+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help with TEER/NOC eligibility and multiple positions

photon23

Jul 29, 2019
Hi all,

I need some information on my situation.

Background info:
I'm currently on a PGWP and planning to apply via the CEC pathway. I have worked 2 jobs so far under my PGWP. My first job was as a fixed-term Marketing Intern for 6 months. This was a contract renewal/extension after I completed my co-op term at the same company, and my duties were the same as that of a Marketing Analyst (NOC 41402). Note: after my co-op term ended, I stopped working until I was able to apply for my PGWP, so there's no concern about illegally working.

After that ended, I worked as a Marketing Analyst (NOC 41402) at a different company for 10 months, and now I am currently looking for employment. Both of these roles seem to be TEER 1 roles, unless I am mistaken.

Job 1: Marketing Intern (most likely NOC 41402)
Time of employment: 6 months full time
Compensation: 18/hour

Job 2: Marketing Analyst (NOC 41402)
Time of employment: 10 months full time
Compensation: ~50k per year

I talked to an immigration consultancy and they said that my 'Marketing Intern' role may or may not be counted depending on the pay, as the pay rate has to be around the market rate.

Here are my questions:
Q1: Is there any validity to their claim about the pay rate?

Q2: If their claim is wrong, would there be any issue with using my 'Marketing Intern' role for my EE profile due to the title? My job title was literally 'Marketing Intern' and I am concerned that there may be some issues with this, even though I was working under PGWP and was compensated.

If my Marketing Intern role is NOT applicable, I may be able to work as a Restaurant Shift Manager (NOC 62020), which is a TEER 2 role, to obtain the final 2 months.

When I mentioned this to the consultant, they said there might be some issues as the TEER's are different, (as in, Marketing Analyst is a TEER 1 role and Shift Manager is a TEER 2 role) and that I actually need to have at least 1 year experience in one of the TEERs, but I shouldn't mix and match from 2 TEER levels.

Q3: Am I able to work as a Restaurant Shift Manager (TEER 2, NOC 62020) and combine it with my Marketing Analyst experience to reach 1 year Canadian work experience, or is the consultant correct in their claim?

Sorry for the lengthy post, thanks in advance to anyone who can share their experience and insight!