+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need suggestion on passport submission

Geethanjalih

Jan 2, 2021
I have received a passport submission mail for my student visa from IRCC on 30/12/2020. In the letter, they have clearly mentioned that “ Your passport must be valid for the duration of your expected length of stay in Canada.” However, my passport expires on 08/11/2022 (As per the Letter of acceptance from the college my course will end on 21/12/2022). Can you please suggest the best possible solution for this? I am confused.

1: Should I apply for a passport extension from India, or can I do it from Canada? the catch here is I cant apply for a passport before one year of expiry :(
2:As my passport due date is less than my visa dates what happens if I submit my passport to VFS now?

Your quick response is appreciated as I have to submit my passport within 30days

Harry273

Dec 1, 2020
I have received a passport submission mail for my student visa from IRCC on 30/12/2020. In the letter, they have clearly mentioned that “ Your passport must be valid for the duration of your expected length of stay in Canada.” However, my passport expires on 08/11/2022 (As per the Letter of acceptance from the college my course will end on 21/12/2022). Can you please suggest the best possible solution for this? I am confused.

1: Should I apply for a passport extension from India, or can I do it from Canada? the catch here is I cant apply for a passport before one year of expiry :(
2:As my passport due date is less than my visa dates what happens if I submit my passport to VFS now?

Your quick response is appreciated as I have to submit my passport within 30days
Your Timeline please

Naresh_PlantSci

Star Member
Dec 22, 2020

Hi, you can very well travel with the passport that has your student visa to Canada. Once you reach Canada, reach out to Indian embassy before 6 months from the date of expiry of your passport. Go to Indian embassy office in Canada, perhaps you may have to travel to another city to renew your passport. What happens during your renewal is you will get a new passport and your old passport will be cancelled and sealed by Indian emabssy and if the emabssy finds any active visa in your cancelled passport, the embassy writes a statement saying that VISA IF ANY REMAINS VALID. I have undergone a same process when I was in Philippines and renewed my passport there. However, you cannot extend your passport validity I think, but you can renew your passport.

Geethanjalih

Jan 2, 2021
What I understand is I will get visa based on my study period ( course start date is 16/10/2020 & end date is 21/12/2022)

Geethanjalih

Jan 2, 2021
Thanks a lot for your quick response. I am worried about Canada the rules may vary from country to country. Now the big question is should I submit the old passport for stamping or should I renew & send the new one?

NavKaur12

Dec 25, 2020

Hii
I just wanted to know if we get the passport request Mail it means your visa is approved

Naresh_PlantSci

Star Member
Dec 22, 2020
Thanks a lot for your quick response. I am worried about Canada the rules may vary from country to country. Now the big question is should I submit the old passport for stamping or should I renew & send the new one?
I think you should submit your old passport for stamping, because applying passport renewal might take some time and you have to make sure it shouldn't clash with your passport stamping. You may have to think this way. The embassy didn't ask you for renewed passport and its common by all embassies to make sure the passport is valid and it has enough pages to stamp visa. So, it should be fine according to me. If needed, you write a webform saying that you will renew your passport, or send your passport first to IRCC and see what happens, given if you have only less time to travel to Canada. However, try to talk to any Canada education agents or consultants in India and seek their advise. They might have come across such cases when they send students to Canada. In short, I believe you case should be fine and must not have a problem.

jithinjohn323

Jul 12, 2020
I have a similar situation . I even talked to ircc agent . She told not to renew it as it can cause delays and problems in visa stamping . So better submit old one and extend it when you are in canada as it's easy step to renew there

Geethanjalih

Jan 2, 2021
I think you should submit your old passport for stamping, because applying passport renewal might take some time and you have to make sure it shouldn't clash with your passport stamping. You may have to think this way. The embassy didn't ask you for renewed passport and its common by all embassies to make sure the passport is valid and it has enough pages to stamp visa. So, it should be fine according to me. If needed, you write a webform saying that you will renew your passport, or send your passport first to IRCC and see what happens, given if you have only less time to travel to Canada. However, try to talk to any Canada education agents or consultants in India and seek their advise. They might have come across such cases when they send students to Canada. In short, I believe you case should be fine and must not have a problem.
how to contact IRCC is there any mail id?

Naresh_PlantSci

Star Member
Dec 22, 2020
I am not sure if there is an email for IRCC. You can check that with others. But, generally, everyone submits their inquiry through a web form available in the IRCC website. https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp

You need to go to this link and submit your details like application number, UCI etc and write your query in the given space. Once you submit, they will take sometime to reply with an answer, usually 5-10 days nowadays I think. Keep this in mind, as it may delay to get an answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Geethanjalih