+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Help! Trying to figure out NOC code for a Software Trainer in an IT Company

prasenjit1986

Star Member
Jul 16, 2016
Hi Folks,

Once again I'm here asking for help from this esteemed forum :)

My wife worked in the Training Dept of a giant Indian IT MNC. Her main job was to design training modules and impart training on specific software to new engineering joinees at the organization. But interestingly, her job title there was Sr. Software Engineer.

So I'm confused - what NOC code should we be using since she hasn't done any work which an typical Software Engineer (NOC 2173) does. Her job aligns more with a teaching kind of profession, but not sure if putting that job description reduces her CRS score.

P.S We are also thinking of completing dropping this particular experience from her profile, since in Feb next year - she'll complete 3 years working as a Software Testing Engineer.

Any pointers would be very helpful.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prasenjit1986 said:
Hi Folks,

My wife worked in the Training Dept of a giant Indian IT MNC. Her main job was to design training modules and impart training on specific software to new engineering joinees at the organization. But interestingly, her job title there was Sr. Software Engineer.

So I'm confused - what NOC code should we be using since she hasn't done any work which an typical Software Engineer (NOC 2173) does. Her job aligns more with a teaching kind of profession, but not sure if putting that job description reduces her CRS score.

P.S We are also thinking of completing dropping this particular experience from her profile, since in Feb next year - she'll complete 3 years working as a Software Testing Engineer.

1 - Her job title is irrelevant, you have to make sure that whichever NOC code she picks matches the duties and responsibilities provided in her reference letter.

2 - If you're the principal applicant drop her foreign work experience. It adds no value to your application. When you receive an ITA you can put her work experience in the "personal history" section and you won't be required to provide any documents.

Cheers ;)

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
prasenjit1986 said:
Hi Folks,

While selecting the NOC, the duties and responsibilities mentioned in the NOC should be a close match with the actual duties and responsibilities carried out by you at the respective job. You need not match the duties and responsibilities word by word, but the idea is to have the closest match in terms of the spirit of the duties and responsibilities (at least 60%-70% match).

Also, NOC should be selected on the basis of the match of actual duties and responsibilities carried out by you rather than the designation match in the NOC list. If you are not sure of your NOC, write to noc@workingincanada.gc.ca with your job title, duties and responsibilities and educational qualification, they will help you find the closest fit.

prasenjit1986

Star Member
Jul 16, 2016
Stanlee said:
While selecting the NOC, the duties and responsibilities mentioned in the NOC should be a close match with the actual duties and responsibilities carried out by you at the respective job. You need not match the duties and responsibilities word by word, but the idea is to have the closest match in terms of the spirit of the duties and responsibilities (at least 60%-70% match).

Also, NOC should be selected on the basis of the match of actual duties and responsibilities carried out by you rather than the designation match in the NOC list. If you are not sure of your NOC, write to noc@workingincanada.gc.ca with your job title, duties and responsibilities and educational qualification, they will help you find the closest fit.
Hi Stanlee,
Thank you for your comments. I now have a better understanding of how to go about this problem - just one question though: if the work experience is split between two different NOCs, does it have an adverse effect on the scores - as long as the both NOCs are in Skill Level A?