+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

need to apply for health card but i cant !

dildaraldoski

Sep 21, 2017
Hi all

We are moving to toronto as federal skilled worker. for the first month I will be living in a furnished apartment. so could you please let me know if i could apply to OHIP or I should Waite until i rent an apartment and have a utility bill with Toronto address on it ?

I have my SIN and bank account that shows an alberta address from when I landed but i did not apply for alberta health card as I did not live there permanently. would that do it or I could submit the rental agreement of the furnished apartment ? but the problem is that the utilities are already included in the price of the furnished apartment so i wont have an utility bill?

thank you for your help

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi all

We are moving to toronto as federal skilled worker. for the first month I will be living in a furnished apartment. so could you please let me know if i could apply to OHIP or I should Waite until i rent an apartment and have a utility bill with Toronto address on it ?

I have my SIN and bank account that shows an alberta address from when I landed but i did not apply for alberta health card as I did not live there permanently. would that do it or I could submit the rental agreement of the furnished apartment ? but the problem is that the utilities are already included in the price of the furnished apartment so i wont have an utility bill?

thank you for your help
As you will not be eligible for OHIP for the first three months anyway, you can wait until you are settled into a more permanent address.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just remember to keep proof of your landing date in Ontario like Ticket and boarding pass. Much easier to wait until you have a permanent address. Very common to wait and no matter when you apply the OHIP start date will begin 3 months after you landing date.

dildaraldoski

Sep 21, 2017
Just remember to keep proof of your landing date in Ontario like Ticket and boarding pass. Much easier to wait until you have a permanent address. Very common to wait and no matter when you apply the OHIP start date will begin 3 months after you landing date.
As you will not be eligible for OHIP for the first three months anyway, you can wait until you are settled into a more permanent address.
Dear Zardor & Canuck 78

Let me get if got it right . Do you Mean even if i do not have a permanant address once I land and I continoue living in for example ( extended hotel suite ) I will still be able to get health card after three month!!

I thought I could only get the OHIP CARD 3 months from the date I go and submit the application for OHIP

Just to confirm what you guys are saying, so if I land II don't apply to OHIP right away and then when I move to permanent residence (lets say 2 months from landing) , does this means I could go and apply for OHIP and I will only need to wait for one month !

thanks all

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Dear Zardor & Canuck 78

Let me get if got it right . Do you Mean even if i do not have a permanant address once I land and I continoue living in for example ( extended hotel suite ) I will still be able to get health card after three month!!

I thought I could only get the OHIP CARD 3 months from the date I go and submit the application for OHIP

Just to confirm what you guys are saying, so if I land II don't apply to OHIP right away and then when I move to permanent residence (lets say 2 months from landing) , does this means I could go and apply for OHIP and I will only need to wait for one month !

thanks all
Yes, correct.

Reactions: canuck78