+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need helping deciding which application route to take

jules4730

Apr 28, 2019
Background information...

I'm Canadian and my boyfriend is Australian. He lived here for 2 years until his IEC Visa ran it's course. He left Canada on Christmas Day (yay cheap flights lol) and has been back in Aus since then. He's 31. (I'm 28 if that matters)

A few questions, this all feels very overwhelming to try and figure out so hoping some have been in a similar situation.

1) How long until he is allowed to re-enter Canada?

2) We've discussed a few options for next step. Sponsorship from an employer here is his first choice. From what I'm understanding, that means he would have to do the Express Entry process and then an employer would send a letter with intent to sponsor? I'm a bit fuzzy on those details.

3) other option is Common Law Outland Sponsorship (as far as what I've researched?). We lived together for nearly a year when he was here, so I'm not sure we would technically adhere to those guidelines..

4) Is there a different option that I haven't found yet that would be easier?

We're looking for simple/cheapest option. (Lol, if that even exists)

Thanks in advance!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
1. He's visa exempt, he could try to re-enter at any time.

2. Theoretically, but you'll find it hard to find an employer to go through the LMIA process - though somehow nearly all of BC's ski industry is Australian, so maybe.

3. No, you're not eligible unless you can prove a year's worth of cohabitation.

4. Get married.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Background information...

I'm Canadian and my boyfriend is Australian. He lived here for 2 years until his IEC Visa ran it's course. He left Canada on Christmas Day (yay cheap flights lol) and has been back in Aus since then. He's 31. (I'm 28 if that matters)

A few questions, this all feels very overwhelming to try and figure out so hoping some have been in a similar situation.

1) How long until he is allowed to re-enter Canada?

2) We've discussed a few options for next step. Sponsorship from an employer here is his first choice. From what I'm understanding, that means he would have to do the Express Entry process and then an employer would send a letter with intent to sponsor? I'm a bit fuzzy on those details.

3) other option is Common Law Outland Sponsorship (as far as what I've researched?). We lived together for nearly a year when he was here, so I'm not sure we would technically adhere to those guidelines..

4) Is there a different option that I haven't found yet that would be easier?

We're looking for simple/cheapest option. (Lol, if that even exists)

Thanks in advance!
Getting married and applying for spousal sponsorship is pretty much the best/easiest option at this point. If you had one year of cohabitation, you could have applied for sponsorship now. He could also come to Canada as a visitor and extend his stay so that you could get one year of cohabitation to apply as common-law. However, he wouldn't be able to work for at least a year.