pratick1

Nov 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Possibly LA Consulate General
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
;) Hello Everyone,

I have been researching into this forum for quite a while now. With every honesty, I have found this to be quite helpful. Obviously, there are threads that might not necessarily match my requirements, it is still good to know the ifs and buts of a student visa. So, like everyone else, I have a few queries that I need you guys to address. I am an international student from Nepal presently in United States working on my OPT. My OPT is set to expire this January. Most of you in the states might be aware of the H-1B sponsorship issues, and like so many of us, I was not lucky enough to find a company to sponsor me. I have already given up hopes of being sponsored for 2015 as well. Looking at the Canadian prospects in terms of education and health, I was highly encouraged to apply to Canadian Schools. Now here is where I need you guys to step in and enlighten me-

1. I applied for a MA-Economics Program. Since I have already finished my MBA from United States, how likely do you guys think the visa approval odds are? Btw, my long-term goal is to get a PhD in financial economics. Since I already have my MBA with Finance, I now want to get my MA-Economics so I have some research background before applying to a PhD program. I hope this convinces the consular well enough. I have applied to five Canadian Schools and hope to receive an acceptance letter from at least one. Btw, I have applied for a September 2015 session.

2. Since me and my wife both worked in the past, I have about 30K in my own account. The most expensive program that I have applied is about 12K. With the CIC stating that I need my fees + 10K+ 4K as a dependent, do you think this money would suffice? I plan to show my dad's work from Nepal and my property. In terms of establishing my ties back home, I am going to tell them that I am the only kid and will be returning as and when I am done with studies.

3. I want to apply a Open Work Permit for my wife. Naturally, since she has also finished her Masters in Accounting, I do not see why I should only opt for a Temporary Resident Visa. I understand I might be rejected but this is well worth a risk, isn't it?

4. Police Certificates- This is the most annoying part of all- Nowhere does the checklist tell you to get one. I am not going to show one either. If I am unlucky and they ask for one, I will see what I can do. I have read the threads here but pretty much everyone that said they needed a PC belonged to the nations needing a biometrics too. So, fingers crossed, I am not asked for one. What do you guys recommend?

Hopefully, you can spare a minute of your time and guide me if I am going into the right direction.

Pratick with the "C" :)

pratick1

Nov 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Possibly LA Consulate General
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pratick1 said:
;) Hello Everyone,

I have been researching into this forum for quite a while now. With every honesty, I have found this to be quite helpful. Obviously, there are threads that might not necessarily match my requirements, it is still good to know the ifs and buts of a student visa. So, like everyone else, I have a few queries that I need you guys to address. I am an international student from Nepal presently in United States working on my OPT. My OPT is set to expire this January. Most of you in the states might be aware of the H-1B sponsorship issues, and like so many of us, I was not lucky enough to find a company to sponsor me. I have already given up hopes of being sponsored for 2015 as well. Looking at the Canadian prospects in terms of education and health, I was highly encouraged to apply to Canadian Schools. Now here is where I need you guys to step in and enlighten me-

1. I applied for a MA-Economics Program. Since I have already finished my MBA from United States, how likely do you guys think the visa approval odds are? Btw, my long-term goal is to get a PhD in financial economics. Since I already have my MBA with Finance, I now want to get my MA-Economics so I have some research background before applying to a PhD program. I hope this convinces the consular well enough. I have applied to five Canadian Schools and hope to receive an acceptance letter from at least one. Btw, I have applied for a September 2015 session.

2. Since me and my wife both worked in the past, I have about 30K in my own account. The most expensive program that I have applied is about 12K. With the CIC stating that I need my fees + 10K+ 4K as a dependent, do you think this money would suffice? I plan to show my dad's work from Nepal and my property. In terms of establishing my ties back home, I am going to tell them that I am the only kid and will be returning as and when I am done with studies.

3. I want to apply a Open Work Permit for my wife. Naturally, since she has also finished her Masters in Accounting, I do not see why I should only opt for a Temporary Resident Visa. I understand I might be rejected but this is well worth a risk, isn't it?

4. Police Certificates- This is the most annoying part of all- Nowhere does the checklist tell you to get one. I am not going to show one either. If I am unlucky and they ask for one, I will see what I can do. I have read the threads here but pretty much everyone that said they needed a PC belonged to the nations needing a biometrics too. So, fingers crossed, I am not asked for one. What do you guys recommend?

Hopefully, you can spare a minute of your time and guide me if I am going into the right direction.

Amazing!!!! More than 100 people read this and no one replied! I just have no words to say! I think there are stuffs with ? (Question Marks) in there which means I wanted someone to respond. I guess one of you can be a nice enough to do this.

scholar201

Jul 13, 2013
pratick1 said:
Please see my comments after questions:

ANSWER: Most of the uni in Canada offer funding to Masters and Phd students. It all depends which university you are going to apply. Applying for masters when you already have a masters degree from US, doesn't make much sense to me. If I would be you, I will apply for Phd, if university refuse my admission application atleast I will have a proof that I opt for Phd but was refused. Usually, if you are refused for Phd, universities accept you for a masters program.

ANSWER: Regarding financial support, I find no problems in your plans. Keep it up. Best thing would be if University offers you some funding as well.

ANSWER: You should must apply OWP for your spouse. Many students have done this before and they were successful. I don't think so that officer will reject your application due to your spouse.

ANSWER: You are right. you can provide them certificates if they ask you later after assessing your application.

scholar201

Jul 13, 2013
I applied online study permit on 3 August 2015 from US (Los Angels Visa Office most probably). Biometrics on 4 Aug.
I have received email today from CIC that my application has been updated. When I go to my CIC account there are no new messages and status of my application is still open. It is strange for me. Does anyone know why is it so? ............Please reply.

Cichita89

Aug 31, 2015
Hy there....first of all the update dose not meen anything. ..is just a glitch in their system like many other. As for scholar201 ...I am not sure that your wife can get a open work permit , I believe that for someone to get their open wp the other spouse needs to have obtain a work permit with Lmia (category A or B job.)