+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Changes PGWP holder, what should ask from my employer now?

brian999x

Mar 2, 2012
Hello!,

So I am currently standing at 430 points and my only hope was for my current employer to help me with obtaining an LMIA before my PGWP expires so I can get 600 more points.

But now, I'm not quite sure about how the new rule is going to apply now. As I understand, LMIA doesnt matter now and I have to ask for a job offer from my current employer and not a LMIA?

If I'm understanding this all wrong. Any advice on what I can do? or Is there anything that I can ask for from my employer that could help me. I have 6 months left on my permit and I think it's a crucial time to ask them

if there is something I could ask them for.

Thanks!
Brian

omarimam

Apr 11, 2016
Ottawa-Ontario
NOC Code......
brian999x said:
Hello!,

So I am currently standing at 430 points and my only hope was for my current employer to help me with obtaining an LMIA before my PGWP expires so I can get 600 more points.

But now, I'm not quite sure about how the new rule is going to apply now. As I understand, LMIA doesnt matter now and I have to ask for a job offer from my current employer and not a LMIA?

If I'm understanding this all wrong. Any advice on what I can do? or Is there anything that I can ask for from my employer that could help me. I have 6 months left on my permit and I think it's a crucial time to ask them

Thanks!
Brian
LMIA now offers only 50 or 200 max depending on your type of work.

jack_is_jack

Star Member
Nov 11, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
18-12-2014
brian999x said:
Hello!,

Thanks!
Brian
You still need to obtain LMIA (if your WP is open type), but it will give only 50 points.

Specterz

Apr 2, 2015
Mississauga, Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
Jan 06, 2017
Med's Done....
Mar 07, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 14, 2017
Job offer has to be supported by LMIA, in order to claim 50 points.

If your employer doesn't get LMIA, you will not get those 50 points.

brian999x

Mar 2, 2012
Yeah my job code is NOC 5241 so just 50 pts.

If I ask for an LMIA, should I just ask for them to get me a work permit?

It's the same direction right? LMIA is the assessment that gets you a work permit. Currently I'm on a post grad open work permit expiring June 2017.

In case I don't make it on the pool for PR, I can still continue my work here?

pedestal-man

Dec 16, 2015
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawwa
NOC Code......
0**1
AOR Received.
25-05-2017
Can persons living in Canada with SOWP and PGWP be eligible for 50 points for job offer?

Is LMIA required?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
brian999x said:

Before, the 600 points required the LMIA plus a written offer of full-time permanent employment (LMIA alone was not enough). Now, you still need the LMIA plus a written offer of full-time employment, but only for one year from the date you obtain permanent resident status, and that is for 50 points instead of 600 (unless your NOC starts with 00, which is worth 200 points).

You will gain points for your Canadian education, and the "bar" will change, so to speak, so your application will become more competitive.

There are only 3 days to wait until the changes take place, I suggest waiting to see what happens over the next month or so before making any decisions.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
pedestal-man said:
Can persons living in Canada with SOWP and PGWP be eligible for 50 points for job offer?

Is LMIA required?
If you have at least one year of work experience in Canada, then yes - You would have to get the LMIA plus a written offer of full-time employment for at least one year after obtaining PR status.

brian999x

Mar 2, 2012
jes_ON said:
You would have to get the LMIA plus a written offer of full-time employment for at least one year after obtaining PR status.
Appreciate the answers, thank you. And yes I prob should look at what happens.

"after obtaining the PR status?" I'm not sure I understand this correctly. So LMIA and written offer (for 1 year work) will be needed after getting PR status? But if you have PR status you dont need LMIA/work offer anymore right as you can work freely as a permanent resident?

Sorry prob something I did not get. I'm trying to get 50 more points for CEC application and if in case I don't make it, a work permit perhaps so I can continue work here while waiting in the pool.

brian999x

Mar 2, 2012
Sorry did you mean after working for 1 year as a resident here, I can ask for an LMIA/Written offer from my employer to help me get 50 more points?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
brian999x said:
"after obtaining the PR status?" I'm not sure I understand this correctly. So LMIA and written offer (for 1 year work) will be needed after getting PR status? But if you have PR status you dont need LMIA/work offer anymore right as you can work freely as a permanent resident?

In order for you to be awarded the 50 points, you would need three things:
1) At least one year of work experience in Canada
2) LMIA
3) Written offer of FUTURE employment from the same employer named on the LMIA, offering you a job for a period of no less than one year, starting from the date that you receive permanent resident status.

http://www.cicnews.com/2016/11/canada-outlines-significant-changes-comprehensive-ranking-system-crs-express-entry-immigration-118652.html

Sorry prob something I did not get. I'm trying to get 50 more points for CEC application and if in case I don't make it, a work permit perhaps so I can continue work here while waiting in the pool.

Your employer can apply for a dual intent LMIA, for both the work permit and to support the PR application.

BruceSouza

May 2, 2018
Hi All!!

Well, I am in the same situation. This 50 points I would be invited next day. But my question about the getting a job offer from an employer is that:

There is a new rule for Animation/VFX industry to make this process easier for the employer to keep their employees. What basically changed since the employers still need to be approved for LMIA? And what documents do They need to show with this new rule?