+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help! What should I do if PGWP will expire soon and I want to stay in CA!!

chat916916

Feb 9, 2016
Hello Everyone,

Here is my issue-PGWP will be expire in March 2016 but my entry visa will be expired in Feb 2017. I would like to ask do I need to apply any other permit (except study permit) or document to stay in Canada legally(there are almost 11 month gap)? Normally, Work permit's expiration date should be same as the entry visa.

I called CIC, and they said I must follow the work permit ended date, but other immigration lawyer/consultants said, as long as you are not leaving the country, you can stay in Canada as a visitor.

need help for some advices!!!!!!

Thanks and regards,

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You could apply to change your extend or change your condition,
How long you had your PGW? If you’re current PGWP valid for only 2 years you might be able to get the 3rd year back from cic.
Other than this try to find work, so you could maintain the foreign worker status.

chat916916

Feb 9, 2016
Ottawa-applicant said:
You could apply to change your extend or change your condition,
How long you had your PGW? If you’re current PGWP valid for only 2 years you might be able to get the 3rd year back from cic.
Other than this try to find work, so you could maintain the foreign worker status.
Thanks for your response.

My PGWP is three years. I believe I can either apply Study permit or Visitor record to extend stay in Canada.

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chat916916 said:
Thanks for your response.

My PGWP is three years. I believe I can either apply Study permit or Visitor record to extend stay in Canada.
If you apply to change your condition to stay as visitor, based don what? I'm afraid cic might not consider this without valid reason. Best option to go back to school and get study permit.

Good luck,

chat916916

Feb 9, 2016
Ottawa-applicant said:
If you apply to change your condition to stay as visitor, based don what? I'm afraid cic might not consider this without valid reason. Best option to go back to school and get study permit.

Good luck,

ohh, sorry to mention that I am in processing to apply ONPNP and then I would like to say I want to wait for my PNP application results and travel ? I hope that is a valid reason. :D :D

mikko008

Feb 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Visa Office......
Vancouver
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
13-OCT-2016
Doc's Request.
4-NOV-2016
Nomination.....
10-NOV-2016
AOR Received.
13-APR-2017
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
Unknown
Med's Request
01-03-2018
Med's Done....
05-03-2018
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Not Yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not Yet
LANDED..........
Not Yet (Inland Applicant)
Hi chat916916,

According to CIC regulations, implied status can only exist if you are waiting for a decision on a PR Application (PNP is not a PR application), therefore, I'm afraid there is no absolute ground for the immigration officer to extend your open work permit, although it is also subjective, depending on the individual immigration officer who's dealing with your open work permit extension case. If he's nice, he'll probably give it to you, but again, the implied status doesn't exist. Another other way for you to extend your work permit is to ask your employer to try to apply for a positive LMIA for you. If the employer can get a positive LMIA for you, then you can use this LMIA to support your work permit application, and it's gonna be a closed work permit, which means you can only work for this specific employer whose name appears on your closed work permit (in contrast to a open work permit). Hope it gives you more information.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
chat916916 said:
ohh, sorry to mention that I am in processing to apply ONPNP and then I would like to say I want to wait for my PNP application results and travel ? I hope that is a valid reason. :D :D
Once your application for ONPNP is accepted can't you apply for a BOWP to cover your extended stay?

ChrisCornel

Star Member
Jul 2, 2015
chat916916 said:
Hello Everyone,

Here is my issue-PGWP will be expire in March 2016 but my entry visa will be expired in Feb 2017. I would like to ask do I need to apply any other permit (except study permit) or document to stay in Canada legally(there are almost 11 month gap)? Normally, Work permit's expiration date should be same as the entry visa.

I called CIC, and they said I must follow the work permit ended date, but other immigration lawyer/consultants said, as long as you are not leaving the country, you can stay in Canada as a visitor.

need help for some advices!!!!!!

Thanks and regards,

Hi Chat, how's is going for your application on Restoration+VisitVisa?