Med's Done....
12-07-2013
Passport Req..
15-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-12-2013
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
Haven't seen one, but does anyone that has previously immigrated to Canada got a checklist of things that you need to do, or should do as a "new comer" ? I am not talking about the legal, mandatory stuff, more like things to join, grocery store memberships. i have the below list (so far) feel free to add, comment etc

Credit card

Bank account

Driver licence

SIM card

SIN Card (social insurance number) “nationwide”

Health Card (Provincial)

Public Library Card

browntrout

Apr 20, 2013
Hong Kong
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong S.A.R
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2013
AOR Received.
04-10-2013
File Transfer...
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
12-07-2013
Passport Req..
15-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-12-2013
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
canadavisa13 said:
*job hunting
*housing search
those are done, meant so say i have all the "BIG" stuff cleared, just wanted to know more about the smaller stuff

buliwyf

Star Member
Mar 27, 2013
Banking package [debit card (chequing/savings), credit card]
SIN number
Health Card
Driver's License
Cellphone (smartphone w/ data plan; you will need Google Maps for both driving and public transit)
Presto card (if you're in GTA) or some other transit chip card

Money would also help, hahah

browntrout

Apr 20, 2013
Hong Kong
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong S.A.R
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2013
AOR Received.
04-10-2013
File Transfer...
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
12-07-2013
Passport Req..
15-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-12-2013
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
buliwyf said:
Banking package [debit card (chequing/savings), credit card]
SIN number
Health Card
Driver's License
Cellphone (smartphone w/ data plan; you will need Google Maps for both driving and public transit)
Presto card (if you're in GTA) or some other transit chip card

Money would also help, hahah
Agree on the cellphone & data plan, likely one of the first thing i will pick up when i land as i would be out and about pretty much everyday initially taking care and registering for things, got the TomTom app for my phone which would help with driving initially also :)

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you own any firearms you'll need a PAL (Possession and Acquisition License). The old POL (Possession Only License) is no longer available to new applicants. Cost is $60 or $80, depending on the class of firearm, and it's valid for 5 years. You'll need to complete the Canadian Firearms Safety Course first. Proof of completion is required for the PAL.

Likewise, if you own any boats or personal watercraft, you'll need a PCOC (Pleasure Craft Operator Card.)

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
as far as i know Tom Tom is not the greatest app in canada.
also if you are only going to stay for week after your landing then leave and comeback after few months,i would advice against signing a term contract for cellphone at the moment,wait until you permanently settle in.
if you do not have credit history in canada(which is you don't because you are a newcomer) some mobile companies such as telus,rogers,bell...may ask for a deposit before they approve your term contract,so you can either pay the deposit or go on a month to month plan to build your credit history first.
im not sure if you are going to be renting an appartement,so if thats the plan you will have to pay for power bill and some places does not even include heat,also you will need a cable/satellite down the road.
try to use the public transport in your first days,it will help you explore the city.

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
also you can pay a visit to a newcomer centre,they often hold sessions for new immigrants and they are very informative.

browntrout

Apr 20, 2013
Hong Kong
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong S.A.R
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2013
AOR Received.
04-10-2013
File Transfer...
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
12-07-2013
Passport Req..
15-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-12-2013
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
canadavisa13 said:
as far as i know Tom Tom is not the greatest app in canada.
also if you are only going to stay for week after your landing then leave and comeback after few months,i would advice against signing a term contract for cellphone at the moment,wait until you permanently settle in.
if you do not have credit history in canada(which is you don't because you are a newcomer) some mobile companies such as telus,rogers,bell...may ask for a deposit before they approve your term contract,so you can either pay the deposit or go on a month to month plan to build your credit history first.
im not sure if you are going to be renting an appartement,so if thats the plan you will have to pay for power bill and some places does not even include heat,also you will need a cable/satellite down the road.
try to use the public transport in your first days,it will help you explore the city.
Plan to buy a car in the first few days actually, and just drive around and get to know the city. But when i do get there its more on a permanent basis, so don't mind a contract for cell phone. Planning on getting either Mobilicity or Wind as these are the only two that i have found that offer reasonable plans (comparing to other countries) currently where i am i pay $32 equiv. for 2000 min and 5GB of data / month which is good for me. Both these 2 Canadian companies offer similar for around $30. I know the big "three" or "five" or whatever they are are considered more reliable, but we are over that stage i think. Those carriers that overprice are going the same way as BlackBerry (which i like, using BlackBerry and Samsung S4) downwards......

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
cell phones plans are very expensive in canada everyone knows that.whoever mobilicity and wind are not so great,they have a very limited coverage that is why their plans are cheap,trust me im speaking from experience.
KOODO is a great company and they have a very good plans,its owned by telus i guess.you can also go for virgin mobile i have heared they are good.
bell,telus,rogers,fido and koodo and virgin mobile are the most popular in canada.

buliwyf

Star Member
Mar 27, 2013
Don't waste your money on paid GPS apps like Tomtom, Garmin, etc.

Waze and Google Maps are the only apps you'll need. Personally, I use Waze for driving since it's much smoother than Google and the voice doesn't sound as retarded as Google.

For public transit and finding places though, I use Google Maps

sharat_joshi77

Jun 21, 2011
Brampton
Visa Office......
Mexico City
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Mar-2010
Doc's Request.
May-2010
IELTS Request
May-2010
File Transfer...
May-2010
Med's Request
Nov-2011
Med's Done....
Feb-2011
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
May-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June-2011
LANDED..........
Aug-2011
browntrout said:
Agree on the cellphone & data plan, likely one of the first thing i will pick up when i land as i would be out and about pretty much everyday initially taking care and registering for things, got the TomTom app for my phone which would help with driving initially also :)
browntrout, when are you landing.
Well, I work with ACN and have some good deals for the cheapest and best phone service for your home phone and internet needs.
I have some plans where in Digital Home phone costs only $29.99/ month and you can call upto 80 countries free on landlines and cellulars...
And if you bundle it with High Speed internet, you pay only $69.99/ month and you get 7 Mbps download speed internet with unlimited downloads.
All other providers have a limited download limit with quite a high price...

Have other cervices like cellular as well...
Let me know if you are interested to know...and would like to catch up on this when you land...

Regards,
Sharat Joshi

sharat_joshi77

Jun 21, 2011
Brampton
Visa Office......
Mexico City
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Mar-2010
Doc's Request.
May-2010
IELTS Request
May-2010
File Transfer...
May-2010
Med's Request
Nov-2011
Med's Done....
Feb-2011
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
May-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June-2011
LANDED..........
Aug-2011
browntrout said:
Credit card
Bank account
Driver licence
SIM card
SIN Card (social insurance number) “nationwide”
Health Card (Provincial)
Public Library Card

Well, you might want to go through safe driving classes that could reduce your insurance premiums...
All other things are already covered i guess...

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sharat_joshi77 said:
Well, you might want to go through safe driving classes that could reduce your insurance premiums...
All other things are already covered i guess...
You are kidding! Getting safe driving classes would not reduce the insurance premium in BC.

sharat_joshi77

Jun 21, 2011
Brampton
Visa Office......
Mexico City
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Mar-2010
Doc's Request.
May-2010
IELTS Request
May-2010
File Transfer...
May-2010
Med's Request
Nov-2011
Med's Done....
Feb-2011
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
May-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June-2011
LANDED..........
Aug-2011
steaky said:
You are kidding! Getting safe driving classes would not reduce the insurance premium in BC.
In Ontario it does have impact on Car insurance premium. The driving schools must be registered with MTO (Ministry of Transport) and you do get a diploma from Service Ontario offices for that...

I am not sure if the same rule applied to other provinces though !!!
And while requesting the quotes from companies, they do ask this question "If you have undergone Safe driving test in past 1 year".