+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Urgent Advice!

erinjanel

Jun 30, 2020
Hello everyone!

This is my first post here, as I have been reading the threads and it seems like such a helpful community. I am a Canadian citizen that was born here. My husband was selected for Express Entry through CEC and his biometrics were requested. Biometric collections are still closed, and the issue is my husband’s passport expires July 23. His country has mandatory military service and they are refusing to renew his passport until he completes one year of service, or turns 30 which is when he will be exempt from service. We were told by two lawyers to apply for Family Sponsorship PR, as Canada forgives staying in the country past the passport expiry in these cases. We are nervous to take this advice, as we do not want him banned from the country. We have also considered applying to extend his work permit, so that would give him implied status and hopefully enough time to get biometrics complete once the country opens back up. However, we are unsure if implied status applies when the applicants passport expires, or if PR will even be issued with an expired passport.
Does anyone have any advice? This situation seems so confusing and hopeless, any guidance or ideas would be appreciated

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
Whatever route you take (EE or spousal sponsorship) he is going to need to have a valid passport to complete the process. It's an interesting question as to whether implied status expires when the passport does. I'd have to say 'no' since implied status continues until you get a decision, but again whether he makes it to his biometrics or not is not the issue. The issue is that he will need to get a new passport in order to become a PR so you need to figure out the best (least terrible) way for that to happen.