+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need to show PR card before issuing me a new SIN

Tapout007

Star Member
Dec 8, 2012
Did my Landing. Went to service canada on the 3rd day to change my SIN #. I showed them my COPR papers with my U.S Citizen Passport, the guy working there said i have to wait for my PR card to arrive then go back to them to issue me a the new SIN, because they said i was born in the Philippines but a us citizen passport holder . I told them they dont put a countrrfoil visa stamp on U.S passport and said still have to wait for PR card.. Anyone had the same problem???

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Tapout007 said:
Did my Landing. Went to service canada on the 3rd day to change my SIN #. I showed them my COPR papers with my U.S Citizen Passport, the guy working there said i have to wait for my PR card to arrive then go back to them to issue me a the new SIN, because they said i was born in the Philippines but a us citizen passport holder . I told them they dont put a countrrfoil visa stamp on U.S passport and said still have to wait for PR card.. Anyone had the same problem???
People who have had this problem in the past have had the COPR number & signature missing from their passport (underneath the entry stamp). Is this the case for you?

Tapout007

Star Member
Dec 8, 2012
Thanks zardoz and mikenz. I was reading CIC site they menstion about visa empt countries dont need stamp on U.S Passport

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Tapout007 said:
Thanks zardoz and mikenz. I was reading CIC site they menstion about visa empt countries dont need stamp on U.S Passport
I think that when you "land" you always get an entry stamp. I certainly did and I'm visa-exempt from the UK. Let's see if some US citizens can clarify this...

Tapout007

Star Member
Dec 8, 2012
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2011/ob348.asp

Operational Bulletin 348 –
November 14, 2011

Elimination of Counterfoils for Approved Permanent Residence Applicants from Visa-Exempt Countries

Summary

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will no longer issue a counterfoil to applicants approved for permanent residence from visa exempt countries. All approved applicants will continue to be issued a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) document.

Background

Currently, all applicants approved for permanent residence, even from countries exempt from the Temporary Resident Visa requirement, are issued a counterfoil and seal in the passport that they are using for their initial travel to Canada to become a permanent resident.

Instructions

As of December 1, 2011, missions will no longer issue a counterfoil to applicants approved for permanent residence, if the “CNTRY OF ISS. OF TRAVEL DOC:” field on the COPR identifies a regular passport issued by the United States of America or a country identified in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations 190(1)(a) or (b) or 190(2)(b), (c), (d) or (e).

The Canada Border Services Agency's Border Services Officers (BSOs) and Migration Integrity Officers in Canada and abroad will be advised of this change. BSOs will continue to evaluate individuals at the Primary Inspection Line and determine which persons are immigrating to Canada and refer those new immigrants to Immigration secondary for finalization of permanent residence status. In cases where the new immigrant is not finalized at the port of entry as required, staff should advise the individual to contact the CIC Call Centre for options to correct their status in Canada. The Call Centre will continue to follow their current procedures when contacted by immigrants who require finalization of permanent residence status.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Tapout007 said:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2011/ob348.asp

Operational Bulletin 348 –
November 14, 2011

Elimination of Counterfoils for Approved Permanent Residence Applicants from Visa-Exempt Countries

Summary

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will no longer issue a counterfoil to applicants approved for permanent residence from visa exempt countries. All approved applicants will continue to be issued a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) document.

Background

Currently, all applicants approved for permanent residence, even from countries exempt from the Temporary Resident Visa requirement, are issued a counterfoil and seal in the passport that they are using for their initial travel to Canada to become a permanent resident.

Instructions

As of December 1, 2011, missions will no longer issue a counterfoil to applicants approved for permanent residence, if the “CNTRY OF ISS. OF TRAVEL DOC:” field on the COPR identifies a regular passport issued by the United States of America or a country identified in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations 190(1)(a) or (b) or 190(2)(b), (c), (d) or (e).

The Canada Border Services Agency's Border Services Officers (BSOs) and Migration Integrity Officers in Canada and abroad will be advised of this change. BSOs will continue to evaluate individuals at the Primary Inspection Line and determine which persons are immigrating to Canada and refer those new immigrants to Immigration secondary for finalization of permanent residence status. In cases where the new immigrant is not finalized at the port of entry as required, staff should advise the individual to contact the CIC Call Centre for options to correct their status in Canada. The Call Centre will continue to follow their current procedures when contacted by immigrants who require finalization of permanent residence status.
I'm not talking about the visa counterfoil. I'm talking about the ink date/place stamp that is put in your passport when you are landed. The immigration officer then (normally) hand writes your COPR number under it and signs it. It's THAT that Service Canada seems to be looking for.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
zardoz said:
I'm not talking about the visa counterfoil. I'm talking about the ink date/place stamp that is put in your passport when you are landed. The immigration officer then (normally) hand writes your COPR number under it and signs it. It's THAT that Service Canada seems to be looking for.
I received an ink stamp in my passport along with my COPR# printed underneath it. USA passport holder.

While Tapout is correct in that he won't get a counterfoil, the admitting officer should have stamped his passport with an ink stamp and included his COPR # with it. If that did not happen, then I am sorry to say that you will indeed have to wait for your PR card to get a permanent SIN. However, you can continue to work using your temporary SIN as it will all change over automatically when you are finally able to get your permanent number.

voltron

Feb 26, 2014
I got my sin card with just my usa passport, usa drivers license and the paper the landing officer gave me. I still havent recieved my pr card. maybe try a different sodial service office.

99Shadowrider

Oct 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2012
AOR Received.
18-11-2012
File Transfer...
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
15-10-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-05-2013
LANDED..........
23-05-2013
I was able to get SIN number next day following landing with COPR and passport. Passport was stamped and signed with "PR" written in, no number.

no190

Dec 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I got my new SIN at the same day of the landing, with passport stamped and COPR.

If you are living in a big city where there are multiple Service Canada, try different ones.