+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

need to renew visitor's visa

misterkel

Mar 29, 2011
My immigration almost through - applied from outside Canada. But I am in Canada on a 6 month visa with my PR wife (German). I want to renew my visa - can I do it through an inland office, eg Halifax? Or do I have to cross the border again?

misterkel

Mar 29, 2011
Charlie - thanks. Good tip. May not work for me, though. I don't have the proof of ability to support myself. I have a landed spouse. Any knowledge on whether I can apply for visitor record renewal in Halifax? It saves me a looong trip to the border.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Submit proof of your qualifying relationship (marriage licence copy), proof of the outland PR application in process, and proof of support from your wife (pay stubs or letter of employment copy from the PR application) and they will approve based on that. You do not have to have your own support when you have a qualified sponsoring spouse.

No, do not apply for a VR renewal in Halifax. I actually recommend that you use this extension application (rather than the online link, as you can't attach additional info to that) and send by registered mail to the Case Processing Office in Vegreville. The address is in the application package. Track the mailing and get delivery confirmation. The extension application has to be received by CPC-V before your current status expires for you to benefit from "implied status" to remain in Canada legally until they make a decision on the extension (about 100 days). Your tracking and delivery confirmation is your proof of implied status.

avocadosandcheese

Star Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa/LA???
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan-05-2012
AOR Received.
Never.
File Transfer...
March-28-2012...supposedly
Med's Done....
August-15-2011
Passport Req..
June-27-2012
VISA ISSUED...
July-5-2012
LANDED..........
July-25-2012
RobsLuv said:
Submit proof of your qualifying relationship (marriage licence copy), proof of the outland PR application in process, and proof of support from your wife (pay stubs or letter of employment copy from the PR application) and they will approve based on that. You do not have to have your own support when you have a qualified sponsoring spouse.

No, do not apply for a VR renewal in Halifax. I actually recommend that you use this extension application (rather than the online link, as you can't attach additional info to that) and send by registered mail to the Case Processing Office in Vegreville. The address is in the application package. Track the mailing and get delivery confirmation. The extension application has to be received by CPC-V before your current status expires for you to benefit from "implied status" to remain in Canada legally until they make a decision on the extension (about 100 days). Your tracking and delivery confirmation is your proof of implied status.
I applied via the online application, and from the date that I submitted it, until I received my extension in the mail, it was 2 weeks. I strongly recommend the online app.

Belinasha

Star Member
Nov 3, 2011
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
Doc's Request.
14-09-2012 - New FBI needed - 120 days to submit - then told disregard request
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
29-05-2012 to LA
Med's Request
Meds received 29-05-2012; Medical extension received 16-10-2012
Med's Done....
27-10-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-01-2013 received at LA 08-01-2013 ; Decision Made 1-17-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-2013 sent to wrong address; 13-02-2013 LA replied new COPR sent to correct address; 21-02-2013 COPR arrives in mail at new address
LANDED..........
22-02-2013....FINALLY after almost 1 full year since applying
We just received my husbands 1 year visitor extension. We applied through mail instead of online because it takes more time for them to process the mailed applications. We took advantage of gaining an extra month and a half this way because you automatically get implied status while waiting. We submitted the app on March 6th by mail and now he's able to stay until the end of April 2013. We also didn't submit 30 days before his deadline date. We sent the app by UPS 4 days before his deadline for applying so we could gain that extra time as well. We sent a copy of our receipt that we applied for PR and wrote that we would like a year because a PR app was sent and didn't have a problem. My husband can't work so I sent a letter of support along showing a balance in our joint account of $7000.00 and that I would be responsible for any and all his needs while he visits here. Good luck whichever way you choose to apply for your extension.