+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need to travel to India urgently for family emergency

des3k

Mar 10, 2019
Hi, I have an urgent query.

My father is in ICU in India and I need to travel urgently.

I recently became a Canadian citizen and got my Canadian passport earlier this week. I haven't surrendered my Indian passport yet.

I thought I'll apply for an Emergency Visa, but it's such a nightmare. On Consulate General of India, Toronto's website, there is a provision to get emergency appointment using Sampark portal. I entered my details and documentation, including medical certificate, but it has been pending approval for 3 days now. I also called on their emergency contact number many times, but nobody picks up. A recording tells you to drop a WhatsApp message, which I've left many. I also mailed visa.toronto@mea.gov.in, but nobody replies.

I visited BLS center in Toronto, the guard asked inside and said that I need an authorization letter from the Consulate. I went to the consulate, and the guy there kept shirking it off. Sometimes saying go to BLS, we don't give authorization letters, only death is emergency, to all kinds of things. I almost punched the guy. Everyone around was also shocked at what he was saying. There was another lady in similar situation, and she was in tears. I also showed him a printout of the Sampark form which was pending approval, he said maybe the visa officer doesn't think your case is genuine (even though it's still pending and not denied).

I think I've done everything I can, but my efforts are little compared to their incompetence.

Do you think I should travel to India on my Indian passport now? I know I'm not supposed to, and will have problems when exiting India on Canadian passport.
Surrendering the Indian passport and waiting for Entry visa will take time, and I wanted to travel urgently.
Is there anything else I can do?

I honestly feel like tagging MEA on Twitter and pointing out their extreme incompetence, but think they won't give me OCI after that.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi, I have an urgent query.

My father is in ICU in India and I need to travel urgently.

I recently became a Canadian citizen and got my Canadian passport earlier this week. I haven't surrendered my Indian passport yet.

I thought I'll apply for an Emergency Visa, but it's such a nightmare. On Consulate General of India, Toronto's website, there is a provision to get emergency appointment using Sampark portal. I entered my details and documentation, including medical certificate, but it has been pending approval for 3 days now. I also called on their emergency contact number many times, but nobody picks up. A recording tells you to drop a WhatsApp message, which I've left many. I also mailed visa.toronto@mea.gov.in, but nobody replies.

I visited BLS center in Toronto, the guard asked inside and said that I need an authorization letter from the Consulate. I went to the consulate, and the guy there kept shirking it off. Sometimes saying go to BLS, we don't give authorization letters, only death is emergency, to all kinds of things. I almost punched the guy. Everyone around was also shocked at what he was saying. There was another lady in similar situation, and she was in tears. I also showed him a printout of the Sampark form which was pending approval, he said maybe the visa officer doesn't think your case is genuine (even though it's still pending and not denied).

I think I've done everything I can, but my efforts are little compared to their incompetence.

Do you think I should travel to India on my Indian passport now? I know I'm not supposed to, and will have problems when exiting India on Canadian passport.
Surrendering the Indian passport and waiting for Entry visa will take time, and I wanted to travel urgently.
Is there anything else I can do?

I honestly feel like tagging MEA on Twitter and pointing out their extreme incompetence, but think they won't give me OCI after that.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/are-visa-services-being-offered-to-canadian-citizens-who-are-already-in-india.823782/page-2#post-10641045

You can follow steps done by @nivaan5
The exit permit steps is still not clear.

dj!n

Nov 22, 2021
Hi @des3k, I am in a similar situation. In my case, my mother-in-law is hospitalized, and I plan to get an emergency visa for my daughter. I was able to get a medical certificate from the doctors but looks like it doesn't help. Did you get back from the embassy or BLS?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi @des3k, I am in a similar situation. In my case, my mother-in-law is hospitalized, and I plan to get an emergency visa for my daughter. I was able to get a medical certificate from the doctors but looks like it doesn't help. Did you get back from the embassy or BLS?
E-visa wont help you? It comes within 24 hours. Just saw someone receive it within 12 hrs.

Reactions: dj!n

des3k

Mar 10, 2019
Right, apply for an e-visa, they were not available when I needed to travel.
Regarding my situation, my father has recovered and is doing well now. My request for an emergency visa is still pending on the consulate's Sampark portal 45 days later.
I'm working on my surrender certificate and OCI card by post and will travel after all that's done.

senthilkumarank

Star Member
Apr 27, 2017
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-07-2018
AOR Received.
04-11-2018
Right, apply for an e-visa, they were not available when I needed to travel.
Regarding my situation, my father has recovered and is doing well now. My request for an emergency visa is still pending on the consulate's Sampark portal 45 days later.
I'm working on my surrender certificate and OCI card by post and will travel after all that's done.
Good to know your father has recovered and sorry for whatever you went through, it’s really hard how these immigration team works. Better we got evisa service opened now for India. Thanks for sharing your experience in your hard time.