+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Brunswick Buying Car on International Driving Permit

Sengkang

Star Member
May 16, 2018
Hi Everyone,

I will be arriving in NB very soon and i'm planning in buying a car as soon as possible - i am holding a Philippines Driving License and an International Driving Permit.

Has anyone bought a used car - transfer the ownership and register the car in your own name without an NB license (meaning you only have your IDP and Philippines license)?

I understand in order to register the car under your name you need to have an auto insturance first. but before you can buy an auto insurance you need to have an NB driver's license first.

Applying for NB license will take some time and I was hoping i can make use of IDP first while doing the transition to an NB license.

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
Are you a PR? You won't be able to buy the car and drive it off the lot without insurance.

You may be able to purchase it on a G1 but the rates would be very high and you can't drive without having a G seated at your side.
As a newcomer in Ontario you can drive on your international license only for two months. Not sure the requirements in NB so I would check on that.

My advice would be to rent a car if/when you need it at the beginning until you start the process of getting your Canadian license. Once you get your G1 technically you are not allowed to use your international license and you will need to wait until you pass your road test for the G2.

Nathan Adams

Apr 25, 2024
For registration of a car, I'm not sure, but to get financing, you would need a New Brunswick driver's license. I have auto financing available for newcomers on work permits and PR in the province of New Brunswick only. Any year of car. 30% down and approved at bank rates. Full term loans (like 60 months) even for those on shorter work permits. Most places can only give short loans on expensive almost new cars or do private loans that do not build your credit in Canada. This is loan just like any citizen would get except you must do a down payment to secure it. It will build your credit for future dreams like getting a mortgage for a home. Email me sales@campbellsauto.com