)

Again, my gut belief - but only a guess - is that your best bet is to get the citizenship certificate (original) sent back to you. Perhaps by withdrawing the request, but I don't know if there's a way to do that.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
They said updated certificate is required. So I involved local MP to expedite the certificate. Also, I got my file number after 3 months. It’s still in process.
To be clear: they did not accept your passport application because you did not provide 'the original' of the citizenship certificate, as required? That is, you applied with a COPY of citizenship certificate?

My point is: the issue is that you should have applied for the passport first (using citizenship certificate plus change of name documents) rather than apply first to update/change name of the citizenship certificate (because that takes ages).

Reactions: may2019

yycgirl27

Aug 17, 2018
They said updated certificate is required. So I involved local MP to expedite the certificate. Also, I got my file number after 3 months. It’s still in process.
I would rather wait for the updated certificate than to get the passport under old name and go through everything again. There’s no guarantee you will receive your passport under new name. They go by citizenship certificate name. I went to the passport office and this is what I got. No one is sure lol they literally aren’t sure about their own process.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I would rather wait for the updated certificate than to get the passport under old name and go through everything again. There’s no guarantee you will receive your passport under new name. They go by citizenship certificate name. I went to the passport office and this is what I got. No one is sure lol they literally aren’t sure about their own process.
Did you go with the legal change of name documentation (eg court order)?

The passport documentation is clear: you bring your change of name documentation - eg "a legal name change, a court order or an adoption order."

And complete the forms, of course, using your name, as that is your legal name now.

yycgirl27

Aug 17, 2018
Did you go with the legal change of name documentation (eg court order)?

The passport documentation is clear: you bring your change of name documentation - eg "a legal name change, a court order or an adoption order."

And complete the forms, of course, using your name, as that is your legal name now.
I know that. I read the application requirements. CIC call centre is useless. I got my file number and I’m not planning to travel anytime soon so it’s ok for me. But they said I can apply for temporary white passport for emergency.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I know that. I read the application requirements. CIC call centre is useless. I got my file number and I’m not planning to travel anytime soon so it’s ok for me. But they said I can apply for temporary white passport for emergency.
Thanks - I was just clarifying in case someone got the impression that the issue was applying without the 'updated' (new name) citizenship certificate - as opposed to applying with original (physical) cit cert with old name + change of name docs.

Yes, IRCC will not accept a copy, but they will accept original cit cert with old name + legal change of name docs.

limhockkiong

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
In short, if getting a passport under the new name is urgent, best to use the certificate with the old name (i.e. don't go apply for a new certificate that has the new name), and get the legal name change docs to have the passport issued with the new name.

Once passport is issued, apply for a new citizenship certificate that has the new name on it (if one so desires to have a certificate that reflects the new name).

Would you agree, @yycgirl27 @armoured ? And from your timeline @yycgirl27 , how long has it been since you applied for a new certificate and is still waiting?

Reactions: may2019