+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help with updating inland application

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
Hi,

My wife is canadian and we applied for her to sponsor me last spring. It's an inland application. We finally heard back from CIC and she has been approved to sponsor me.
In the email we got from CIC it says to update them if any changes has occurred. Well, we have moved, so we need to update them on that. However, we can't update them about me moving since they haven't contacted me yet, we can only update that she has moved. When we are trying to do this update online, which CIC says we are supposed to, we are using her name, her client number etc. The form to fill out asks if there are other persons listed in her (my wife, the sponsor) application that are changing their address as well. So, should we put in my information and inform them that I have moved as well, or or this something else? The reason it's confusing is because its only addressed to her, and they said they will contact me later, which makes me think that technically I am not a part of her application (and therefore we shouldn't update them about me moving in this form) but instead its considered I have a stand alone application, which the second stage is? Wanna make sure we fill it out correct so theres no delay.

Two more questions.

I have to update my passport, it does expire in a few months. Do i just get a new passport and send in a copy to CIC of the new one and thats it? As long as I do all this before current expires, no problem?

Also, my wife will be doing a legal name change to take my name. When she does this she will get a new birth certificate. Meaning that the birth certificate we used when she applied won't be valid anymore, so i guess we will have to update CIC with her new birth certificate as well? If so, will that be fine? No issues?

Thanks so much

Edit. I will apply for work permit now as well. Can I do that with my current passport, or should I wait until I get a new one?

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
let me answer some of your queries

1. you need to update your address through e-cas. you need to log in to both the sponsor and applicant e-cas and update the address in both.
2. you need to get a new passport and then send a photocopy of it to mississauga.
3. you mentioned about your wife changing names. will she be getting a new passport, driver's license and other things now? you will have to send photocopies of the new documents along with the name change certificate (if you are doing officially) or a letter of explanation. think of all documents that you sent originally that are now being replaced with her new name. you need to send photocopies of all of them along with your passport to mississauga. mention the application number and both your client ids in the cover letter.
4. you need to get a new passport before you apply for work permit. make sure you still have valid status, otherwise you won't get work permit.

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
chakrab said:
let me answer some of your queries

1. you need to update your address through e-cas. you need to log in to both the sponsor and applicant e-cas and update the address in both.
2. you need to get a new passport and then send a photocopy of it to mississauga.
3. you mentioned about your wife changing names. will she be getting a new passport, driver's license and other things now? you will have to send photocopies of the new documents along with the name change certificate (if you are doing officially) or a letter of explanation. think of all documents that you sent originally that are now being replaced with her new name. you need to send photocopies of all of them along with your passport to mississauga. mention the application number and both your client ids in the cover letter.
4. you need to get a new passport before you apply for work permit. make sure you still have valid status, otherwise you won't get work permit.
Thank you for your reply.

I have been told before that i don't need a valid status to get a work permit in this case. I was told it only had to be valid when using the new pilot program? I was told that was the first stage is done and my wife has been approved, I can successfully apply for a work permit.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SamHom said:
Thank you for your reply.

I have been told before that i don't need a valid status to get a work permit in this case. I was told it only had to be valid when using the new pilot program? I was told that was the first stage is done and my wife has been approved, I can successfully apply for a work permit.
you are not in stage 2 yet. you are yet to receive a document from CIC saying you are now eligible in principle. on a side note, i would advise for your wife to not change documents yet. rather wait couple more months till the process is complete. she can change the documents then. i don't think your process will take more than 6 months till end. however, do renew your passport.

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
chakrab said:
you are not in stage 2 yet. you are yet to receive a document from CIC saying you are now eligible in principle. on a side note, i would advise for your wife to not change documents yet. rather wait couple more months till the process is complete. she can change the documents then. i don't think your process will take more than 6 months till end. however, do renew your passport.
Oh okay. So lets make sure I get this straight. The email says my wife has been approved. They also say they will contact me shortly. When they contact me, thats the AIP? Once they contact me, thats when stage 2 officially starts, and I can apply for a work permit? I should get AIP within few weeks?

My wife to have my name legally. But of course we could wait. The reason for not waiting is because we assumed it would look even better in our application, if she did a legal name change rather than just assuming, no?

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
first part - correct. you will get an email saying you are eligible as an applicant. then they process your medicals and police certificates and may ask for new medicals if it has expired.

second part - no, changing of name has no benefit. my wife kept the same name during the whole process. her part is actually done, so it doesn't really matter at this point.

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
chakrab said:
first part - correct. you will get an email saying you are eligible as an applicant. then they process your medicals and police certificates and may ask for new medicals if it has expired.

second part - no, changing of name has no benefit. my wife kept the same name during the whole process. her part is actually done, so it doesn't really matter at this point.
Just because it worked out for you, does that necessarily mean it has no benefit? I understand that applications are being accepted every day even if people don't legally change to their spouses last name...but isn't it still certainly something that would look better, add to the case of a genuine relationship?

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SamHom said:
Just because it worked out for you, does that necessarily mean it has no benefit? I understand that applications are being accepted every day even if people don't legally change to their spouses last name...but isn't it still certainly something that would look better, add to the case of a genuine relationship?
you spouse has already been approved as a sponsor. you can send the documents. it would mean they have to update their systems with the new names and re-enter all data. you will have to submit application forms with the new names. not just submit additional documents.

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
chakrab said:
you spouse has already been approved as a sponsor. you can send the documents. it would mean they have to update their systems with the new names and re-enter all data. you will have to submit application forms with the new names. not just submit additional documents.
Really? I cant believe that our lawyer is so dumb. It's unbelievable. Thats why I go online, they're never right about anything despite being praised.

When we sent application, we cic that we would update with pictures from honey moon later (we hadn't gone on our honey moon yet when we sent application). So we thought we will send in some additional pictures, reciepts etc from honey moon and also other evens such as birth days, vacations etc during this time. I assume doing this is a good idea, or is our lawyer wrong here too?

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SamHom said:
Really? I cant believe that our lawyer is so dumb. It's unbelievable. Thats why I go online, they're never right about anything despite being praised.

When we sent application, we cic that we would update with pictures from honey moon later (we hadn't gone on our honey moon yet when we sent application). So we thought we will send in some additional pictures, reciepts etc from honey moon and also other evens such as birth days, vacations etc during this time. I assume doing this is a good idea, or is our lawyer wrong here too?
no that can helpful. anything additional like that will help. if i were you, i would think about the medical report. you can do another medical if it's not too much problem financially. that can help you speed the process.

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
chakrab said:
no that can helpful. anything additional like that will help. if i were you, i would think about the medical report. you can do another medical if it's not too much problem financially. that can help you speed the process.
So, instead of waiting for CIC to request another medical since the one I did in Feb 2014 has expired, I could do now one and send in, and by the time they look for my medical, they would have the new one there, instead of sending out a letter requesting it?

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SamHom said:
So, instead of waiting for CIC to request another medical since the one I did in Feb 2014 has expired, I could do now one and send in, and by the time they look for my medical, they would have the new one there, instead of sending out a letter requesting it?
exactly. it will reduce the delay in case CIC requires one. you will save at least 2-3 months in that case.

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
chakrab said:
exactly. it will reduce the delay in case CIC requires one. you will save at least 2-3 months in that case.
Thanks. I will definitely do that then. How common is it that people have to go to an interview?

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SamHom said:
Thanks. I will definitely do that then. How common is it that people have to go to an interview?
that's the only way inland applicants get the CoPR.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SamHom said:
IMHO, I would not have another medical unless/until CIC requests one from you. It's not all that uncommon for the officer to simply extend the validity of the original one...which would save you the time, money and hassle.

If they do request one, the only delay will be whatever time it takes to schedule an appointment, since the results are sent electronically to CIC.

Just my $0.02