+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Suggestions for the Application of Postgraduate Work Permit

Shamrock_Rose

Aug 16, 2016
Dear all,

I am planning to apply for a postgraduate work permit. I would like to ask for your suggestions on my case. Please let me first explain my situation.

I originally attended a Ph.D program at a public university in Canada. I studied continuously and full-time from September 2012 – August 2015. From August 2015 to January 2016, I was in an academic appeal with the university, during which my registration status was undetermined. I have documents from the legal clinic, which helped me with the appeal, and also the document of settlement between me and the university. Since the appeal is confidential so I would like to ask for your understanding that I am legally-bound not to divulge any details. Then I was on an approved leave of absence from January 2016 to the end of June 2016.

At the end of my leave of absence, I decided to leave the Ph.D. program with a Master’s degree. The university approved my application of Master’s degree today. I will receive the Letter of Confirmation of Degree Requirement next week and the degree will be granted in November this year.
This means I will be granted my Master’s degree immediately after my leave of absence, no further study is required for me to be granted the Master’s degree. Since my last registered full-time semester is summer 2015, I actually finished the requirement of Master’s degree from September 2012 to August 2015, during the period of time I was registered full-time and continuously. Therefore, I would think I fulfill the requirement of postgraduate work permit. And my study permit is going to expire on September 30th 2016.

I met with the student immigration advisor at my university and asked if I should explain my situation proactively in my application since I know the officer at CIC would have some questions on my situation. I was thinking to ask the university to put phrases in the Letter such as “this student fulfilled the requirement of Master’s degree from September 2012-August 2015, during which the student was registered full-time and continuously.” However, the student advisor advised me not to explain this pro-actively. Instead, he advised me to submit the standardized Letter of Confirmation of Degree Requirement by the university since it will only state I have fulfilled the requirement and my degree will be granted in November 2016. However, I would like to ask for opinions from other knowledgeable people. Please kindly comment if you would have any thought on this. I would really appreciate it. Thank you very much.

Best,
Shamrock_Rose

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your situation is extremely unusual. Any information you get from any of us here will be at best a complete guess. I would try going with the letter that says your degree will be granted November 2016. Whether that works is anyone's guess given you complete your actual studies in 2015 and haven't been in school since then. Good luck.

Shamrock_Rose

Aug 16, 2016
scylla said:
Your situation is extremely unusual. Any information you get from any of us here will be at best a complete guess. I would try going with the letter that says your degree will be granted November 2016. Whether that works is anyone's guess given you complete your actual studies in 2015 and haven't been in school since then. Good luck.
Thank you very much for your very prompt reply. I really appreciate it. I know my case is very unusual.

Might I ask how you would think if I ask the university to add one sentence in their standardized letter, " The official length of the Master’s program was 12 months, for the duration of which XX studied continuously and full-time."

Although I fulfilled the Master's requirement in one year and a half, the official length of the program is 12 months. I believe the PGWP is granted based on the official length of the program?

Thank you again.

Shamrock_Rose

Aug 16, 2016
I started to fill out the IMM5710E and am not sure what to do with the question on Education on p.3. It asks for highest level of post-secondary education. That question also requires me to put down from when to when I finished that education. This becomes problematic. Should I put in September 2012 to August 2015 or should I put in September 2012 to June 2016 for the degree?

Thank you again!