+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help with PR Application: Residence Question

camille89

Mar 2, 2017
Hi everyone! :)

I came to Canada as a tourist last June 2016, got my international student permit last February 2017 (remained in Canada but did a re-entry at the border to switch from tourist to student), and (surprisingly) got my Invitation to Apply for PR for the Express Entry FSW program just yesterday.

To be clearer on the timeline:
June 2016 - arrival in Canada as tourist
Feb 2017 - switched from tourist to international student
Mar 2017 - received ITA for PR

I'm now answering the initial online form application, and I have a few questions regarding my situation for the following:

Under Contact Details > Address History
  • Should I separate my addresses from when I was a tourist vs. from when I became an international student?(they are the same - SK)
  • If so, What address should I indicate during the time I was a tourist? My address from my home country or where I stayed here? I stayed in BC for about 2 months, then visited AB for 2 weeks and eventually settled in SK about September 2016.

Under Personal History > Travel History
  • Given my situation, should I include my travel to Canada as part of this travel history? (Since Canada is now my place of residence)
  • If so, do I indicate just the tourist part? Or should I have 2 separate entries for tourist (from June 2016-Feb 2017) and student (from Feb 2017 - ongoing)?

It's quite a tricky situation and I was wondering if anyone went through the same scenario.

Thank you so much! :)

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just to clarify given as a tourist the usual max stay is 6 months but your post implies June 2016 through Feb 2017 when you flagpoled for a student visa. Given you got a student permit anyway just clarity for other readers in case comes up in the PR application.

camille89

Mar 2, 2017
Bs65 said:
Just to clarify given as a tourist the usual max stay is 6 months but your post implies June 2016 through Feb 2017 when you flagpoled for a student visa. Given you got a student permit anyway just clarity for other readers in case comes up in the PR application.
For the benefit of other readers, I was able to successfully apply for a tourist visa extension last November 2016, hence the tourist stay for more than 6 months.