+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NEED HELP: What is NOC CODE for Postdoctoral Scholar in Computer Science?!

karthik506

Apr 5, 2016
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
4011 & 4012
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
07-05-2017
AOR Received.
07-05-2017
samanta60 said:
Thanks karthik506. Did he do teaching as part of his duties?
No. He did not teach anything...

samanta60

Sep 7, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2017
AOR Received.
16-01-2017
IELTS Request
19-02-2017
File Transfer...
23-02-2017
Med's Done....
25-02-2017 (BG IP: 25-02-2017, BG NA: 09-03-2017, BG IP2: 25-03-2017)
I sent an email to noc@workingincanada.gc.ca yesterday asking what NOC would be the right one for postdoc in Computer Scence with main duty being research. I just received an email sent as a reply to that email but sent from NC-NOC-CNP-GD2@hrsdc-rhdcc.gc.ca suggesting the NOC:

4012 Post-secondary teaching and research assistants

In the description of 4012 you read:

Employment requirements:
Enrolment in a university or college program is required.

This means the requirement is being a student, right? But postdocs are not students.
Any ideas or experiences?

Thanks

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Oh dear. Looks like the NOC is a couple of decades behind the time, where your field is concerned.

I would suggest looking at these 3 - if you have a degree in another cognate discipline (e.g. physics) you might want to look that up.

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2011/ProfileQuickSearch.aspx?val=2&val1=2147&val65=research

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2011/ProfileQuickSearch.aspx?val=4&val1=4161&val65=research

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2011/ProfileQuickSearch.aspx?val=2&val1=2161&val65=research

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
samanta60 said:
I sent an email to noc@workingincanada.gc.ca yesterday asking what NOC would be the right one for postdoc in Computer Scence with main duty being research. I just received an email sent as a reply to that email but sent from NC-NOC-CNP-GD2@hrsdc-rhdcc.gc.ca suggesting the NOC:

4012 Post-secondary teaching and research assistants

In the description of 4012 you read:

Employment requirements:
Enrolment in a university or college program is required.

Yeah... that NOC appears to have been written for graduate student TAs/RAs, hence the "enrollment" requirement. I would personally steer clear of that one, would not want to confuse a VO into thinking you were a student (meaning, your work experience would be excluded).

damitdada

Star Member
Jul 3, 2017
Hello all,
I am a postdoctoral scholar in Computer science in Canada. I am not sure at all what NOC code to use for this job. My main duty is research and assisting with the supervision of junior trainees, writing reviews on relevant research papers and occasionally participation in conferences and workshops (No teaching duties).

1) Shall I use 4011 which is for professors and also includes postdocs? The problem is the main duty for 4011 is teaching!
Does anyone has experience with this situation and used a NOC which was accepted?

2) My second question is, I have been holding another postdoc position abroad in the same field before coming to Canada. Duties were similar, except I occasionally did some teaching too.
What NOC can I use for that?

I will really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Samanta
HI....

I am in the similar situation...About to create my EE profile....I have a Ph.D. in chemistry, after which I worked as a Research Associate in a CSIR project (1 year and 8 months) followed by a three-year postdoc...What would u suggest me to use as my NOC...2112 (chemist) or 4012 or 4011...Realy getting confused...

Thanks
Dr. Amit

damitdada

Star Member
Jul 3, 2017
Oh dear. Looks like the NOC is a couple of decades behind the time, where your field is concerned.

I would suggest looking at these 3 - if you have a degree in another cognate discipline (e.g. physics) you might want to look that up.

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2011/ProfileQuickSearch.aspx?val=2&val1=2147&val65=research

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2011/ProfileQuickSearch.aspx?val=4&val1=4161&val65=research

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2011/ProfileQuickSearch.aspx?val=2&val1=2161&val65=research
Hello

I am in the similar situation...About to create my EE profile....I have a Ph.D. in chemistry, after which I worked as a Research Associate in a CSIR project (1 year and 8 months) followed by a three-year postdoc...What would u suggest me to use as my NOC...2112 (chemist) or 4012 or 4011...Realy getting confused...

Thanks
Dr. Amit

xtjables

Nov 30, 2017
Hello all,
I am a postdoctoral scholar in Computer science in Canada. I am not sure at all what NOC code to use for this job. My main duty is research and assisting with the supervision of junior trainees, writing reviews on relevant research papers and occasionally participation in conferences and workshops (No teaching duties).

1) Shall I use 4011 which is for professors and also includes postdocs? The problem is the main duty for 4011 is teaching!
Does anyone has experience with this situation and used a NOC which was accepted?

2) My second question is, I have been holding another postdoc position abroad in the same field before coming to Canada. Duties were similar, except I occasionally did some teaching too.

Thanks,
Samanta

Hi Samanta,

Could you please clarify a bit which NOC did you apply? and have you already got your PR?

Which NOC number did you end up applying with?

I believe most of the PDFs matching NOC2121 with the same situation are still confused, and I am one of them...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Jables

ahmedmorra

Aug 10, 2017
Hello all,

Thanks,
Samanta
Hello, can I know which NOC code you used for your application? did your application get accepted?

damitdada

Star Member
Jul 3, 2017
Hello, can I know which NOC code you used for your application? did your application get accepted?
My duties was purely research based and didn't involve any teaching element...Hence, I have selected NOC related to my occupation that is Chemist 2112 rather than 4011.. I did email HRSDC to assist me choose my NOC (http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/ContactUs.aspx)..In reply to email it was clearly stated that....

"When determining your NOC code, even though the job title and the employment requirements are important,emphasis is placed on the main duties. We encourage you to choose the NOC code that corresponds to the education and experience required by your employer as well as to the majority of your main duties"

I think you should go with the NOC which matches with you main duties rather than focusing on job title...

Hope it helps

Regards
Dr. Amit Trivedi

ahmedmorra

Aug 10, 2017
My duties was purely research based and didn't involve any teaching element...Hence, I have selected NOC related to my occupation that is Chemist 2112 rather than 4011.. I did email HRSDC to assist me choose my NOC (http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/ContactUs.aspx)..In reply to email it was clearly stated that....

"When determining your NOC code, even though the job title and the employment requirements are important,emphasis is placed on the main duties. We encourage you to choose the NOC code that corresponds to the education and experience required by your employer as well as to the majority of your main duties"

I think you should go with the NOC which matches with you main duties rather than focusing on job title...

Hope it helps

Regards
Dr. Amit Trivedi
Thanks a lot. What about NOC code 4012 for TA and RA, I do not have any TA duties so can I apply for the RA duties only?