+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NEED HELP

diana6703

Sep 19, 2013
My fiancé and I want to get married, I am an American and he's a Canadian Citizen. We are in a legitimate relationship and have been together for over a year. He plans on sponsoring me as his spouse once we do. We have been working on the paperwork together while I have been on a visitor visa. I have to go back to America in June (due to my restrictions). I know it takes a long time for the sponsorship paperwork to be processed.

Will I have any troubles coming back into Canada to be with my husband?
What paperwork or proof might I need? (other than marriage certificate)
Will I be able to stay longer because we are married?
Once he get to sponsor me as his wife do I get a P.R card?

Any information would help a lot! Thank you for your time!

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
1. Now that you have stronger ties to Canada, you should always carry with you proof that you retain ties to the US, and proof that you fully intend to comply with the requirements for remaining in Canada permanently (a copy of the receipt for the payment of your application fees, a copy of his approval to be a sponsor, or anything similar is good).

2. See above.

3. No. You remain a visitor until you become a PR, and must abide by whatever rules apply to visitors. You can apply for an extension on the usual 6 months visitors are given on entry, and it is usually looked on favourably, but you are not exempt from needing to apply for that extension because you are married.

4. You get a PR card when you are approved to be a PR, not when he is approved to be your sponsor. The application is assessed in two phases: the quick one where he is determined to be eligible to sponsor you, and the longer one where you are determined to be eligible to become a PR.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
diana6703 said:
I have to go back to America in June (due to my restrictions). I know it takes a long time for the sponsorship paperwork to be processed.
When you say you need to leave due to restrictions, are you referring to your visitor status expiring? If so, you can actually extend your status and remain in Canada throughout the PR processing.