Waived
Passport Req..
April 23, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 26, 2013 (rec'd May 2, 2013)
LANDED..........
May 4, 2013
marcus66502 said:
Military draft won't be popular. The mere fact that other countries have it doesn't make it the best policy. What you'll get is people moving overseas to avoid it, much like they left the US and went to Canada in the late 1960s.

Also, I wanted to clarify this huge misconception that a Canadian passport is a backdoor to the US. It's absolutely not true. The only advantage you'd have as a Canadian citizen is the ability to make use of 1-year temporary work permits under the NAFTA agreement. These permits can be renewed but this is still officially a temporary status. As far as permanent residence, there is no special provision in US immigration law for Canadians. They must legally qualify for it in the same manner as any other nationality.

That means as a Canadian you are no closer to permanent residence in the US than someone from Timbuktu. In fact, one could say as a Canadian you have fewer options to immigrate to the US than other nationalities. You can't make an asylum claim because no one would believe your claim, and you sure as hell can't enter the Diversity Visa lottery because Canada regularly makes the list of countries that don't qualify for it.
Not a draft, mandatory military service for a year or two whether there is an active war or not (e.g., Sweden, Korea, Israel, etc.). If you left to avoid it, you'd have to leave forever.... You'd get caught at the airport the next time you entered the country. (This happens in Korea. Guys who leave the country as children, naturalize elsewhere, but don't do the paperwork to formally revoke Korean citizenship get caught when they visit as adults.) Absolutely won't be popular, but we're just fantasizing, right? Or was your testing scheme a real suggestion...?

TN visa is a huge opportunity, if you're on the list of acceptable professions. (I know of people who've renewed 8+ times.) Also, the visa-exempt advantages of a Canadian passport is not a small benefit for visiting and looking for job opportunities. That said, there is a difference between the statement that "a Canadian passport is a backdoor to the US" and the fact that there are people who THINK that when they immigrate to Canada. A cursory perusal of this message board will show that such folks are far from uncommon.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
rayman_m said:
I just checked parliament website and could not find anything on 2nd reading process.. Where did you find the 2nd reading date is Feb 27? Other forum also having intense discussion and comments on this bill. On fast track process, this bill may likely be a law early Fall but given the nature of legislative process the bill could be adopted before Dec 2014..

http://www.parl.gc.ca/LEGISInfo/BillDetails.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&billId=6401990

I will be applying in June 20, 2014 and anxiously following this bill...
If you go back to a news report video by CTVNews from the week the Bill was proposed I distinctly recall this reporter ending his report by saying ..Government expects this Bill to be effective sometime end of the year...(something on those lines)

Intel

Star Member
Jun 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
2005-09
Med's Request
2009-08
Med's Done....
2009-10
Passport Req..
2010-05
VISA ISSUED...
2010-06
LANDED..........
2010-07
rayman_m said:
I just checked parliament website and could not find anything on 2nd reading process.. Where did you find the 2nd reading date is Feb 27? Other forum also having intense discussion and comments on this bill. On fast track process, this bill may likely be a law early Fall but given the nature of legislative process the bill could be adopted before Dec 2014..

http://www.parl.gc.ca/LEGISInfo/BillDetails.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&billId=6401990

I will be applying in June 20, 2014 and anxiously following this bill...
http://openparliament.ca/bills/41-2/C-24/

[quote author=Peter Van Loan (Leader of the Government in the House of Commons)]On Thursday, February 27, we will be sitting with a Wednesday schedule because at 11:00 a.m. that morning His Highness the Aga Khan will give an address to both Houses of Parliament, an event that I am sure all hon. members will eagerly anticipate.

That afternoon, we will start second reading debate on Bill C-24, the strengthening Canadian Citizenship Act. This bill represents the first comprehensive overhaul of Canada's citizenship laws in a generation.

That day will also be the day designated, pursuant to Standing Order 66(2), for concluding the debate on concurrence on the third report of the Standing Committee on Procedure and House Affairs.
[/quote]

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Intel said:
http://openparliament.ca/bills/41-2/C-24/
where did you find Peter's message? if that is the case, this bill is going very swiftly...

dandash

Star Member
Jan 28, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm not being able to post the link ... dont know why ... Go to openparliament.ca

"Peter Van Loan Leader of the Government in the House of Commons"

On Thursday, February 27, we will be sitting with a Wednesday schedule because at 11:00 a.m. that morning His Highness the Aga Khan will give an address to both Houses of Parliament, an event that I am sure all hon. members will eagerly anticipate.

That afternoon, we will start second reading debate on Bill C-24, the strengthening Canadian Citizenship Act. This bill represents the first comprehensive overhaul of Canada's citizenship laws in a generation.

That day will also be the day designated, pursuant to Standing Order 66(2), for concluding the debate on concurrence on the third report of the Standing Committee on Procedure and House Affairs.

applicationerror

Aug 25, 2011
was not able to find anything about second reading..,

http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Pub=NoticeOrder&Mode=1&Language=E&Parl=41&Ses=2&DocId=6428037&File=0
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 27, 2014
House adjourned for an Address by His Highness the Aga Khan at 11:00 a.m.
2:00 p.m. — House meets
Private Members' Business
M-485 — Mr. Dionne Labelle (Rivière-du-Nord) — Tax evasion (first time debated)
Concurrence in Committee Reports
No. 1 — Mr. Julian (Burnaby—New Westminster) — Motion to concur in the Third Report of the Standing Committee on Procedure and House Affairs (resuming debate)

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 28, 2014
Affaires émanant des députés
C-208 — Mr. Godin (Acadie—Bathurst) — An Act to amend the Supreme Court Act (understanding the official languages) — Second reading (first time debated)

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
applicationerror said:
was not able to find anything about second reading..,

http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Pub=NoticeOrder&Mode=1&Language=E&Parl=41&Ses=2&DocId=6428037&File=0
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 27, 2014
House adjourned for an Address by His Highness the Aga Khan at 11:00 a.m.
2:00 p.m. — House meets
M-485 — Mr. Dionne Labelle (Rivière-du-Nord) — Tax evasion (first time debated)
Concurrence in Committee Reports
No. 1 — Mr. Julian (Burnaby—New Westminster) — Motion to concur in the Third Report of the Standing Committee on Procedure and House Affairs (resuming debate)

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 28, 2014
Affaires émanant des députés
C-208 — Mr. Godin (Acadie—Bathurst) — An Act to amend the Supreme Court Act (understanding the official languages) — Second reading (first time debated)
i did find dandash's info source and actually found your info as well. i thought the same. the parliament page is more accurate, i would assume... i dont know.. but both info you folks provided are quoteable... l guess we can wait and see what happens on thursday!

gosia

Apr 26, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-08-2010
Doc's Request.
26-05-2011
File Transfer...
15-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Decision made April 15, 2013
LANDED..........
20-06-2013
2nd reading next week on the 27th

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
This is my own personal opinion

It seems with the 2nd reading on the 27th, the bill is on track to become law by the end of the year.

It will be at least a month before the 3d reading--so end of March/early April 2014. If it passes here then it goes to the Senate to repeat the same process again. I just don't see how the bill can pass the Senate before the summer recess.

So then it passes sometime in the fall and goes for Royal Assent. It usually takes 3 weeks after Royal Assent for it to be published in the Gazette and become effective. So we are looking at early November 2014 at the earliest.

This all holds true if Harper allows Parliament to sit and not prorogue it (as he is fond of doing). FYI: If Parliament is prorogued anytime before the bill is passed by BOTH houses, the bill dies and needs to be reintroduced. So, back to square 1

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
True txboyscout and quite possible.

And with any dark clouds looming over the Cons including with scandals, controversies, snubbed Keystone pipeline and The Libs who are picking up steam and keeping score, never know what self-protective "rogue-ing and prorogue-ing" ;) The PM will pull -- besides of course pulling the wool over our collective eyes !

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
txboyscout said:
This is my own personal opinion

It seems with the 2nd reading on the 27th, the bill is on track to become law by the end of the year.

It will be at least a month before the 3d reading--so end of March/early April 2014. If it passes here then it goes to the Senate to repeat the same process again. I just don't see how the bill can pass the Senate before the summer recess.

So then it passes sometime in the fall and goes for Royal Assent. It usually takes 3 weeks after Royal Assent for it to be published in the Gazette and become effective. So we are looking at early November 2014 at the earliest.

This all holds true if Harper allows Parliament to sit and not prorogue it (as he is fond of doing). FYI: If Parliament is prorogued anytime before the bill is passed by BOTH houses, the bill dies and needs to be reintroduced. So, back to square 1
May I ask why you don't see the bill passing the Senate before the summer recess? I have to ask because if it only takes two months for it to pass the House, why wouldn't three months be enough time for it to pass the Senate? It is the same steps, and this is a Conservatives' bill and they do have the majority, which means control over the agenda.

I think there's a very good chance the bill will pass before the summer recess, even if just before the start of the recess. I'm just not sure how long it takes for Royal assent at that point. Does it have to wait the entire summer or is the Governor-in-Council summer schedule different from the Parliament's?

In any case, I'm hoping that the Governor-in-Council gives the bill a full year to take effect, as was the case with the last bill C-37.

MasterGeek

Jul 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2012
AOR Received.
24-05-2012
Med's Request
24-05-2012
Med's Done....
30-05-2012
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
LANDED..........
August 2013
Why does CIC keep promoting that PRs who serve in the Canadian Armed Forces can have their residency requirements reduced by one year under the new bill ??

I thought permanent residents cannot join the military, or only under rare exceptional circumstances.

This sounds and looks like smoke and mirrors

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Maybe His Highness the Aga Khan can din some sense into them next week since he has an 11 am speaking slot to address Parliament !
::)

gowest

Sep 29, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have no doubt ... if they want to make it as a law and fast , they will do so. I give you an example. During Canada Post lockout in summer 2011, I clearly remember that they were debating days and nights, non-stop to finish it fast.