+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NEW CHANGES TO SOWP- 2024

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
In case im not able to take my spouse on sowp, can i apply for visitor visa while both of us are still outside canada??
Spouse can apply for visitor visa with funds, travel history, ties to return (job letter with approved leave, business, income properties etc.) CBSA will decide how long she can stay up to 6 months upon entry.

Lebaron03

Jan 19, 2024
Hi everyone,
I have some concerns, my 2nd course starts in Sep 2024 (current permits SP and SOWP- expire in July). So i believe naturally we will be applying for extensions of the current permits rather than new permits.

In that case I have 2 questions, considering the recent IRCC announcements:

1- Since we are SP and SOWP cases, if I opt for a course in May 2024 instead of Sep and then apply for SPE and SOWP ext right now then would it still impact my SOWP ext?

2- I have heard from some visa agents that if I'm opting for Sep 2024 course then I can only apply for SPE and SOWP ext within 150 days of the commencement of the course. Is this true? Considering the recent updates, I would like to apply for new extension asap but dont want rejection because i applied before 150 days frame.
The minister has made it clear in this statement that these measures don't affect current study permit holders... So you should be fine.

zamsel

Jan 5, 2024
Spouse can apply for visitor visa with funds, travel history, ties to return (job letter with approved leave, business, income properties etc.) CBSA will decide how long she can stay up to 6 months upon entry.
Thank you. But should we apply together study permit+visitor visa or is it mandatory for my spouse apply for visitor visa after I enter canada?

assa55

Jan 31, 2024
helle ,i need ask ,i lost my agents ,how can i gate my credentials
if i have only IRCC and UCI ?

assa55

Jan 31, 2024
hello ,i need ask ,i lost my agent ,how can i gate my credentials
if i have only IRCC and UCI ?or how i can know the status of my account ?

dkid019

Jan 30, 2024
We already got the pre-arrival program email from centennial college, but my wife is hesitant to join because our VISA statuses hasn't been released yet. There's still no news also regarding the OWP visa's. What do you think guys?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
We already got the pre-arrival program email from centennial college, but my wife is hesitant to join because our VISA statuses hasn't been released yet. There's still no news also regarding the OWP visa's. What do you think guys?
If she has been approved for SOWP then no issue. If not approved, all she can do is wait.

Mr Obiwills

Feb 16, 2024
Hello..My spouse and I got our application approved for study and spousal open work permit..we both sent our passport for stamping..however only hers has been stamped and returned..Mine for SOWP has been at IRCC office for d past two weeks now.. Not stamped yet..I'm beginning to get worried..Please is this normal?

azeezdauda33

Feb 17, 2024
I applied for sowp for my wife few days before the new ircc rules what should be our hope for those that are in these situations since they didn’t put the exact date is gonna take effect “few weeks “ this can translate to months so does it mean we are still eligible ? The application is already in process now

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I applied for sowp for my wife few days before the new ircc rules what should be our hope for those that are in these situations since they didn’t put the exact date is gonna take effect “few weeks “ this can translate to months so does it mean we are still eligible ? The application is already in process now
All you can do is wait and see what happens.

Reactions: azeezdauda33

sudhabullodu

Apr 30, 2022
Hello..My spouse and I got our application approved for study and spousal open work permit..we both sent our passport for stamping..however only hers has been stamped and returned..Mine for SOWP has been at IRCC office for d past two weeks now.. Not stamped yet..I'm beginning to get worried..Please is this normal?
Hi ,
Can you please share your timelines please
application submission date

guri00009

May 29, 2022
I am on PGWP. My spouse came on SOWP and now she is applying for study permit. Will this impact the in-canada applicants as well? If I apply for SOWP?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am on PGWP. My spouse came on SOWP and now she is applying for study permit. Will this impact the in-canada applicants as well? If I apply for SOWP?
You are not eligible for a SOWP based on policy changes a few years ago.

You are considered the Principal Foreign National (PFN). This refers to the person/foreign national who first applied for temporary status in Canada – in this case, the student.

This loophole previously allowed spouses and common-law partners to “flip-flop” between who was the principal status holder (the student or the worker), and then become the spousal open work permit holder themselves as their own spouse either went to school or began working in an eligible job. This was done in order to continue remaining in Canada as a temporary resident and gaining eligible work experience for a PR application, and is no longer possible.

Reactions: YVR123

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My concern is whether the recent IRCC decision on SOWP will affect us in immigration, especially since my spouse just got the student permit for two-year diploma program at MSVU in Nova Scotia. I received my SOWP passport request on March 14th, 2024, but I haven't submitted yet.
What is the issue? Immigration is not guaranteed for students and that has not changed.

Prabh1605

Apr 4, 2024
Hi, I have a study permit that commenced on 1 Jan 2024, and my wife got the Spouse open work permit on 20th Jan. Our Visas are eligible till 31 Dec 2024. However, I plan to opt for another course starting in January 2025. Will I be able to extend my wife's open work permit after 31 Dec 2024? She is currently working for a company.