+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

need to inform immigration if extend stay in canada

Keithcjk

Star Member
Apr 22, 2012
My uncle came to visit me from Singapore on sep 12 this year. No visa required as we are one of the visa-exempt country.
He is suppose to stay for only 2.5 months and will be leaving on Nov 25.
He indicated on the white custom card that he will only be staying for 3 months but now he is extending another 3 months till Feb 25.
He will forgo his return ticket and buy a new one way ticket from Canada back to his country as his ticket is only valid for 3 months.
Does he need to inform immigration that he will extending his stay?
He is concern because he filled up the card and specified 3 months and he is not sure whether they track in their system. Now he is extending till Feb 25 which is still within the 6 months period.
Can anyone advise whether he needs to inform immigration.

If he does not need to inform immigration, would there be any problem at the Canada port of entry if he travel to US and then come back to Canada?

Thanks

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
Keithcjk said:
My uncle came to visit me from Singapore on sep 12 this year. No visa required as we are one of the visa-exempt country.
He is suppose to stay for only 2.5 months and will be leaving on Nov 25.
He indicated on the white custom card that he will only be staying for 3 months but now he is extending another 3 months till Feb 25.
He will forgo his return ticket and buy a new one way ticket from Canada back to his country as his ticket is only valid for 3 months.
Does he need to inform immigration that he will extending his stay?
He is concern because he filled up the card and specified 3 months and he is not sure whether they track in their system. Now he is extending till Feb 25 which is still within the 6 months period.
Can anyone advise whether he needs to inform immigration.

If he does not need to inform immigration, would there be any problem at the Canada port of entry if he travel to US and then come back to Canada?

Thanks
once the immigration officer stamp the passport at the airport the visitor is allowed to stay legally in Canada for 6 months. In some cases the immigration officer limit the allowed time by putting an exit date on the entry stamp or by issuing a visitor record to the visitor.
If your uncle had a general stamp on his passport with only entry date then nothing to worry about he is allowed legally to stay in canada for 6 months and No need to inform the immigration office. btw no such office exist where you can call or inform the immigration officers that you are staying for long. Change of plans is normal as long as he is staying within the allowed time (i.e 6 months).
extensions are only requested by making an application to CIC if someone wants to stay in canada for more than 6 months.
So in short
- NO he do not need to inform the immigration office about his change in plan
- if he goes to USA during this stay and again seek entry into canada he again has to go through the immigration process as he did when he first entered canada and its all upto the immigration officer he encounter at the port of entry. he wont face problem if he can again prove that he is a genuine visitor seeking entry into canada.

hope it helps