Nomination.....
20-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-05-2015
Med's Request
Done already
Med's Done....
13-03-2015
You cannot apply for bridging open work permit unless there are 4 months left on your current work permit. If your work permit is expiring on 31st July-2014, then you would be eligible only after 31st March 2014.

leothelion123 said:
Hi Bhabes

When I will place the application for OWP I will have around 9 months left on my current Closed WP. Will I still receive a 1 year OWP?

The other things I wanted to know are:

What happens to my current valid (closed) work permit once the open WP is issued? I would like to continue with my current employer before I find any alternative - will there be any complication with the open WP?

Do I need to provide the LMO number to apply for the same? I can see that field in the application form. My current WP falls in the LMO exempt category.

Also my visa is expiring on 31st July 2014 - do I need to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa?

Thanks again for your help.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
leothelion123 said:
I am currently in Canada on a work permit (intra-company transfer) and planning to apply for PR under the CEC. While checking the CIC website I came to know that I am eligible for an open WP once I am approved in principle for permanent residence in Canada.

Can you please let me know how long it takes to receive an approval in principle once the PR application is placed and how soon or late is that compared to the entire PR process?
There is an operational bulletin that gives the details about eiligibility for the Bridging Open Work Permit - BOWP -
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob485.asp

It specifies that a positive eligibility decision (same thing as "approval in principal") has been made for CEC if "the “Eligibility CEC” decision has been set to “Passed” or the Acknowledgement of Receipt letter/e-mail has been sent from CIO."

So from the applicant's perspective, if you have received the AOR, you have received a positive eligibility decision. The AOR takes anywhere from 1-4 months... For more info about applying for the BOWP, there are many discussions on this forum...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
leothelion123 said:
Hi Scylla

I found out from some links that for CEC the approved in principle for permanent residence is same as AOR. Please refer the following link which mentions this:
CEC: the “Eligibility CEC” decision has been set to “Passed” or the Acknowledgement of Receipt letter/e-mail has been sent from CIO.
It's not the same for open work permit purposes. If you have AIP as a result of being sponsored by your spouse via the inland spousal sponsorship application process, then you qualify for an open work permit (OWP). If you have AOR as a result of applying for CEC, then you qualify for a BRIDGING open work permit (BOWP) provided there are four months or less left on your current work permit. You specifically do not qualify for a plain open work permit because you are not being sponsored by your spouse. You MAY qualify for a BOWP provided all of the required conditions are met.

Shaja

Star Member
Apr 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2013
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
File Transfer...
09-07-2013
Med's Request
02-10-2013
honeysingh said:
There are only two ways of getting open work permit.

1.when you graduate from a qualified college/ university programs that meets requirements

2. When you have already received AOR (Acknowledgement of receipt) after you apply for permanent residency and your work permit is going to expire in 4 months.. Then you can apply for Bridging open work permit(BOWP)..

Never heard of APPROVED IN PRINCIPLE....can you paste the link where you have read about it.
Hi,
Is AOR the same with PER (Positive Eligibility Review) from the Centralized Intake Office? I already got PER and have a job offer then I am currently an international student here in Canada. Can I answer "Yes" in the approval in principle question because if I answer Yes to that question I have the option to apply for open work permit. Hope you can help me please.

Shaja

Star Member
Apr 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2013
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
File Transfer...
09-07-2013
Med's Request
02-10-2013
jes_ON said:
There is an operational bulletin that gives the details about eiligibility for the Bridging Open Work Permit - BOWP -
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob485.asp

It specifies that a positive eligibility decision (same thing as "approval in principal") has been made for CEC if "the “Eligibility CEC” decision has been set to “Passed” or the Acknowledgement of Receipt letter/e-mail has been sent from CIO."

So from the applicant's perspective, if you have received the AOR, you have received a positive eligibility decision. The AOR takes anywhere from 1-4 months... For more info about applying for the BOWP, there are many discussions on this forum...
Hi,
Is this applicable also for FSW applicants who received positive eligibility decision from CIO? My case is a bit similar but the only difference is I am an international student with a job offer. I want to ask if I can apply for an open work permit also since I got the PER(positive eligibility review) from CIO already. Please advise if approval in principle is also applicable to me.

Thanks a lot!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Shaja said:
Is AOR the same with PER (Positive Eligibility Review) from the Centralized Intake Office? I already got PER and have a job offer then I am currently an international student here in Canada. Can I answer "Yes" in the approval in principle question because if I answer Yes to that question I have the option to apply for open work permit. Hope you can help me please.
The bridging open work permit is only for those who have a current work permit. If you are still an international student, you should look into applying for an off-campus work permit (of course you would still have to remain a full-time student).

If you have graduated from your program, then you may be eligible for a post-graduate work permit (which is also an open work permit).

Otherwise, the employer will probably have to apply for an LMO to hire you...

Rajkumar2411

Dec 14, 2017
Hi All

I am currently in Canada on a work permit (intra-company transfer) and planning to apply for PR under the CEC. While checking the CIC website I came to know that I am eligible for an open WP once I am approved in principle for permanent residence in Canada.

Can you please let me know how long it takes to receive an approval in principle once the PR application is placed and how soon or late is that compared to the entire PR process?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hello,

Have able to figure this out? I am not sure but i understand that you have to answer YES for this question while creating Open work permit and attach your AOR with Letter of Explanation.

hoseinihh

May 9, 2018
Hi,
I have received an ITA but have not submitted my application yet and so do not have an AOR. I am applying for a post-graduation work permit. Should I reply "No" to the following question in my PGWP application?

"Have you been told by an Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada office that you are approved in principle for permanent residence in Canada?"