+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Neighbors using backyard

ahmed88

May 14, 2017
I recently moved to Canada, rented a townhouse, its bsmnt is rented to other family.
Their boy sometimes play football at the backyard and I don't mind. Now, the whole family plays at the backyard.
This is really annoaing me as this is invading our privacy as we don't close the curtains to enjoy the sun.
what should I do?

Is the backyard shared between house tenants in Canada?
The landlord is away now. but before i rented the house, he asked that the other family's boy might play in the backyard from time to time and I didn't mind.
Also, nothing in the contract says that the backyard is shared (rather, it's my responsibility to take care of it)

what can I do?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It should be specified in your lease whether it is for common use or your unit's use only. It sounds like the tenants may have assumed that if you don't mind their son using it they could also use it. I would seek/email the landlord and check your lease.

May 21, 2018
Most of the time, if both parties rent the same property, both have full use of the yard. It's not your yard anymore than it's heirs.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Most of the time, if both parties rent the same property, both have full use of the yard. It's not your yard anymore than it's heirs.
In the case of houses being rented with a basement unit the main part of the house usually has access to the backyard unless it is a walk out basement. This is often the case because the owner is occupying the above ground portion of the house or renters are paying much more than the basement unit.