+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Passport from IRCC before asylum hearing

Rondo01

Aug 18, 2019
Hey guys i need help. I filed for asylum 5months ago but now i have a chance of getting a US green card but need my passport for interview at the US embassy. Pls how can i go about it

Thanks

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other
Hey guys i need help. I filed for asylum 5months ago but now i have a chance of getting a US green card but need my passport for interview at the US embassy. Pls how can i go about it

Thanks
Normally they do not give i back until you become PR,..

My Guess is you need to withdraw your claim and then they will give you a removal order ad you get your passport back.

This is just my opinion i have no idea if its true or not others wil def give you sme more or accurate info.

captains

Apr 19, 2017
Category........
the only way to get ur seized passport back is to withdraw the refugee claim which may take 2-4 weeks or apply for a new PP from your country of embassy in Canada which may trigger to revoke your refugee claim status if CIC comes to know about ur new passport.decision is urs !

Newlife15

Feb 6, 2019
I suggest you speak to a good lawyer.
You said you have chances of a green card..given the fact that united states and Canada exchange information so you will pop us as a refugee claimant even in the United States..would that effect you green card application? That is something a lawyer can guide you. But do not do anything to jeopardize your application on both ends.
For the passport you will need to withdraw a claim by showing a ticket out of country. They I.E ircc may give you the passport in hand or at the airport to the airline.
All the best.
Ps: I would still choose Canada over the United States.

Reactions: Yeanie729

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
If you are sure that you qualify for a US Green Card and your appointment at the embassy is very close, then I would suggest that you apply for a new passport ONLY and ONLY if you think you won't have any issues doing that at your home country's embassy/consulate. The reason I am suggesting that is because the process of getting your passport back while your claim is still ongoing might be a complicated and tedious process. Once you get your US immigrant visa and before leaving Canada, make sure you let CBSA and IRCC know that you are withdrawing your claim and heading to the US.

I believe that being a Refugee Claimant in Canada should not affect your immigrant visa application to the US as long as you don't lie on your application. The only way having claimed refugee in Canada could affect your visa is if it was a visitor visa, as then they'll be worried that you might claim refugee or overstay your visa.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Thanks
If you were on track to get a green card why file for asylum in Canada? At this point your asylum claim has cost 20K and maybe more

Reactions: Yeanie729

Rondo01

Aug 18, 2019
If you were on track to get a green card why file for asylum in Canada? At this point your asylum claim has cost 20K and maybe more
Man i played the US diversity lottery 4 months before i landed in Canada and the results came out 5 months after i was already in Canada how would i have known not to file for a refugee claim?? Or did u want me to remain prosecuted in my home country??

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Thanks
As others have said, you'll need to withdraw your refugee claim and leave Canada. Your passport will be returned to you as you are boarding the flight to leave Canada / when you land back in your home country.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Man i played the US diversity lottery 4 months before i landed in Canada and the results came out 5 months after i was already in Canada how would i have known not to file for a refugee claim?? Or did u want me to remain prosecuted in my home country??
You didn’t have to claim asylum. You could have visited somewhere for 5 months.

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other
Okay Bud, You got your answer.

Withdraw your claim From Canada get your passport, if CBSA Takes forever just go get a new passport from your home countries embassy.

Good Luck and i hope everything works out for the best fr yah.:)