+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help with University selection (URGENT!!)

Oct 6, 2020
Category........
STUDY
Hey guys, I am planning to apply to these universities for MSc in data analytics (COURSE BASED) for fall 2021

Simon Fraser University
University of Ottawa
Trent University
Victoria university
Calerton University
And Ontario Tech

My academics are
B.Tech in Electronics and computer engineering- 3.66/4.0 CGPA (77%)
IELTS - 7.5 overall
6 months of internship and a paper publication in the related field

I need your help and guidance in helping me finalize Universities based on my chances of selection. I am also open to any other suggestions based on my accomplishments. FYI I have double-checked that I clear the basic requirements for the above mentioned Unis.
Thank you for your time and help.

Animesh15

Star Member
Apr 10, 2020
Hey guys, I am planning to apply to these universities for MSc in data analytics (COURSE BASED) for fall 2021

Simon Fraser University
University of Ottawa
Trent University
Victoria university
Calerton University
And Ontario Tech

My academics are
B.Tech in Electronics and computer engineering- 3.66/4.0 CGPA (77%)
IELTS - 7.5 overall
6 months of internship and a paper publication in the related field

I need your help and guidance in helping me finalize Universities based on my chances of selection. I am also open to any other suggestions based on my accomplishments. FYI I have double-checked that I clear the basic requirements for the above mentioned Unis.
Thank you for your time and help.
UVic, check.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Any sort of insights will be of great help. Thank you in advance
Ummm... with your profile, you should atleast apply in UBC or UToronto. You should be fine.
Both of these univs have half way decent TA-ship and RA-ship so should help you with expenses.

I mean you are applying in SFU which is in Vancouver so apply in UBC as well, you got nothing to lose. UToronto because it is the top dog in case of anything Data, Analytics and Machine learning. I mean deep-learning was practically invented in UToronto. Worst case they will reject you which does not matter. If they reject you it wont disqualify you from others.

Also, know that there are two type of programs : MENG and MASc. MEng tends to less focused on Research and MASc more focused on research. So choose accordingly. Usually MEng is slightly easier to get into.

Lastly, write GRE.. some programs recommend writing GRE to help your application. If you don't do well, just don't report the score.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Thank you for the advice. Will make sure I apply to tier 2 or below unis
I will say this : Canada does not have a ton of universities like their neighbour down south. Apply in ALL major univs (unless you want to avoid a particular univ for your own reasons, like its too cold for you to live or something). I will say apply in :

1. UBC
2. UToronto
3. U Waterloo
4. SFU
5. UVic
6. UCalgary
7. Mcgill Univ
8. U Winnipeg
9. U Alberta

Almost all of them have data science and ML focused degrees. And those who don't have courses so you can make your degree focused on it.

Jamesmario15

Jan 21, 2021
Please how do I apply for canada study permit? I just completed my B.sc in Accounting. Please I don't mind if you can guide me.. +2349030363976 whatsapp

Johnsnow 007

Champion Member
Jan 6, 2018
Nigeria
Please how do I apply for canada study permit? I just completed my B.sc in Accounting. Please I don't mind if you can guide me.. +2349030363976 whatsapp
Hello,

You have to first do some research on your own to have certain level of understanding about what you are going into. This may help you ask specific questions that best fit your situation.

You should do some reading on the thread to get some useful hint. You can as well follow @gcmsgram on Twitter. They will give you free answers to your questions.

Regards