+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need your advice on our PR plan

Jan 26, 2024
Hello, I am a Canadian Citizen and currently live in Ontario. My fiancé is newly grad (comp sci) in Hungary, with a Jordanian passport. We are in our early 20s and both male.
We will soon begin his Visa application to Canada which will take at least 300 days. Meanwhile, our idea is to get married in Germany so we can start the 12 month spousal PR sponsorship process earlier so we do not have to wait till he can come to Canada first.
We looked thoroughly and we are not able to get a work permit, at least to our knowledge (including PGWP). As for study permit, it is not feasible for us because he won't be allowed to work enough hours (which means we won't have budget for living) while being a full time student.
I have two questions, but any general advice will be appreciated.
If we get married, can we apply for PR sponsorship before he is able to enter Canada? Or does he need to be living here to start the process.
Do you have a quicker/better idea you could suggest?
Thanks!
Note: We are seeking lawyers/consultants and in the process of getting one, but if we can solidify our plan to be able to save thousands on consultation, that would be preferable.

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello, I am a Canadian Citizen and currently live in Ontario. My fiancé is newly grad (comp sci) in Hungary, with a Jordanian passport. We are in our early 20s and both male. We will soon begin his Visa application to Canada which will take at least 300 days. Meanwhile, our idea is to get married in Germany so we can start the 12 month spousal PR sponsorship process earlier so we do not have to wait till he can come to Canada first. We looked thoroughly and we are not able to get a work permit, at least to our knowledge (including PGWP). As for study permit, it is not feasible for us because he won't be allowed to work enough hours (which means we won't have budget for living) while being a full time student. I have two questions, but any general advice will be appreciated. If we get married, can we apply for PR sponsorship before he is able to enter Canada? Or does he need to be living here to start the process. Do you have a quicker/better idea you could suggest? Thanks!
If planning to marry then marry. Your spouse can apply outland. Assume you have been together for a long time and have proof of that. How much time have you spent together? That will factor in to the approval as a genuine relationship.

colgate1

Star Member
Jul 1, 2023
I don't know how the study and work permits work for students but if your partner applies for a visitor visa before you guys are married and you file the outland sponsorship application, highly likely it will be denied because of the strong ties to canada that is you.

You can get married wherever you want. Once you are married, you can sponsor your partner thru an outland application. Once your parent gets AOR, your partner can apply for a visitor visa. Chances that your partner may be approved because of AOR bit no gurantees.

If it is denied, your partner needs to wait until the outland application approved.

Good luck.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Do you have a quicker/better idea you could suggest?
Note: We are seeking lawyers/consultants and in the process of getting one, but if we can solidify our plan to be able to save thousands on consultation, that would be preferable.
-Get married and apply as soon as you have the marriage certificate and docs in order.
-Apply for TRV once he gets the AOR (acknowledgement of receipt).
-He can come to Canada and apply for open work permit on basis of the PR spousal application. Don't know how long it takes for those.

He can apply for TRV before you get the AOR or submit the spousal sponsorship app but very hard to say if it will be approved. Chances of TRV approval seem higher after the AOR.

If your packet of relationship evidence is decent, you should not need a consultant. I'd include in strength of that packet lots of time together physically - esp if you originally met online, for example.