+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Important Advice!

Vaayu Sharma

Jul 17, 2020
Hello Everyone,

Hope you guys are healthy and safe! :)

My EE was approved and I received a mail from DCohen stating to take matters further. The thing is that I had not anticipated this so quickly and had just filled up the online registration to get "a feel of things". I have a situation with which I need urgent advice, so I urge you to please put your "two cents in" and help me if you can.

I'm 35, I've a MA in English, a B.ed and a TESOL certificate to teach anywhere in the world. All of my education was acquired in India. I've proof of funds and can immigrate to the great north carrying CAN$ 13k-15k. My IELTS band score is 7.5.

The Conundrum:
I've been working off and on in the education and publishing sector. My first job was of a school teacher where I didn't get salary slips. My second job as an editor was in a publishing firm (I didn't get an appointment & relieving letter or salary slips, this is a common practice by low and mid sized publishing companies in Delhi and this was a family owned "lala" company; an Indian Hindi reader would understand what it means)
After that I've been working off and on with 2 to 3 companies and also have been working as a freelance editor/content writer. In total I've six years of experience, but the experience is not consistent. I've left jobs without even taking relieving letters and joined new ones. To be honest I was not serious about my career and never bothered myself with formalities at that time. Which goes without saying I regret now! :(:oops:
Now, I'm perplexed about showing my experience as I know none of the companies that I worked for will give me any paper work, as it has been time and I left without any notices or anything.
As you can understand I wouldn't like to show the immaturity and instability that I once had towards my career in my resume or application.
For the past year I've been working as an English trainer/tuition teacher and I also have a small business on the side. In both scenarios I get paid in cash. I work hard and that is how I was able to save the amount stated above. And I'm very serious about my future prospects and career now.

I discussed the matter with some friends and one said that maybe you can just state that you have been working as a freelance tuition teacher.
Another one has a small school (i.e., he is the owner) and he said that he can provide with whatever documents required to prove my employment in his school for any period of time that may be required. But, I'm not comfortable about lying in my application.

I humbly ask the community what is it that I shall I do. I'd like to create a good impression on my (hopefully) future country of residence and employers.

Sorry because this was very long perhaps, but I thank you for reading.

P.S. (not required, but you can read further if you want)
I intend to do a CELTA there in Canada and get a job as an ESL teacher (I've always wanted to be one), which according to my search on various Canadian websites are plenty. Just last year a friend of mine moved to Montreal in November, completed her one month CELTA and got a job as a teacher this year in March. Also, the small business that I have can be operated remotely from any location so it will be fetching me money too.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
My EE was approved and I received a mail from DCohen stating to take matters further. The thing is that I had not anticipated this so quickly and had just filled up the online registration to get "a feel of things". I have a situation with which I need urgent advice, so I urge you to please put your "two cents in" and help me if you can.
It sounds like you filled out an informal questionnaire on the Campbell Cohen website and got a standard marketing email in response telling you that you may be eligible for Express Entry. This does not mean you are suddenly approved for anything. If you actually want to come to Canada, the only website you need to use is cic.gc.ca.

vellocet

Jun 9, 2019
You are 35 and the CRS draw score is extremely competitive now so truthfully it will be difficult for you to get enough CRS points. You didn't get "approved" for PR, you got an email from a recruitment company trying to make some money. Google "CRS calculator" and enter your details to see what your score is.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello Everyone,

Hope you guys are healthy and safe! :)

I'm 35, I've a MA in English, a B.ed and a TESOL certificate to teach anywhere in the world. All of my education was acquired in India. I've proof of funds and can immigrate to the great north carrying CAN$ 13k-15k. My IELTS band score is 7.5.

The Conundrum:
I've been working off and on in the education and publishing sector. My first job was of a school teacher where I didn't get salary slips. My second job as an editor was in a publishing firm (I didn't get an appointment & relieving letter or salary slips, this is a common practice by low and mid sized publishing companies in Delhi and this was a family owned "lala" company; an Indian Hindi reader would understand what it means)
After that I've been working off and on with 2 to 3 companies and also have been working as a freelance editor/content writer. In total I've six years of experience, but the experience is not consistent. I've left jobs without even taking relieving letters and joined new ones. To be honest I was not serious about my career and never bothered myself with formalities at that time. Which goes without saying I regret now! :(:oops:
Now, I'm perplexed about showing my experience as I know none of the companies that I worked for will give me any paper work, as it has been time and I left without any notices or anything.
As you can understand I wouldn't like to show the immaturity and instability that I once had towards my career in my resume or application.
For the past year I've been working as an English trainer/tuition teacher and I also have a small business on the side. In both scenarios I get paid in cash. I work hard and that is how I was able to save the amount stated above. And I'm very serious about my future prospects and career now.

I discussed the matter with some friends and one said that maybe you can just state that you have been working as a freelance tuition teacher.
Another one has a small school (i.e., he is the owner) and he said that he can provide with whatever documents required to prove my employment in his school for any period of time that may be required. But, I'm not comfortable about lying in my application.

I humbly ask the community what is it that I shall I do. I'd like to create a good impression on my (hopefully) future country of residence and employers.

Sorry because this was very long perhaps, but I thank you for reading.

P.S. (not required, but you can read further if you want)
I intend to do a CELTA there in Canada and get a job as an ESL teacher (I've always wanted to be one), which according to my search on various Canadian websites are plenty. Just last year a friend of mine moved to Montreal in November, completed her one month CELTA and got a job as a teacher this year in March. Also, the small business that I have can be operated remotely from any location so it will be fetching me money too.
You haven't been approved for PR. As others have said, all you've done is filled in an online questionnaire belonging to an immigration consultant. Actually applying for PR is far more involved than this and takes a significantly longer period of time.

Given your age, you may want to calculate your CRS points to determine your chances of actually being selected. You would want to score 470+ to have a strong chance (although a lower score may still get you there).

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

You should also be aware that in order to meet the minimum requirements of the Express Entry program you must show that you have at least one year of full time and continuous (i.e. without breaks) work experience in a skilled profession.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vaayu Sharma

Vaayu Sharma

Jul 17, 2020
You haven't been approved for PR. As others have said, all you've done is filled in an online questionnaire belonging to an immigration consultant. Actually applying for PR is far more involved than this and takes a significantly longer period of time.

Given your age, you may want to calculate your CRS points to determine your chances of actually being selected. You would want to score 470+ to have a strong chance (although a lower score may still get you there).

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

You should also be aware that in order to meet the minimum requirements of the Express Entry program you must show that you have at least one year of full time and continuous (i.e. without breaks) work experience in a skilled profession.
Thank you so much for taking the time and replying everyone.

Oh Snap! I was so high and now I'm so low, but I do feel stupid! Lol!
I really thought by some chance of luck I got something. Since I was on the site, I thought DCohen was some official character from the govt. I get it now, but anyways.

My CRS score is 372. :(
Since you have read through my situation, would you be kind enough to tell me by what ways can I improve the score and make a possible entry? I doubt I'll get a provincial nomination. Is there something that you could suggest that might help me?

Also, if I decide to complete a CELTA course there, then would the school help me to get a study permit for at least the duration of the course? I can network and go for interviews during the time I'm there.
Which way can I come there and take the course and get some time for interviews then I can come back if I get an offer. Which Visa would I've to apply for that? I've seen that some people get a PR and citizenship with low scores and at even 40+ even. Of course everyone's case is different.

What should I do? :confused:

Vaayu Sharma

Jul 17, 2020
It sounds like you filled out an informal questionnaire on the Campbell Cohen website and got a standard marketing email in response telling you that you may be eligible for Express Entry. This does not mean you are suddenly approved for anything. If you actually want to come to Canada, the only website you need to use is cic.gc.ca.
Thank you for your reply. That "This does not mean you are suddenly approved for anything." line really hit me! lol!
You are right, I should have known better, but I just got so excited and everything.

Again thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you so much for taking the time and replying everyone.

Oh Snap! I was so high and now I'm so low, but I do feel stupid! Lol!
I really thought by some chance of luck I got something. Since I was on the site, I thought DCohen was some official character from the govt. I get it now, but anyways.

My CRS score is 372. :(
Since you have read through my situation, would you be kind enough to tell me by what ways can I improve the score and make a possible entry? I doubt I'll get a provincial nomination. Is there something that you could suggest that might help me?

Also, if I decide to complete a CELTA course there, then would the school help me to get a study permit for at least the duration of the course? I can network and go for interviews during the time I'm there.
Which way can I come there and take the course and get some time for interviews then I can come back if I get an offer. Which Visa would I've to apply for that? I've seen that some people get a PR and citizenship with low scores and at even 40+ even. Of course everyone's case is different.

What should I do? :confused:
You can certainly try for a provincial nomination. You'll need to research the various programs to see what it takes to be selected.

You have to apply for apply for a study permit on your own once you have been accepted into a program in Canada. No school is going to do this for you. A CELTA course is too short to qualify for a study permit. Your planned studies need to be full time and more than six months long in order for you to qualify for a study permit. If you want to study CELTA in Canada, you would do that on a TRV. However the CELTA course won't get you any additional points for Express Entry - also you won't be able to work while studying in Canada or qualify for a work permit once you finish the program.

You should assume it won't be possible to get a job offer as a teacher. Focus on other ways to increase your score or to secure a provincial nomination.

Reactions: Vaayu Sharma

Vaayu Sharma

Jul 17, 2020
You can certainly try for a provincial nomination. You'll need to research the various programs to see what it takes to be selected.

You have to apply for apply for a study permit on your own once you have been accepted into a program in Canada. No school is going to do this for you. A CELTA course is too short to qualify for a study permit. Your planned studies need to be full time and more than six months long in order for you to qualify for a study permit. If you want to study CELTA in Canada, you would do that on a TRV. However the CELTA course won't get you any additional points for Express Entry - also you won't be able to work while studying in Canada or qualify for a work permit once you finish the program.

You should assume it won't be possible to get a job offer as a teacher. Focus on other ways to increase your score or to secure a provincial nomination.
Thank you. I will look more into it.