+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Citizenship Bill Thursday Feb 6th

HLR

Champion Member
May 28, 2013
****Please sign these petitions****

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/canada-parliament-do-not-allow-discrimination-of-former-foreign-workers-and-students-by-new-canadian-citizenship-bill-c-24

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/chris-alexandre-make-time-spent-in-canada-for-international-students-before-becoming-a-permanent-resident-count-towards-canadian-citizenship

Silver77

Star Member
Dec 31, 2012
I dont complete understand meaning 'proof that income taxes were filed during that period'.

You have to pay certain amount of tax? What happens if you are studying or injured that not working or unemployed.

ramsfe

Nov 15, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Whether you earn zero or a million dollars a year, you have to declare your revenues, It is a legal obligation. Chances are that someone who doesn't live in Canada will declare all his revenues for the x years at the last moment before applying, and this will show in his tax report...

It is scary to see the number of people who think that you only declare revenues when you work or when you earn money ! Either people don't understand the system or the government is not communicating correctly, however, it is clearly written in the guide they give to immigrants just after landing in Canada!

I am personally very much opposed to the bill, but some responsibilities have nothing to do with the bill and are part of being part of an organized society, these include tax declarations, recycling, community services...

vic48912

Star Member
Nov 30, 2007
http://read.thestar.com/?origref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.huffingtonpost.ca%2F#!/article/52f76348ec06919585000129-how-to-read-ottawa-s-latest-immigration-changes-siddiqui

flusty

Nov 6, 2010
ramsfe said:
Whether you earn zero or a million dollars a year, you have to declare your revenues, It is a legal obligation. Chances are that someone who doesn't live in Canada will declare all his revenues for the x years at the last moment before applying, and this will show in his tax report...

It is scary to see the number of people who think that you only declare revenues when you work or when you earn money ! Either people don't understand the system or the government is not communicating correctly, however, it is clearly written in the guide they give to immigrants just after landing in Canada!

I am personally very much opposed to the bill, but some responsibilities have nothing to do with the bill and are part of being part of an organized society, these include tax declarations, recycling, community services...

Ditto! 8)

Silver77

Star Member
Dec 31, 2012
Thank you Ramsfe for the information... I also know that you have to fill tax return if you are only working and making money.

I think new immigrants are missing a lot of information that they have to do after landing Canada. Government doesn't have enough effort to support to all these new comers and some people( living Canada few years) are also hiding some informations that they don't want to share with new immigrants.

informatics

Aug 3, 2009
Silver77 said:
Thank you Ramsfe for the information... I also know that you have to fill tax return if you are only working and making money.

I think new immigrants are missing a lot of information that they have to do after landing Canada. Government doesn't have enough effort to support to all these new comers and some people( living Canada few years) are also hiding some informations that they don't want to share with new immigrants.
Well I have always been a homemaker/student since I landed in Canada ,have zero income to show ,however I have been filing income taxes since 2011.

Hope it helps!

Silver77

Star Member
Dec 31, 2012
Yes it was helpfull... I have been in Canada since 2010 January. I know two languages english and french.

I had a hard time to find a job and work in this country. I moved Montreal 1 year ago and made my citizenship application on sep 2013.

I had been forced to go back my home country couple times...I came to this country not to become a citizenship but I want to
settle here and go for long term. I still like Canada and happy to be here.

I wish government has a protection for the immigrants.

MR Stephen Harper

Jan 12, 2014
sashali78 said:
I am afraid the vote would not be enough to revert the Bill.
Please help to spread and sign petition:
https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/canada-parliament-do-not-allow-discrimination-of-former-foreign-workers-and-students-by-new-canadian-citizenship-bill-c-24
Sir/madam....this petition is not doing yourself nor any body any justice frankly for a few reasons and here are some:1. Your petition will not draw enough support for it to have an impact on this citizenship bill given an overwhelming majority of Canadians support this bill and tougher immigration legislation as a result.2.Only those on this forum and others will support this petition and not many pple outside these immigration forums so the success of this petition is questionable from day one.3.This is still a bill,and still has to go through the house of commons,committe stage and senate so there is still plenty of time and ammendments will be made,so i wouldnt be panicing! 3.The best way to spend your time and this applies to those that are supporting this petition and would be applying when it is likely the new rules would be in effect,is to gather all paperwork that would be required then.Rather get ready for the new requirements,speak to reputable immigration lawyers and get the right info . For now,all you can do is wait until it passes of which it will.Im not trying to dampen your efforts but the law is the law sometimes and one needs to acknowledge whats inevitable!

MrB

Star Member
Aug 24, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MR Stephen Harper said:
Sir/madam....this petition is not doing yourself nor any body any justice frankly for a few reasons and here are some:1. Your petition will not draw enough support for it to have an impact on this citizenship bill given an overwhelming majority of Canadians support this bill and tougher immigration legislation as a result.2.Only those on this forum and others will support this petition and not many pple outside these immigration forums so the success of this petition is questionable from day one.3.This is still a bill,and still has to go through the house of commons,committe stage and senate so there is still plenty of time and ammendments will be made,so i wouldnt be panicing! 3.The best way to spend your time and this applies to those that are supporting this petition and would be applying when it is likely the new rules would be in effect,is to gather all paperwork that would be required then.Rather get ready for the new requirements,speak to reputable immigration lawyers and get the right info . For now,all you can do is wait until it passes of which it will.Im not trying to dampen your efforts but the law is the law sometimes and one needs to acknowledge whats inevitable!
Mr Harper I have to say that I am not surprised about the skepticisms you have considering your name...lol (jokes). On a more serious note, like many people have mentioned, majority of the bill has elements of positive reforms. However like any other thing in life, no bill is tabled perfectly. The petition for the most part brings awareness to potential shortcomings/grey areas of the bill and I am certain that any well meaning Canadian (regardless of political affiliation) would be in support of slight amendments that would consider time spent in Canada before becoming a PR.

This is not based on pure sentiment, or "our" own definition of what we feel is fair or just. We simply holding the minister to what he said..."That means making sure that people who are becoming citizens have really lived here, and have lived here for enough time to really understand what citizenship is about, what the country is about." It is common sense that time spent in Canada before becoming PR, count based on the minister's logic. It is worth having that discussion, an exemption to that specific law can be created. We have to remember that the Canadian Experience Class was created for a reason I suggest you refer to my story, you can find it in my most recent post. Cheers!

PS: If you are the real Mr Harper, have some compassion and do the right thing. :D

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
WAIVED !!!!!/ Casual interview with visa officer on 5/3/2012
Passport Req..
21/2/2012, submitted on 27/2/2012
VISA ISSUED...
1/3/2012, valid till 20/12/2012, collected on 5/3/2012
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
Hard to digest that how come CIC pitch immigrants who just came to Canada and Immigrants that are living in Canada for some time on a same level for Citizenship. It will seem very disappointing if all these years are considered pointless towards citizenship and if they are treated in exactly the same way compared to somebody who lands in Canada right away without any previous Canadian experience.

GIAWM

Star Member
Nov 12, 2009
I don't understand what is wrong with the new bill. If we have to wait for four years and if the process is reduced to less than a year, then what is the difference? It takes around 5 years altogether anyways...
I am all in for this bill as I believe this will crackdown on the citizenship fraud to some extend - so that we feel the taxes we pay is used in a fruitful way rather that being availed by someone who don't deserve it.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
GIAWM said:
I don't understand what is wrong with the new bill. If we have to wait for four years and if the process is reduced to less than a year, then what is the difference? It takes around 5 years altogether anyways...
If indeed it cuts down all the RQs and processing time, then I'm all for it.... IF it does...

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't anything is wrong with the time required to stay in Canada before applying for the citizenship.
My main concern is that every applicant will have to sign a letter of intent that he or she will remain in Canada. I don't want this to be made a law. It violates our freedom as Canadians. It doesn't make sense that naturalized Canadians are discriminated against Canadian born.
It doesn't make sense.

GIAWM said:
I am all in for this bill as I believe this will crackdown on the citizenship fraud to some extend - so that we feel the taxes we pay is used in a fruitful way rather that being availed by someone who don't deserve it.