+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need some advice

NutoCanada

Dec 18, 2020
Hey guys I need some advice I applied for refugee as a lgbtq and was accepted, However I had a child while awaiting my permanent residence. I received my DMand it says you must report to IRCC if you have additional kids born in Canada. My lawyer says I should not report my kid as it may raise issues, however I feel as I should report it, I don’t think there is a law that states you can’t have kids as LGBTQ. Please offer your suggestions. Btw I did not have relations with a man to become pregnant.

Spogmey

Star Member
Dec 4, 2020
Hey guys I need some advice I applied for refugee as a lgbtq and was accepted, However I had a child while awaiting my permanent residence. I received my DMand it says you must report to IRCC if you have additional kids born in Canada. My lawyer says I should not report my kid as it may raise issues, however I feel as I should report it, I don’t think there is a law that states you can’t have kids as LGBTQ. Please offer your suggestions. Btw I did not have relations with a man to become pregnant.
To be honest with Immigration and you must report and I am sure there will be no any issue.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Can’t see how having children would negatively effect your status. I think you should invest in a slightly more enlightened lawyer.

Masjuy

Dec 6, 2020
You have to be honest, and put your kid ‘s name into the application. I read a story, kinda similar situation. It was from official site and the guy claimed refugee status as LGBTQ, and he was here with his family, wife and kids. Then, no worries, nobody says you cannot have a kid

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It's not an optional request and if it was discovered in the future that you had a child that you hadn't disclosed your case could be reevaluated even decades later. You have a very questionable lawyer if they are telling you to misrepresent yourself to the government.

Masjuy

Dec 6, 2020
It's not an optional request and if it was discovered in the future that you had a child that you hadn't disclosed your case could be reevaluated even decades later. You have a very questionable lawyer if they are telling you to misrepresent yourself to the government.
I do agree, how you can hide that you have a kid. Especially in Canada, CRA, child benefits, school records and etc. There is no way to hide it.
About your claim, if it can be reevaluated, nobody knows about it really.

Reactions: canuck78

Kaisa_18

Nov 26, 2018
AOR Received.
08-03-2019
It's odd that your lawyer asking you to do something against immigration laws. Horrible advice and you should report him to law society because they might be fraudulent!

As long as you were honest with your sexual orientation in your claim, there is nothing to be worried about. Just update IRCC asap.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hopefully you went through a fertility doctor so you have proof that the baby didn't result from a heterosexual relationship.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I do agree, how you can hide that you have a kid. Especially in Canada, CRA, child benefits, school records and etc. There is no way to hide it.
About your claim, if it can be reevaluated, nobody knows about it really.
Missed the part that the baby was born in Canada. That is impossible to hide making your lawyer's recommendation even worse.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Be honest with immigration
Btw, where’d you find this lawyer ?
Standing outside a bus terminal holding a sign ?
They sound like bad news

Mom31

Star Member
Apr 26, 2019
Many LGBT people have kids too. some people get pregnant just to have kids in their life eventhough they prefer same sex partners. Your lawyer is misleading you. Consult a different lawyer and be positive. Hiding it will be more troublesome in future.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Many LGBT people have kids too. some people get pregnant just to have kids in their life eventhough they prefer same sex partners. Your lawyer is misleading you. Consult a different lawyer and be positive. Hiding it will be more troublesome in future.
I assume that OP declared that her life was at risk because she was a lesbian and could never live/marry a man. Of course LGBTQ+ people can have families. Very rarely do lesbian women or couples have sex with men to have their babies they go through some sort of insemination or IVF. If there is no record the OP went to a fertility doctor to arrange the insemination or at least have records of the purchase and delivery of sperm on the correct dates there could be concerns that OP has not been honest about her sexuality or relationship history. If the child is Canadian it would be impossible to hide the fact she had a child not to mention it is very clear that you are required to declare any changes in your family.

Mom31

Star Member
Apr 26, 2019
I assume that OP declared that her life was at risk because she was a lesbian and could never live/marry a man. Of course LGBTQ+ people can have families. Very rarely do lesbian women or couples have sex with men to have their babies they go through some sort of insemination or IVF. If there is no record the OP went to a fertility doctor to arrange the insemination or at least have records of the purchase and delivery of sperm on the correct dates there could be concerns that OP has not been honest about her sexuality or relationship history. If the child is Canadian it would be impossible to hide the fact she had a child not to mention it is very clear that you are required to declare any changes in your family.
Agree with your points