+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help!

panda58

Jan 13, 2011
Oregon
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm a Canadian citizen, but a permanent resident of the United States. I got my permanent residency in the US by marrying my US-born husband. We are starting a family and it is our plan to move back to Canada and stay there to raise our children. Since I am pregnant and not working as much, I do not meet the income cut off to complete the Family Class Sponsorship. I plan to stay home (wherever that may be) and take care of our child for the majority of the time, making me unable to satisfy the income requirements of the Family Class Sponsorship at any point. My husband has always been the sole provider of the family and I'm heartbroken that because of this, we can't move to Canada.

Is there something I'm missing? Any other way we can apply for him to be a Canadian Permanent Resident? He doesn't qualify for sponsorship through employment. I can provide additional info if needed. Thanks!!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are missing the fact that spousal sponsorships in Canada are not subject to an income cut off. You still have to list your income but explain that your husband is the provider and so he will be the one working when you get to Canada.

panda58

Jan 13, 2011
Oregon
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't recall that being specified on the application, but I do remember something being mentioned about a minimum income requirement, although I could have misunderstood it.

So I now understand that it's not automatic refusal but is there a good chance that the application will still be accepted if everything else checks out? Would my husband have to show that he had a job lined up before we applied? We can show that I have intent to move as soon as he is accepted but he might have problems finding a job when his residency isn't secure (while the application is processing). Any other info you could give me would be much appreciated!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you would have to show that you intend to move to Canada when your husband gets his PR. In order to do that, you should at the very least write up your plans for where to live and what kind of job he would be looking for. It would also be helpful to have letters from relatives or friends who know about your plans and can offer you a place to stay while you look for housing. Better would be to have a job offer already or have arranged housing already but like you said, it may not be easy to get a job offer for several months in the future and also doesn't make much sense to rent an apartment now when you don't know when you are moving.

If you are still in the US when your baby is born, you need to apply for a certificate of citizenship, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp

sidkrose

Apr 25, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2011
AOR Received.
24-10-2011
Med's Done....
08-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2011
LANDED..........
10-12-2011
Read page 8 and the top of page 9 of "The Sponsor's Guide" carefully and you will see that spousal sponsorship is exempt from the income requirement.