+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help with flagpoling for SOWP

savik

Jan 29, 2018
Hi all
We recently moved to Canada a month ago. My husband is studying here with a study permit ending on march 2020. I'm here on multiple entry visitor visa. I would like to apply for SOWP. Can I do this at the border?
I have read situations where people flagpoled for PGWPs, WPs and extensions of SOWP and activation of PR. Has anyone flagpoled for a new SOWP? What documents would I need to carry apart from my husbands study permit, my SOWP application form, Passport with visitor visa, marriage certificate, bank statement and fee. I don't have a job offer yet. And neither is my husband working yet (Part-time). Would it sill be possible for me to get my SOWP at the border?
[P.S: Both of us have valid US visitor visa. We are thinking of doing it at Peace arch or Point Roberts]
I would really appreciate any suggestions or advice.
Thank you

bala29may

Jan 23, 2018
Tried that on Sarnia border and Niagra peace bridge. It didn't work.

In fact we were told "You can't just show up at the border and ask us for a work permit". Officers were super harsh !!

savik

Jan 29, 2018
Tried that on Sarnia border and Niagra peace bridge. It didn't work.

In fact we were told "You can't just show up at the border and ask us for a work permit". Officers were super harsh !!
Thanks for the reply.
Were you also applying for SOWP of an international student?

bala29may

Jan 23, 2018
No, I have sponsored PR for my wife. She is in canada as a visitor for now. We tried to flagpole so that she can apply for SOWP and the officers wanted us to apply online. They were super harsh - Atleast in Ontario.

They give you stupid explanation like we are the border services. We are here to protect the border not give a work permit blah blah.

But try your luck. All the best

savik

Jan 29, 2018
No, I have sponsored PR for my wife. She is in canada as a visitor for now. We tried to flagpole so that she can apply for SOWP and the officers wanted us to apply online. They were super harsh - Atleast in Ontario.

They give you stupid explanation like we are the border services. We are here to protect the border not give a work permit blah blah.

But try your luck. All the best
Thanks for your time and reply

rickyhai11

Jan 12, 2018
Thanks for your time and reply
Dear Savik,

How was your flagpole ? Did you change to SOWP successfully at Peace Arch border ? Would be highly appreciated if you could share your status and the list of documents that the officer required. Thank you so much.

Brunanurb

Dec 16, 2018
I would strongly recommend you to apply online if you can wait the 7 weeks process. I got a friend who went to the Stanstead border to apply with her common law partner for a SWOP. The offices understood they didn’t have enough proves of their one year relationship. But guess what, instead of denying her request and let her come back in as a tourist, they didn’t believe she would not work/over stay. She couldn’t return to Canada. They have a distance relationship now. BIG DRAMA when they could have waited the online process

Tigre200820

Dec 26, 2019
Hi all
We recently moved to Canada a month ago. My husband is studying here with a study permit ending on march 2020. I'm here on multiple entry visitor visa. I would like to apply for SOWP. Can I do this at the border?
I have read situations where people flagpoled for PGWPs, WPs and extensions of SOWP and activation of PR. Has anyone flagpoled for a new SOWP? What documents would I need to carry apart from my husbands study permit, my SOWP application form, Passport with visitor visa, marriage certificate, bank statement and fee. I don't have a job offer yet. And neither is my husband working yet (Part-time). Would it sill be possible for me to get my SOWP at the border?
[P.S: Both of us have valid US visitor visa. We are thinking of doing it at Peace arch or Point Roberts]
I would really appreciate any suggestions or advice.
Thank you
HI, did you finished this process? How was your experience?