+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help with "have you ever used any other name?"

justbeelieve

Apr 18, 2021
Hi everyone! I am trying to fill out the application form for my study visa, but I don't know whether to click Yes or No to the question "Have you ever used any other name?" My passport states the following:
Last Name: Sewani
Given Name: Bani Ravi

Ravi is supposed to be my middle name as it's the name of my father, but since the passports issued by my country don't have the middle name option, they just put it in the given name section. A couple of years back, I was advised to correct my info on my birth certificate so that my middle name (Ravi) would now be a part of my given name and would match my passport. So, that's what I did. Now, the corner of my birth certificate has a small paragraph stating "The child's full name is hereby corrected to "Bani Ravi Sewani."

If you were to read this, you wouldn't really notice a difference since it could still be presumed that Ravi is my middle name. They weren't specific enough to state that Ravi is now a part of my given name. However, my passport does still state that Bani Ravi is my given name. My high school diploma also lists my name as Bani R. Sewani.

I don't know what to do. My sister told me to just select no to not overcomplicate things but I am scared as I do want to apply for PR eventually. I'm really confused and I just want the process to be smooth and over as soon as possible. I just don't understand why everything is so inconsistent. Can you please help me? :(