+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need OHIP Health Card for Dependant Baby while PR application for Family Sponsorship in Process

zavid2006

Jul 22, 2020
Hi All,

Both Me & my spouse are PR holders. Our Kid was born ( US born) after we received our PR card. we moved from United states to Canada in the month of October 2021. Currently, we also submitted PR application under family Sponsorship for our Kid on 4th December 2021. Though the overall processing time is 18 months, it also states "the assessment of the sponsor: 23 days".

We need this initial email from IRCC, so as to obtain Health Card from Service Ontario.We are in dire need of Health card for the kid due to medical conditions(seizures) she has. Is there a way to follow up or any other suggestions?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I am not living in Ontario, so I am not sure if this covers any exception cases. Looks like there is no coverage for "dependent of PR that's applying for PR"
Hopefully, you have private health insurnace for your kid(s). They are visitors right now until they get their PR status.

https://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/ohipfaq_mn.aspx

Tourists, transients or visitors are not eligible for OHIP coverage.
Your ongoing eligibility for Ontario health insurance coverage is based solely on you having an OHIP-eligible citizenship or immigration statuses, and on you
:
making your primary place of residence in Ontario, and
meeting the requirement of being physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-month period.

The above is only a summary of the OHIP eligibility provisions of Regulation 552 for your reference. You should consult the actual regulation for the specific requirements applicable to you. The provisions in Regulation 552 prevail over this summary.

Everyone, including babies and children, must have their own health cards. Always carry your health card with you. You should be ready to show it every time you need medical services.

If you have questions about when your OHIP coverage will begin, please contact ServiceOntario INFOline at 1-866-532-3161 or visit your local ServiceOntario Centre.
But they are more "forgiving" for dependents of foreign worker.
Q. Am I eligible for Ontario Health Insurance?
You may be eligible for the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) if you are included under one of the following categories:
  • you are the spouse, same sex partner, or dependent child (under 22 years old or 22 years and over if dependent due to a mental or physical disability) of an OHIP-eligible foreign clergy member or OHIP-eligible foreign worker;

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,

Both Me & my spouse are PR holders. Our Kid was born ( US born) after we received our PR card. we moved from United states to Canada in the month of October 2021. Currently, we also submitted PR application under family Sponsorship for our Kid on 4th December 2021. Though the overall processing time is 18 months, it also states "the assessment of the sponsor: 23 days".

We need this initial email from IRCC, so as to obtain Health Card from Service Ontario.We are in dire need of Health card for the kid due to medical conditions(seizures) she has. Is there a way to follow up or any other suggestions?
In these situations, getting an OHIP card is normally not possible until after the child's application has been approved and the child is a PR.

Getting OHIP is possible with an inland spousal sponsorship application once the application has AIP. However AIP isn't issued for dependent child applications.

Right now it's taking several months for IRCC to acknowledge an application as received and there's no way to speed this up. Even once you have this and have sponsor approval, I think you will run into issues with having OHIP accept this.

I think you need to make other plans (i.e. pay for the medical care out of pocket or try to get private insurance). You should assume there's a very high probability your child will not have OHIP coverage until PR.

Good luck and I hope your child gets better soon.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Agree that your child does not qualify for coverage while they are applying for sponsorship. One of the issues parents need to consider if they wait to move to Canada and have a child in another country after they have received PR. Some employers who have recruited international workers do provide health insurance until you qualify for provincial coverage but those cases are very rare. Had you looked into temporary coverage when you were planning on moving to Canada? Assume your child wouldn’t qualify because it is a preexisting condition but it’s unclear how often these seizures are happening. You may need to pay out of pocket until your child gets AIP. At least wait times seem to be getting better. Wait times were up to 18 months at a certain point during covid.