+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Needs help please.

monaf9

Mar 30, 2017
Hello there,

I need your kind guidance and advice on my case as below

I came to Canada on a visit visa and was supposed to return back to my country of residence (I'm residing in one of the Gulf countries) on 23rd March from Toronto airport and on the time of the boarding I was not allowed to board on the plane because the Government in that country were only allowing the local national to return back. This is despite the fact that I already have my valid residency in that country and my wife and kids are there as well. I tried my level best since I need to be with my family and kids however nothing worked and today I heard in the news that another month was extended to prevent all expatriates with a valid residency from returning back and this can further be extended. This is a totally unfair and big disrespect to humanity and now I have to live and experience this in a hard way. Anyway too late to complain

To cut the story short, I'm seriously thinking now to apply for asylum refugee however I'm hesitant since I never thought I might go for such a route. kindly advice on the below

- what do I need to apply for the refugee program?
- where to apply.?
- how long this process may take until I get my case accepted.?
- How I can bring my family to be with me.?

Thanks a lot for your advice.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello there,

I came to Canada on a visit visa and was supposed to return back to my country of residence (I'm residing in one of the Gulf countries) on 23rd March from Toronto airport and on the time of the boarding I was not allowed to board on the plane because the Government in that country were only allowing the local national to return back. This is despite the fact that I already have my valid residency in that country and my wife and kids are there as well. I tried my level best since I need to be with my family and kids however nothing worked and today I heard in the news that another month was extended to prevent all expatriates with a valid residency from returning back and this can further be extended. This is a totally unfair and big disrespect to humanity and now I have to live and experience this in a hard way. Anyway too late to complain

To cut the story short, I'm seriously thinking now to apply for asylum refugee however I'm hesitant since I never thought I might go for such a route. kindly advice on the below

- where to apply.?

Are you serious? This is NOT even close to being a situation that qualifies you for refugee status. People all over the world are stuck due to COVID-19. This is not a "big disrespect to humanity". It is an attempt to PREVENT further spread of a deadly virus. Do not file a fake refugee claim because you have to wait a month or 2 to travel.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would add that you have to prove that your life is at risk and that yo7 have been persecuted. An asylum application will have longterm consequences even if you just withdraw. It will make travelling to other countries, working or studying much more difficult if not impossible. Would recommend returning to your home country if you don’t want to wait in Canada.

Reactions: jddd

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
No kidding. Don’t waste Canadian taxpayer time and money with some made up claim of hardship that is in the best interest of everyone involved. Given the circumstances, there is nothing you’ve mention that prevents you waiting in your home country.

monaf9

Mar 30, 2017
Are you serious? This is NOT even close to being a situation that qualifies you for refugee status. People all over the world are stuck due to COVID-19. This is not a "big disrespect to humanity". It is an attempt to PREVENT further spread of a deadly virus. Do not file a fake refugee claim because you have to wait a month or 2 to travel.
hmm i asked for advice not to be judged here :) Anyway I respect your feedback thank you

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Asking for advice on something as serious as a refugee claim(where none exists) usually results in judgement. Expect if you file a claim(that will be refused since you have the option to return to your home country) you will be separated from your wife and children for more than a few months. 2 years is likely the minimum.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
hmm i asked for advice not to be judged here :) Anyway I respect your feedback thank you
You asked for advice on applying for refugee status based on not being able to travel to a particular country for a month or 2 due to measures to control a pandemic. What did you expect?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello there,

- where to apply.?

To answer your questions:
- Information to apply can be found here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/refugees.html
- It will take approximately 3 years for your refugee claim to be processed and then another 1-2 years for your PR application to be processed.
- Your family will be able to join you once the PR application has been approved. So you're most likely lookint at 4-5 years before your family can join you here.

As others have said, your chances of being accepted based on the above are effectively zero. There are actually quite a number of countries that are barring entry to everyone except permanent residents and citizens. These are unusual times and these are emergency responses rather than human rights abuses. Encourage you to explore Canada's economic immigration programs (like Express Entry) if you are interested in moving here permanently. Good luck getting back to your family.

monaf9

Mar 30, 2017
Would add that you have to prove that your life is at risk and that yo7 have been persecuted. An asylum application will have longterm consequences even if you just withdraw. It will make travelling to other countries, working or studying much more difficult if not impossible. Would recommend returning to your home country if you don’t want to wait in Canada.
Thank you for your inputs. returning back to my home country (Iraq) is definitely not an option and would cause a high risk to my life due to civil war, security and religious issues. We already lost properties there for the same reason. Anyway thanks for dropping your note

monaf9

Mar 30, 2017
To answer your questions:
- Information to apply can be found here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/refugees.html
- It will take approximately 3 years for your refugee claim to be processed and then another 1-2 years for your PR application to be processed.
- Your family will be able to join you once the PR application has been approved. So you're most likely lookint at 4-5 years before your family can join you here.

As others have said, your chances of being accepted based on the above are effectively zero. There are actually quite a number of countries that are barring entry to everyone except permanent residents and citizens. These are unusual times and these are emergency responses rather than human rights abuses. Encourage you to explore Canada's economic immigration programs (like Express Entry) if you are interested in moving here permanently. Good luck getting back to your family.
Many thanks for your advice. I will definitely explore all available options to fix my situation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your inputs. returning back to my home country (Iraq) is definitely not an option and would cause a high risk to my life due to civil war, security and religious issues. We already lost properties there for the same reason. Anyway thanks for dropping your note
If you have to wait for a few months Northern Iraq/Kurdistan might be a possibility.. All depends on whether you have the funds to support yourself in Canada. It will likely become more difficult to get out of Canada so if you need to Leave you should do it soon. If not there are some good deals on AirBnBs these days or try to negotiate a better deal. For asylum you need to prove that you have attempted to relocate within your country to find safety unless the whole country is at war like in Syria, Yemen, etc. If your family has been a resident of a gulf country for many years it becomes harder to prove persecution in your home country. In general asylum should always be the last option when applying to move to Canada and most other countries. Economic immigration is usually a faster and better option if you qualify.