+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need suggestion on cheap and reliable android 4G LTE phone

knowAndShare

Star Member
Nov 19, 2015
So I am looking for a new android phone here in India and was checking amazon.ca to find what phones work there. So apart from well known Iphones and Samsung which costs more, I see phones of a company by name Blu. Basically I would like to buy a phone that should work with most of the service providers of Toronto and neighboring regions and also should be economical, with good features and should be 4G LTE(because I think this technology will remain there for some time.

I see one of the models of Blu which is cheap and good features but not sure if it will be reliable and work with most of the service providers of Ontario/Toronto region? I also checked one plan of Freedom mobile with unlimited calls and unlimited data (2GB full speed, then slowed (no overages)).

Want suggestions and advice from you guys on both phone and this plan, will this phone work with this plan? I have emailed Freedom mobile, waiting for a response meanwhile.

FYI, I am in india and will be moving to Canada in 3-4 months but in need of phone now, so was planning to get one from Canada through a friend who is coming to India.

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
If you are not fussed about used phones (2nd hand), you can try Kijij canada, and get a phone that you will be more happy with, maybe. might be difficult to get to india though.

Good luck

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Taking a phone on a contract will be more expensive than buying a phone outright. If you buy a phone with a contract, your phone will be locked to that network. Phones in USA and Canada are cheaper than in India. So it's is better to buy the handset outright and get a sim only deal. Whether you prefer new or 2nd hand is your personal preference. I would take a used phone from someone I know but I wont buy second hand electronics when I dont know where the handset has been.

I havent heard Blu handsets. Read reviews online and also think about warranty options if something goes wrong with your handset. Apple offers worldwide warranty but that comes at a high price which you may or may not be willing to shell out.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

xpressentry said:
Taking a phone on a contract will be more expensive than buying a phone outright. If you buy a phone with a contract, your phone will be locked to that network. Phones in USA and Canada are cheaper than in India. So it's is better to buy the handset outright and get a sim only deal. Whether you prefer new or 2nd hand is your personal preference. I would take a used phone from someone I know but I wont buy second hand electronics when I dont know where the handset has been.

I havent heard Blu handsets. Read reviews online and also think about warranty options if something goes wrong with your handset. Apple offers worldwide warranty but that comes at a high price which you may or may not be willing to shell out.
1/ The OP should check out staples, unlocked cell phones from $89 up. Then buy a sim and time from any of the companies.

gprasad.n

Star Member
Jun 1, 2015
USA
App. Filed.......
06/2014
Med's Request
12/2014
Med's Done....
01/2015
Passport Req..
04/2015
VISA ISSUED...
05/2015
LANDED..........
11/2015
1+ (One Plus) is cheaper and works in Canada.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
PMM said:
Hi

1/ The OP should check out staples, unlocked cell phones from $89 up. Then buy a sim and time from any of the companies.
I second that. I bought few from Staples on sales.

CanadaComputers sometimes sell unlocked phones too. I bought my used uncloked S5 for $250 and a new unlocked Zenfone 2 for $275 from CC last year. Although the S5 wasn't new, it works like a charm.

Here are the links:
Staples UUnlocked Smartphones
Canada Computers Cell Phones