+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New born baby after citizenship application --- help plz

tbs15

Jan 7, 2015
I landed in 2011 and will be applying citizenship by end of this month. My wife is delivering our 2nd baby in 4 months after my application. She is PR while was back in the country with kid after landed for some time. For some reason we will give birth to the little one overseas not here. Also I will be residing out and accompanying her after the application. I am applying alone.

Now I am seeking your kind advise in the following questions.

1. Am I better or worse off by declaring our new born (of course before the citizenship is approved)?
2. I am very much concerned about how declaration would affect the chance of citizenship, would it trigger a RQ (if there is not before that)?
3. How to better explain our whole situation and that we are really coming back some time in the near future?
4. Lastly how to declare if it has to and is there any form.

Just not sure what the worst scenario would be as of the declaration and whole thing. Your response is really appreciated.

josemulino

Feb 10, 2014
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
28-11-2007
That's very easy and CIC specifies that. When you become Canadian, all your children less than 18 years old will automatically get your citizenship too. You should call CIC and let them know of your situation. You might have to send a second application.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
josemulino said:
That's very easy and CIC specifies that. When you become Canadian, all your children less than 18 years old will automatically get your citizenship too. You should call CIC and let them know of your situation. You might have to send a second application.
Not true.
Only children who are
1. permanent residents and
2. on the citizenship application
will become citizens when a parent is granted citizenship.

You will need to sponsor this child for PR in order first.
tbs15 said:
1. Am I better or worse off by declaring our new born (of course before the citizenship is approved)?
2. I am very much concerned about how declaration would affect the chance of citizenship, would it trigger a RQ (if there is not before that)?
3. How to better explain our whole situation and that we are really coming back some time in the near future?
4. Lastly how to declare if it has to and is there any form.
1. I believe it's better to get children citizenship sooner rather than later, so, in my view, you should call cic and ask them how to go about making sure your newborn is eligible for citizenship. Do not lie.
2. Be honest. Hiding the existence of your child won't help anything. If you get an RQ, it's not the end of the world. Sometimes efforts to hide or "manage" the truth in order to avoid RQ backfire because a CIC official gets the sense that your situation doesn't make sense and you're acting like you're hiding something. And then you lied and you get RQ anyway. And lying during the application process is one of the few grounds for revocation of citizenship. Don't try to "manage" the fact that you had a child and act like there's something wrong with travelling abroad or having children where inlaws can help out. It's reasonable. A confident and straightforward applicant will have an easier time than a weird-o applicant.
3. Include a concise, honest and optimistic cover letter. Explain your time frame: spouse and children abroad for next 6 months (or whatever) because of whatever simple reason. Keep it simple.
4. Call CIC.

tbs15

Jan 7, 2015
eileenf said:
1. I believe it's better to get children citizenship sooner rather than later, so, in my view, you should call cic and ask them how to go about making sure your newborn is eligible for citizenship. Do not lie.
2. Be honest. Hiding the existence of your child won't help anything. If you get an RQ, it's not the end of the world. Sometimes efforts to hide or "manage" the truth in order to avoid RQ backfire because a CIC official gets the sense that your situation doesn't make sense and you're acting like you're hiding something. And then you lied and you get RQ anyway. And lying during the application process is one of the few grounds for revocation of citizenship. Don't try to "manage" the fact that you had a child and act like there's something wrong with travelling abroad or having children where inlaws can help out. It's reasonable. A confident and straightforward applicant will have an easier time than a weird-o applicant.
3. Include a concise, honest and optimistic cover letter. Explain your time frame: spouse and children abroad for next 6 months (or whatever) because of whatever simple reason. Keep it simple.
4. Call CIC.
Thanks for your advise Eileenf, you are absolutely right. Re 3. you are saying to send a letter explaination after the birth not right at the beginning when first submission right? Our child is expected to be born 4 months after my application. I am just not sure what the worst situation will be if the declaration is neglected. Your comments. Thanks so much.

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
You need to take things one step at a time
Apply for your citizenship (check and double-check your application to ensure your are missing anything).
Since your wife and kid are already living outside Canada, your are already at risk of RQ, whether before test (when CO review info that you put on your application for your first kid) or after test (if CO starts asking questions about whereabouts of your family or after reviewing stamps in your passport). So there is no benefit to you to hide anything here...

Once the second baby in born, it looks like sending at least a letter to CIC informing them of the newborn is the right thing to do...
However, I'm still unable to see how NOT informing CIC will cause any harm to application. I thought you HAVE TO notify CIC for any change in your family composition while they are processing your application ... but could not find CIC link (Senior please provide link if it exists)... this is all I see from CIC website...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-after.asp
While we process your application, you should only contact CIC if:
•you change your address,
•you plan to leave Canada for more than two weeks in a row,
•you are charged with a crime or
•we do not contact you about your file within the posted processing times.

Also, please read below so you know other risks.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=911&t=5
Can I leave Canada after I mail my citizenship application?
Yes. To apply for citizenship, you must have lived in Canada for three out of the last four years. Those four years are the ones leading up to the date you sign the application. There is not a requirement to stay in Canada while we process your application. However, if you must leave Canada there are several risks you should be aware of.

If you leave Canada, you must continue to meet your residency obligation to keep permanent resident (PR) status. You must be a permanent resident to become a citizen and not just when you apply. If you lose PR status before you take the Oath of Citizenship, you cannot become a citizen. Bring your PR card with you when you leave Canada so you can return easily. Make sure the card will not expire while you are outside Canada. (If your PR card expires, is does not mean you have lost PR status.)

We generally only mail letters, notices and other material to addresses in Canada. Sometimes, you must reply to these letters within a certain amount of time. If you do not reply in time, we will close your application.

You must attend meetings and other events at our offices, like your citizenship test, interview and ceremony. These events only take place in Canada. To reschedule these events or if you miss one, you must contact the CIC Call Centre. The Call Centre can only be reached from within Canada.