+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help urgently -- University recognition issue

rohit10191

Feb 7, 2016
Hi guys

My name is Rohit Singh and I am working as a software engineer in India for the past 2.5 years. I am trying to immigrate to Canada either by the FSWP or by means of getting admission in a Canadian university for my masters. However, I am faced with lots of troubles. Request your assistance with the same.

1. FSWP

- I have a full time 4 year Bachelors of Technology (B.Tech) degree in Electrical and Electronics engineering. CGPA 8.60/10. The problem - My college is affiliated to Sikkim Manipal University, which is a recognized university in India but, it's distance education wing(SMU-DE), however, is blacklisted.

- WES has refused to evaluate any transcripts from Sikkim Manipal University, irrespective of the college one has studied in. There are other agencies such as ICES, IQAS and ICAS that might evaluate my credentials, but I am not sure as of now if they will recognize my degree.

-Please suggest which agency I should approach for credential evaluation.

2. Masters

- After the express entry issue, I decided to go ahead and try to get admission in a masters program in Canada (Ontario), and then hopefully apply for PR in the CEC class under the Ontario PNP scheme.

- I approached many immigration agencies in India. One look at my GPA and they gave me high hopes for admission. I specifically told them that I had had problems with credential assessment in the past. They said that credentials wont be a problem since your GPA is good.

- Took help of a study abroad consultant. After paying her fees she gives me the names of three not so good colleges and universities. When I asked her the reason, she replied that your university's reputation is not that great in Canada. and you might have extremely limited options to apply. Pissed me off to the core.

-Could anyone please let me know if I can apply for Masters in engineering management at University of Ottawa or Masters of Business Analytics at Carleton University, with my university cred ? Also, if anyone knows about any other university that might accept my cred? The only reason I am still trying for Canada is because my college senior managed to get admission into Rotman, so I hope that even I might have a chance of getting accepted at a uni.

Please help me guys. Fall deadlines approaching and I still have no clue how to proceed.

Thanks in advance

Rohit

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. If WES has refused to recognize your education then assume the other assessment agencies will as well.

2. If you want to apply to Carleton or University of Ottawa - you don't need the help of a consultant. You can do it yourself. I would recommend you take a look at the requirements to apply on the web sites of these universities. If you believe you meet them - then go ahead and apply directly.

rohit10191

Feb 7, 2016
Hi Scylla

Thanks for your response.

I found out that another agency called the ICAS recognizes my credentials. The problem is that their evaluation process takes about 25 weeks to complete. That is about 6 months ! If nothing works out then I will have to take this route.

Also, I will be applying to Carleton and uOttawa myself, without the help of a consultant. My only concern is whether they will recognize my previous degree or not. Would you happen to have an idea about how these universities evaluate foreign degrees?? Do they get these degrees evaluated from an assessment agency, or something else?

That would be of great help!

Thanks in advance

Rohit

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sorry - can't help you with that question. You should ask the universities directly.