+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need to renounce PR status for eta application

jackalbow

Sep 15, 2017
hi,
I have applied for an ETA as I wish to go on holiday to Canada, however I applied for residency in Canada about ten years ago but never met the 2 year policy as I decided against moving to Canada. I got a message saying this (see link [first two files]https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BxhrzcyTRcgNSGswbzROdEoyTjQ?usp=sharing) which basically said I needed to renounce my PR status before getting my eta. I checked the status of my eta application online and it said I had to send a letter of explanation????? so I sent a letter of explanation as well the , document checklist for voluntary renunciation (IMM 5783E), the Application to voluntarily renounce Permanent res status (IMM 5782) as well as two photos and a copy of my passport. Yet I got another message a couple of hours later saying "letter of explanation" again !!! (see the third file in the link) I don't know what to do? help

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
It will take some time going through the bureaucratic process before the renouncing of your PR becomes official. How long did you wait after sending all the docs, before you tried for eTA again?

jackalbow

Sep 15, 2017
when i first sent the documents it took them 3 to 4 hours before they sent the second letter to me. I rearranged my documents so my letter of explanation was last and my voluntary renunciation docs were first, I also corrected a couple of spelling mistakes on the renunciation form (IMM 5782). I didn't try for eTa again. I initially applied for eTA and said "yes" to previously applying for pr status (we never actually got the full pr status because we didn't stay in Canada for the two years), I then created an ircc account where I linked my eta application to it. From there I got the message and email saying I had to renounce my pr status and that my eTA application was on hold because of it, so I pretty much have to renounce my pr status before to continue and complete my eTA application.

dogg'

Mar 4, 2018
May I please ask how did your renounce of PR went? I am going through the same process right now, I would like to know what will happen next and how long does it take approximately. Thanks!!!!

marveciana

Jun 30, 2019
I'm actually living the same circumstances..how did it go? In my case they just ask me for 3 documents, but they are not specifying (only the photos. did you sent two pictures in the same jpg or pdf document??), but I do not know for the other two..I guess one must be the IMM 5782 and the other one the passport..
And in the formular IMM5782 there is a strange question, 10c, in which they ask you where do you want to stay in Canada. What do they mean? A sin holydays????
Thank you so much, I am really in anxiety..I was planning to pass my holydayd in canada with my sons because my husband is actualy there and they didn't let me take the plane last friday...
please, help me!!!

blat008

Jul 19, 2019
I wanted to add my experience as most comments are a few years old. My husband and I are flying to Canada next week. He had permanent residency but we moved to Europe where we’ve lived the past five years, so we knew the PR had lapsed. He applied online for the ETA on Wednesday this week, heard back 12 hours later telling him to submit supplementary documentation renouncing his PR. He submitted the requested documentation electronically Thursday morning and he received his ETA early Friday morning. Less than 48 hours from beginning to end. We were really stressed about the whole thing but were pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: Chinwe40