+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need little help (Junior accountant, CPA student, BC PNP)

zhangquannick

Jan 25, 2014
Hi everyone. I have some question about BC PNP program. If anyone share the same situation with me. Plz let me know and help me out.

I am a junior account (that's my job title) in an accounting firm. I been working there for 1.5 years after my graduation.
So if I wanna apply for BC PNP program, which skill level should I use? Personally I think it should be Level A. Cuz I am about to become a CPA(Chartered Professional Accountant) student. My Core 1 course start this coming September. But the job duty for "Accountant" is really high and I just want to double check that before I apply.

Let me know! Thanks! ^_^

janey05

Jul 14, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Accountants perform some or all of the following duties:
  • Plan, set up and administer accounting systems and prepare financial information for individuals, departments within organizations, businesses and other establishments
  • Examine accounting records and prepare financial statements and reports
  • Develop and maintain cost finding, reporting and internal control procedures
  • Examine financial accounts and records and prepare income tax returns from accounting records
  • Analyze financial statements and reports and provide financial, business and tax advice
  • May act as a trustee in bankruptcy proceedings
  • May supervise and train articling students, other accountants or administrative technicians.

Employment requirements
  • Chartered accountants require a university degree
    and
    Completion of a professional training program approved by a provincial institute of chartered accountants and, depending on the province, either two years or 30 months of on-the-job training
    and
    Membership in a provincial Institute of Chartered Accountants upon successful completion of the Uniform Evaluation (UFE).
  • Certified general accountants and certified management accountants require a university degree
    and
    Completion of a training program approved by the Society of Certified General Accountants or Society of Management Accountants and several years of on-the-job training
    and
    Certification by the Certified General Accountants Association or the Society of Management Accountants.
  • Auditors require education, training and recognition as indicated for chartered accountants, certified general accountants or certified management accountants
    and
    Some experience as an accountant.
  • Auditors may require recognition by the Institute of Internal Auditors.
  • To act as a trustee in bankruptcy proceedings, auditors and accountants must hold a licence as a trustee in bankruptcy.
    Licensing by the provincial or territorial governing body is usually required for accountants and auditors practising public accounting.

Above is the job description of NOC 1111. It's up to you to decide whether the NOC above closely matches your job description.

One thing go keep in mind that an accounting designation (CA, CGA, CMA, CIA) is part of the requirements for the job. The NOC description has not been updated for the new merged CPA designation but per the current system, I was told that only CA students qualify under 1111, not CGA or CMA students. If you are at a CA firm (i.e. public practice, audit firms), I'd assume you'd still be able to use 1111 like the old CA students. However, if you are only starting PEP in September, you likely don't qualify as an articling student for the designation right now anyway.

From my understanding, under PNP, you can apply either under 1111 (A) or 1311 (B) so it won't matter which one you choose. Just go for whichever one you think is more applicable/ suitable :) Your NOC as an accountant would only matters if you are applying under CEC.

You can also try contacting noc-cnp[at]workingincanada.gc.ca for their guidance/recommendation also.

zhangquannick

Jan 25, 2014
Thanks a lot janey05! These are very useful information.

1) I am not sure if I should apply under NOC 1311 is it will not be accepted in the CEC anymore. I am afraid this will affect PNP program.
Work experience in the following National Occupation Classification (NOC) B occupations (listed with the corresponding NOC code) will not be accepted in the CEC:
Cooks (NOC 6322)
Food service supervisors (NOC 6311)
Administrative officers (NOC 1221)
Administrative assistants (NOC 1241)
Accounting technicians and bookkeepers (NOC 1311)
Retail sales supervisors (NOC 6211)

2) Our company is a CA firm. But right now CA,CGA,CMA all merged, I only can call myself a CPA student. That's why I am not sure about the this situation.
I am already registered into PEP program and paid for the fee. Right now just wait for core 1 course start. Oh btw, I just finish core 0.

3) Do you know how long it takes for the PNP program? I saw someone took more than 1 year to received their PNP, but someone only took 3 months. Really confuse about this...

Thanks so much for your time and hope you have a wonderful evening. ;D

janey05

Jul 14, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are planning on applying soon, there are no ineligible occupations at the federal level for PNP. That is why many opt for PNP over CEC. I wouldn't care too much over which you choose. I clearly fell under 1111 but it's sometimes not as clear for others. Do you do any audits? Auditors can only fall under 1111 :) If there are any changes at the federal level, it'd most likely apply on a prospective basis so it won't affect your application.

Also, I think checking the provincial immigration authority's posted time would be your best bet. Some people get theirs faster or slower but you won't know which until you get your nomination.

On a side note, did you know that you can apply both under PNP and CEC at the same time? At certain point you'll have to choose between the two (obviously you'll choose the faster one), but you don't have to second guess which would be better/faster. Only downside being the x2 application fees for filing two applications.

ridingwithyz

Star Member
Mar 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
15-11-2013 (Received by CIC)
Med's Request
07-01-2014
Med's Done....
10-01-2014
Passport Req..
03-July-2014
VISA ISSUED...
16-07-2014
LANDED..........
16-July-2014
bc pnp will adjust your job title according to your job description.
my title is accountant, but they adjust to accounting tech.
so no worries, as long as you don't lie, everything will be fine.
hope you employer helps you, and you can only apply bc pnp within 2 years your graduation date.

ridingwithyz

Star Member
Mar 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Med's Request
07-01-2014
Med's Done....
10-01-2014
Passport Req..
03-July-2014
VISA ISSUED...
16-07-2014
LANDED..........
16-July-2014
janey05 said:
Accountants perform some or all of the following duties:
  • Plan, set up and administer accounting systems and prepare financial information for individuals, departments within organizations, businesses and other establishments
  • Examine accounting records and prepare financial statements and reports
  • Develop and maintain cost finding, reporting and internal control procedures
  • Examine financial accounts and records and prepare income tax returns from accounting records
  • Analyze financial statements and reports and provide financial, business and tax advice
  • May act as a trustee in bankruptcy proceedings
  • May supervise and train articling students, other accountants or administrative technicians.

Employment requirements
  • Chartered accountants require a university degree
    and
    Completion of a professional training program approved by a provincial institute of chartered accountants and, depending on the province, either two years or 30 months of on-the-job training
    and
    Membership in a provincial Institute of Chartered Accountants upon successful completion of the Uniform Evaluation (UFE).
  • Certified general accountants and certified management accountants require a university degree
    and
    Completion of a training program approved by the Society of Certified General Accountants or Society of Management Accountants and several years of on-the-job training
    and
    Certification by the Certified General Accountants Association or the Society of Management Accountants.
  • Auditors require education, training and recognition as indicated for chartered accountants, certified general accountants or certified management accountants
    and
    Some experience as an accountant.
  • Auditors may require recognition by the Institute of Internal Auditors.
  • To act as a trustee in bankruptcy proceedings, auditors and accountants must hold a licence as a trustee in bankruptcy.
    Licensing by the provincial or territorial governing body is usually required for accountants and auditors practising public accounting.

Above is the job description of NOC 1111. It's up to you to decide whether the NOC above closely matches your job description.

One thing go keep in mind that an accounting designation (CA, CGA, CMA, CIA) is part of the requirements for the job. The NOC description has not been updated for the new merged CPA designation but per the current system, I was told that only CA students qualify under 1111, not CGA or CMA students. If you are at a CA firm (i.e. public practice, audit firms), I'd assume you'd still be able to use 1111 like the old CA students. However, if you are only starting PEP in September, you likely don't qualify as an articling student for the designation right now anyway.

From my understanding, under PNP, you can apply either under 1111 (A) or 1311 (B) so it won't matter which one you choose. Just go for whichever one you think is more applicable/ suitable :) Your NOC as an accountant would only matters if you are applying under CEC.

You can also try contacting noc-cnp[at]workingincanada.gc.ca for their guidance/recommendation also.

you are tight, cpa pep does not = ca student, so does not = code 1111.

janey05

Jul 14, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I personally think the OP should be okay with 1111. I work in public practice at a Big 4 firm and we consider our CPA students as equivalent of old CA students. Their job descriptions have not changed at all due to the merger. Also, I can't really see an accountant at a CA firm performing duties to be considered more similar to 1311.

@ridingwithyz, if you don't mind me asking, are you working in industry and do you have an accounting designation? I am surprised that BC PNP adjusted the NOC for you as 1311 has much lower qualification requirement (i.e. College degree).

zhangquannick

Jan 25, 2014
janey05 said:
If you are planning on applying soon, there are no ineligible occupations at the federal level for PNP. That is why many opt for PNP over CEC. I wouldn't care too much over which you choose. I clearly fell under 1111 but it's sometimes not as clear for others. Do you do any audits? Auditors can only fall under 1111 :) If there are any changes at the federal level, it'd most likely apply on a prospective basis so it won't affect your application.

Also, I think checking the provincial immigration authority's posted time would be your best bet. Some people get theirs faster or slower but you won't know which until you get your nomination.

On a side note, did you know that you can apply both under PNP and CEC at the same time? At certain point you'll have to choose between the two (obviously you'll choose the faster one), but you don't have to second guess which would be better/faster. Only downside being the x2 application fees for filing two applications.
Thanks a lot for your information and time. I think I will just apply and let BC PNP decide my job title. :p

zhangquannick

Jan 25, 2014
ridingwithyz said:
bc pnp will adjust your job title according to your job description.
my title is accountant, but they adjust to accounting tech.
so no worries, as long as you don't lie, everything will be fine.
hope you employer helps you, and you can only apply bc pnp within 2 years your graduation date.
Thanks ridingwithyz.
My employer said they will help me. But right now my manager have some trouble to fill out job offer form. Cuz it's different with the old version.
There are some "hard" question to be answered. Like Explain why the recruitment effort was unsuccessful in hiring a Canadian worker. So I am still waiting right now. :'(

ridingwithyz

Star Member
Mar 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Med's Request
07-01-2014
Med's Done....
10-01-2014
Passport Req..
03-July-2014
VISA ISSUED...
16-07-2014
LANDED..........
16-July-2014
zhangquannick said:
Thanks ridingwithyz.
My employer said they will help me. But right now my manager have some trouble to fill out job offer form. Cuz it's different with the old version.
There are some "hard" question to be answered. Like Explain why the recruitment effort was unsuccessful in hiring a Canadian worker. So I am still waiting right now. :'(
good luck then, I just got mine done last year for pnp

zhangquannick

Jan 25, 2014
Thanks man.

I have one more question actually.

If my employment status change next year before I receive my pr card. What will happen? Do I have to reapply pnp?

And what's different between PNP and CEC for this situation?

zhangquannick

Jan 25, 2014
New question here!

My issue is I am not sure how long this job will stay. If my job changes, is this will affect my PNP application. Do I have to start over and apply again?

harsimranb

Nov 25, 2020
Hi everyone. I have some question about BC PNP program. If anyone share the same situation with me. Plz let me know and help me out.

I am a junior account (that's my job title) in an accounting firm. I been working there for 1.5 years after my graduation.
So if I wanna apply for BC PNP program, which skill level should I use? Personally I think it should be Level A. Cuz I am about to become a CPA(Chartered Professional Accountant) student. My Core 1 course start this coming September. But the job duty for "Accountant" is really high and I just want to double check that before I apply.

Let me know! Thanks! ^_^
Hi, Still hopong that someone will reply as this is very old post. i m in same situation. I have bachelors from india and currenty articling in industry and passed core 2 and want to apply bcpnp. Could you please tell if your application was approved using NOC 1111 or u used 1311?