+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nervous of applying for student visa

MsMercy

Nov 7, 2019
Hello everyone,
I trust i find you well! Please help. I am a 40 year old single mother. I applied to Centennial college and got accepted for May2020 intake Post Graduate Certificate in Hospitality. My first degree is a Bachelor's of Science in Business Administration with an emphasis in management and marketing. I then went to study a Diploma in Hotel Management and finished in 2013. I have been working in a Hotel since 2013 as a receptionist (guest services associate) to present. My questions are?
1. Will the 6/7 year gap in studies affect my chances of getting a student visa?

2. What exactly should include in the SOP for student visa?
3. Am i able to take my 4 year old daughter with me when i go study? We will have full sponsorship for the duration of stay in Canada
4. I have a brother in the US sponsoring my education and living expenses, will this help my case?
Sorry for the long post. Any help will be greatly appreciated...thank you everyone so much...god bless you all.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So how will you justify taking a hospitality course when you already have a diploma in hotel management and 6 years working in a hotel . You have to show how this course will improve your prospects when you return home and why you need to come to Canada.

MsMercy

Nov 7, 2019
It's a graduate certificate program in Hotel, Resort and Restaurant Management which all falls under Hospitality
So how will you justify taking a hospitality course when you already have a diploma in hotel management and 6 years working in a hotel . You have to show how this course will improve your prospects when you return home and why you need to come to Canada.

MsCutler

Star Member
Sep 12, 2019
Hello everyone,
I trust i find you well! Please help. I am a 40 year old single mother. I applied to Centennial college and got accepted for May2020 intake Post Graduate Certificate in Hospitality. My first degree is a Bachelor's of Science in Business Administration with an emphasis in management and marketing. I then went to study a Diploma in Hotel Management and finished in 2013. I have been working in a Hotel since 2013 as a receptionist (guest services associate) to present. My questions are?
1. Will the 6/7 year gap in studies affect my chances of getting a student visa? - no not necessarily, what is important is to be able to justify the gap (it would help if what you did during the gap is relevant to your future career goal and chosen program) and convey to the visa officer the relevance of your chosen program to your future career goal. It may also help if you could highlight or do a comparison of the curriculum of your previous diploma vs. new chosen program.

It would help if your chosen program is a progression. Also ensure that your chosen program is not redundant to your previous one.

2. What exactly should include in the SOP for student visa? My above comment is one, you might want to search through the forum to get several tips/guide, i think there are multiple threads about this. There is no specific format though I think it would help if its concise/direct to the point.
3. Am i able to take my 4 year old daughter with me when i go study? Yes you can certainly apply for her as well however approval isn't a guarantee. We will have full sponsorship for the duration of stay in Canada
4. I have a brother in the US sponsoring my education and living expenses, will this help my case? My 2cents: having liquid funds for the duration of your study would certainly help in terms of showing financial capability however basing on your profile (working for several yrs already...) Visa officer might want to see that you're already financially capable considering that studying in Canada can be rather costly, VO may wonder why you would need to go to Canada to study in the first place given that you could not independently afford this. If possible it may help if you could have your funds under your name. Try to search about gic/sds stream if you're eligible for this - having gic may help the financial aspect of your profile.
Sorry for the long post. Any help will be greatly appreciated...thank you everyone so much...god bless you all.
- hope above helps and best of luck :)

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
- hope above helps and best of luck :)
I second what MsCutler said. Great point.

Also MsMercy, I am not helping you to lie to VO, but you can mention on SOP the connection between you business and management degree and hotel management is to help you start and manage your own restaurant that way, VO doesn't see your degree is irrelevant. Do this, if that your future goal.

Reactions: MsCutler

Wifefo88

Sep 6, 2019
Hello everyone,
1. Will the 6/7 year gap in studies affect my chances of getting a student visa?

2. What exactly should include in the SOP for student visa?
3. Am i able to take my 4 year old daughter with me when i go study? We will have full sponsorship for the duration of stay in Canada
4. I have a brother in the US sponsoring my education and living expenses, will this help my case?
Hello...please how did your application take before you were given admission to centennial college....and I want to ask if u pay application fee while applying..Thank you