+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Rehabilitation Help - Urgent

msd123321

Jun 3, 2019
Good evening,

I think I have made a massive oversight on my part and I am desperately seeking help.

I have the following driving convictions from the UK and I am a British Citizen.

March 2007 - Driving a motor vehicle with excess alcohol - banned for 16 months and 387 pound fine
May 2007 - Driving whilst disqualified - 12 month community order, 200 hours community service and was banned for 2 years (including the 16 months from above), fined 70 pounds
August 2010 - Failing to provide a specimen for analysis - 36 month ban and fined 360 pounds.

All of the above was due to being in a very stressful relationship with my ex wife and a messy divorce. I got remarried in June 2010 and the last incident in August 2010 was the last time I got into trouble with the law.

I have turned my life around since then and now am a father to 3 beautiful daughters.

In the summer of 2017, I decided with my wife to move to Canada as a mature student and make a fresh start with my family. So when it came to the ETA criminal offense question, I ticked no due to being rehabilitated under the UK 1974 rehabilitation of offenders act. I stupidly assumed that as legal system is similar to the UK, I can state no to the ETA question.

So I arrived in August 2017, applied for a Study permit in October 2017, started studying in January 2018, and am just a couple of courses away from completing my study program. I am working with an employer who is happy to offer me a full time job after the completion of my course, and for the first time in my life, things are looking okay.

BUT.......I a few weeks ago I came to realize that I might have had to apply for rehabilitation first and then come to Canada. I have never been so worried about anything in my life. My eldest daughter is settled at school, life is much calmer in Canada and now I don't know what to do.

What are my options? It was 100% a genuine oversight from my part and I would have never moved from the UK without rehabilitation if I needed to complete it first. I have spent the majority of my savings on moving/studying and I am desperate to make sure that I don't cause any further issues for myself or come across as dishonest to the Canada Immigration.

Please can somebody help this very worried nearly 40 year old please?

Shall I just take my documents and go to the nearest border and explain the situation to a border patrol officer?

Am I better off applying for rehabilitation to the Canadian consulate?

Do I even need to apply for rehabilitation as the above offenses seems to be classed summary offenses or am I wrong in that aspect.

I have searched the forums but have not come across any results that I can relate to as I am in Canada already.

Many Thanks

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Talk to a lawyer. Do NOT go talk to a border patrol officer unless you want to be immediately deported and banned.

You committed misrepresentation when you ticked "No" on the ETA. Your intention does not matter; you cannot claim it was an honest mistake or anything like that.

Driving under the influence is classified as serious criminality in Canada and it is taken VERY seriously. You are very probably inadmissible. When you apply for a PR, you will need to provide criminal records from the UK, and that's when your prior misrepresentation will come to light.

You need professional advice. Talk to a lawyer.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
The question on the ETA form is not "have you ever commited an offence for which you have not received a rehabilitation," its "have you ever committed, been arrested for, charged with, or convicted of an offence."

You misrepresented. Talk to a lawyer. I'm sorry you have to go through this.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Talk to a very good immigration lawyer before you do anything else. You need professional advice.

msd123321

Jun 3, 2019
Okay...can anybody recommend a good immigration lawyer that I can speak to? I am in the lower mainland of British Columbia

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
This forum is hosted by a law firm but they're in eastern Canada. You could try to call the Canadian Bar Association lawyer referral service.

dshobbs87

Jul 28, 2019
Good evening,

I think I have made a massive oversight on my part and I am desperately seeking help.

I have the following driving convictions from the UK and I am a British Citizen.

March 2007 - Driving a motor vehicle with excess alcohol - banned for 16 months and 387 pound fine
May 2007 - Driving whilst disqualified - 12 month community order, 200 hours community service and was banned for 2 years (including the 16 months from above), fined 70 pounds
August 2010 - Failing to provide a specimen for analysis - 36 month ban and fined 360 pounds.

All of the above was due to being in a very stressful relationship with my ex wife and a messy divorce. I got remarried in June 2010 and the last incident in August 2010 was the last time I got into trouble with the law.

I have turned my life around since then and now am a father to 3 beautiful daughters.

In the summer of 2017, I decided with my wife to move to Canada as a mature student and make a fresh start with my family. So when it came to the ETA criminal offense question, I ticked no due to being rehabilitated under the UK 1974 rehabilitation of offenders act. I stupidly assumed that as legal system is similar to the UK, I can state no to the ETA question.

So I arrived in August 2017, applied for a Study permit in October 2017, started studying in January 2018, and am just a couple of courses away from completing my study program. I am working with an employer who is happy to offer me a full time job after the completion of my course, and for the first time in my life, things are looking okay.

BUT.......I a few weeks ago I came to realize that I might have had to apply for rehabilitation first and then come to Canada. I have never been so worried about anything in my life. My eldest daughter is settled at school, life is much calmer in Canada and now I don't know what to do.

What are my options? It was 100% a genuine oversight from my part and I would have never moved from the UK without rehabilitation if I needed to complete it first. I have spent the majority of my savings on moving/studying and I am desperate to make sure that I don't cause any further issues for myself or come across as dishonest to the Canada Immigration.

Shall I just take my documents and go to the nearest border and explain the situation to a border patrol officer?

Do I even need to apply for rehabilitation as the above offenses seems to be classed summary offenses or am I wrong in that aspect.

I have searched the forums but have not come across any results that I can relate to as I am in Canada already.

Many Thanks
Hi, do you have an update on how your situation played out? I’d be very grateful to hear some insight as to your experience.

Prasad001

Apr 4, 2019
Good evening,

Many Thanks
Dear sir,
You committed misrepresentation when you ticked "No" on the ETA and Study permit as well I believe. You already committed a two misrepresentations. If you inform cic before they find it, you may considered if you prove that you living a lawful and stable life with a job here in Canada and you have an option of humanitarian and compassion grounds as your kids are going to school in Canada.
My opinion is never make anymore errors in your future application, you must hire a lawyer to deal with immigration related application.