+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Immediate help!! Can my uncle who has a PR (in Canada) sponsor me???

Abl

Mar 4, 2014
This is my situation, I'll try to explain in brief.
I'm an international student(age 21, single) doing my part time studies in Canada. I have been here for almost like 2.5 years by now. I don't think I'll graduate any soon due to various reasons.

I'm trying to get Permanent Residency(PR) here by any possible means as I'm well merged to the society here and I love this country and people. I thought 'family sponsorship' category would be my best bet for me as I have my uncle(my father's brother) living here since padt 5 yrs and he have the PR.
My uncle has no relative(except me) in Canada, he's not married nor have child or relationships. He would like to sponsor me and pay for my tuition. We both got relatives back in our birth country(India). My uncle got his mother, and siblings etc.. back there(India) and I got both my parents, sister etc.. back there as well.

Please note: My uncle is only panning to sponsor ONLY me, neither his mother or relatives nor they like to live in Canada.
My uncle lives in Alberta, I live in Ontario at the moment.
Please let me know all possible (best) ways I could get PR here, I don't want to do a blind fold try. I want to make sure I'll get it if I apply. Various agents are telling me different stories, and very much contradictory information including CIC call centre reps. even they are not explicit or to the point.

I'm I and my uncle even eligible to forward an application? What are my chances if we do? How long it's gonna take from sending application to me getting PR approval? Is it a good idea to have a VISA consulting agency do my processing? I would be very much relieved and glad if you have ever been to a similar situation as mine and willing to talk about that but any input is extremely valid and appreciated.

Thank you. ;D :D :D
[/font][/color]

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Abl said:
My uncle got his mother, and siblings etc.. back there(India) and I got both my parents, sister etc.. back there as well.
No, he can't, for the reasons that I highlighted above... Given that you don't expect to graduate, I can't think of any way for you to qualify to become a PR at the current time.

diyabrar

Nov 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-02-2012
File Transfer...
16-05-2012
Med's Request
23-11-2013
Interview........
Waived- Ecas-In process (Nov-18th, 2013)
Passport Req..
23-11-2013 (Mailed over-9-12-2013)
VISA ISSUED...
DM on ecas 01-01-2014
NO. He cannot because your not a member of family class catagory. When he applied for his PR, there is form
which he filled out with the name
of his family member. He can only sponsor those
people!

hubby chubby

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2012
MonTreaL CiTy
Category........
Visa Office......
Cpp-O/ISB/LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2012
Doc's Request.
Aug 2013/Nov 2013
AOR Received.
May 2012
File Transfer...
June 2013
Med's Request
Aug 2013
Med's Done....
Aug 2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
ppr-1 & 2 june 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 2014
LANDED..........
July 2014

Abl

Mar 4, 2014
Thank you for your replies. :)

@ hubby chubby
@ diyabrar
@ zardoz

At first look I too thought it can't be done. But if you may, please look at the following link :- www cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/relatives-apply-who.asp#who_can [this forum is not allowing me to add link, so please add a DOT between "www" and the "rest of the URL" and paste it in your browzer to make the above link work]

Then, Under the main section "Who can be sponsored" please check the 2nd bullet point(specific condition). Also read the "Note" given below that. Doesn't that contradict what you guys just said? or isn't that a possibility in my case that makes me and my uncle qualified to proceed in this category?? If still you don't think so, why not??

Thanks.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Abl said:
Then, Under the main section "Who can be sponsored" please check the 2nd bullet point(specific condition). Also read the "Note" given below that. Doesn't that contradict what you guys just said? or isn't that a possibility in my case that makes me and my uncle qualified to proceed in this category?? If still you don't think so, why not??
No, since there is a parents class of family sponsorship, and his parents are still alive, he would need to sponsor them.

Only if that option didn't exist (so if parents were no longer alive), could he then sponsor you under that rule. But since the option does exist, that make him ineligible to sponsor you. The parents choice of not wanting to come to Canada, is not relevant to CIC.

Abl

Mar 4, 2014
Sponsoring spouse/common law partner/children and Sponsoring parents or grandparents are two other whole different sections(you can see that at the right side of that page I linked in previous post. ) Likewise sponsoring "other relatives" is also a new section. Why you say that it's on a priority basis?? I mean...

I do agree that my uncle have most closest relation with his parents than me BUT Can you please say, where does CIC explicitly mention that sponsorship can be done to the relatives only in the order of/based on "closeness" of relation? If so please give me that link.. or please show me that if you'll.

[[eg. did CIC say "one can sponsor his relatives only in the following order also he/she cannot sponsor a later relative if a former relative is alive according to the following order :- spouse, children, parents, siblings, gradparents, nephew etc..]]

steerpike

Nov 1, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2012
LANDED..........
03-04-2014
It says so right here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/family.asp
Use this application if you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident living in Canada, and you want to sponsor close family members living abroad, including:

•children adopted outside of Canada or who will be adopted in Canada, or
•brother, sisters, nephew, niece or grandchild who are orphaned, under 18 and not married or in a common-law relationship.
Are you adopted or orphaned AND under 18? Nope.

If you are related to the person you want to sponsor in another way, you could still sponsor him or her if you do not have one of the following living relatives you could sponsor as a member of the Family Class:

•spouse,
•common-law or conjugal partner,
•son or daughter,
•parent,
•brother or sister,
•grandparent,
•uncle or aunt, or
•niece or nephew.
Since he DOES have his parents, then that way is ruled out too.

Everyone has told you the same thing. He can not sponsor you.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Spouses, children, parents, grandparents, and any dependents of these, are all defined under "regular" members of the family class that you can sponsor in practically all conditions.

Nieces, nephews, brothers, sisters, etc are not automatically members of the family class. They are only members under certain strict conditions, such as being orphaned and under a certain age, OR if the sponsor has nobody to sponsor via the "regular" sponsorship route for family members.

So yes, parents/grandparents take precedent over a non-orphaned nephew. Only once the sponsor's parents are no longer alive, could the nephew then be sponsored if the sponsor still has no spouse/children in Canada at that time.

The wording on CIC site is indeed very confusing. But hundreds of others have asked this same question, and the results are always the same.

Abl

Mar 4, 2014
That was a very neat answer with quotes. Thanks a lot to Steerpike and RobTo also everyone who cared to reply to my questions. You all where very helpful. I never thought I could get to a point where I get satisfied with posting a question in a forum. THis is my first forum experience, and you guys made it amazing. There will be someone to help you guys on your way up.

Now I have to look some other ways, like skilled worker class, or canadian experience class etc... for my PR (which i honestly think is quite hard to get through as I'm just a engineering student here). I have no clue how am I going to get a job in NOC 0, A or B category without any prior job experience(I worked in walmart for 2 months,now I've been working in Wendys for almost 4 months as part time) if you guys know some job which are easy to find that falls under this NOC categories, I would be interested to know that(they took off easy jobs frm these NOC categories like the food service supervisors, administrative assistants etc.. which is unfortunate. *sigh*.. hopefully God helps me somehow.

Thanks again to all!! and best wishes!!. ;D ;D :) :D

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Rob_TO said:
The wording on CIC site is indeed very confusing. But hundreds of others have asked this same question, and the results are always the same.
yeah they really really need to simplify the wording. Every month there are always a few confused posts on this topic. It is hard enough as it is for people whose first language is English. I can imagine how much more confusing if it is not.

Abl

Mar 4, 2014
Guys.... Please give me your inputs for my new POST.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/needs-to-find-best-possible-way-to-be-eligible-to-apply-for-pr-before-graduation-t188422.0.html

M

mikeymyke

Work as a skilled tradesman, they are in very high demand, and have no problems getting LMOs.