+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Born in Canada

sachinsakpal

Jul 22, 2017
Hey Guys , what will be the status of the new born baby in the Canada for the work permit parents . Is any one experience the same situation please guide through
Thanks,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Canadian citizen.

sachinsakpal

Jul 22, 2017
Canadian citizen.
Hi ,
Thank you for the response ! Is there anything which i need to take care about while getting birth certificate or doing registration ? as i have received mixed reactions from the people on this , as per few of the people if parents are on WP then child is not eligible for the Canadian Citizenship.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
As Scylla said any child born in Canada is a Canadian citizen. It does not matter what the status of the parents is at the time of birth whether they are on work permit or even just on a TRV.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
I think only if the parents are foreign diplomats are children born in Canada not automatically granted citizenship; any other status (work permit, refugee, etc.) would have no bearing on the child's status. The mixed reactions from other people is because they think that the parents want to give birth in Canada so that their children can take advantage of the generous social programs, and believe that having Canadian children would give them an advantage in obtaining citizenship themselves (but it does not).

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I think only if the parents are foreign diplomats are children born in Canada not automatically granted citizenship; any other status (work permit, refugee, etc.) would have no bearing on the child's status. The mixed reactions from other people is because they think that the parents want to give birth in Canada so that their children can take advantage of the generous social programs, and believe that having Canadian children would give them an advantage in obtaining citizenship themselves (but it does not).
Good point on citizenship which also applies where parents who are temp residents think that having a child in Canada helps them or qualifies them for PR or even allows them to stay beyond their authorised temp stay which it does not. Sure any child born in Canada can eventually sponsor the parents when the child reaches 18 but before that no advantage.

Just to add that temp residents who have a baby in Canada often forget that their home country might not support dual citizenship so that can be a challenge to take into account when they return to home country with the child.

Last edited:

sachinsakpal

Jul 22, 2017
Yes, this is for sure that parents will not get any benefits from the Citizenship of the kid.
However is there a different process after a birth which we need to follow in case of Canadian Citizenship to the kid. Meaning issuing passport and other registration if any.

selena_0105

Feb 13, 2021
Any idea if we need to include our baby who was born here in canada in our PR application? We received ITA and I'm confused whether he should be included in our application or not because technically he doesn't need to apply for PR anymore since he is a citizen by birth. Any inputs will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Any idea if we need to include our baby who was born here in canada in our PR application? We received ITA and I'm confused whether he should be included in our application or not because technically he doesn't need to apply for PR anymore since he is a citizen by birth. Any inputs will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
No they don't need to be include in the PR application but you need to list your child as your family member.

selena_0105

Feb 13, 2021
No they don't need to be include in the PR application but you need to list your child as your family member.
Thank you so much.. That's exactly what I thought. Is it okay I only include birth certificate of my son to prove relationship. He doesn't have any ID or passport yet.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you so much.. That's exactly what I thought. Is it okay I only include birth certificate of my son to prove relationship. He doesn't have any ID or passport yet.
Follow the instruction on the application but BC would be considered acceptable proof that you are the parents.

selena_0105

Feb 13, 2021
So when I indicated that he is a Canadian citizen on the questionnaire, the system asks me for a travel document (passport or pr card) that proves he's canadian citizen /PR. I don't have any of those nor any govt issued ID. I only have his ohip and birth certificate. I guess I can attach both and see what happens. What do u think?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

So when I indicated that he is a Canadian citizen on the questionnaire, the system asks me for a travel document (passport or pr card) that proves he's canadian citizen /PR. I don't have any of those nor any govt issued ID. I only have his ohip and birth certificate. I guess I can attach both and see what happens. What do u think?
1. Birth certificate is sufficient

Reactions: canuck78